• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1200 RT Centerstand technique?

R

RTFlyer

Honestly, I've resisted posting this. There's not supposed to be such a thing as a dumb question, but...:scratch

I seem to have a hard time getting my R1200RT on the centerstand. I'm a good size guy (5'11") of at least average strength, so I'm guessing that my technique is wrong. Where are you guys grabbing (while the panniers are on) with your right hand? Anybody care to share your technique? I'm guessing that a few us new owners could use the advice, but feel silly asking.

Larry,
Tho it's harder w/ the side cases on, you can still grab the rear hand grips. It's not so much that you're lifting the bike with the right hand, rather you're pushing down with your leg on the center stand. The right hand is for balance, mostly but also helps with inertia.

Rubber down
:usa

Never a dumb question.

What i do is put the bike on the side stand first and then get off and face the bike from the clutch side.

I place my left hand on the handlebar - right hand on the passanger grip as noted by rich223vt, i then push the bike off the sidestand.

At this balance point I push down on the centerstand with my right leg until I feel contact on both points of the centerstand and simultaneously stepdown on the centerstand and pull (ease) the bike backwards with my two hand contact points.

The majority of the force will be with your leg, your arms and hands are for guidance but can assist.

I always kept the panneirs on the RT and never had an issues.

BTW - i put my GT on the centerstand the same way.

Put foot on stand and straighten the bike until you feel both "feet" contact the ground.

Turn bars all the way left with left arm and grab the handle with a straight right arm.

Stand up by pushing DOWN on the stand with your leg, and pulling the bike back slightly with the bars.

ALL your weight should be on the right foot, standing on the center stand

Back and arms remain straight, DO NOT use back or arm muscles, only leg. Easy as pie once you get the technique down

Why do you turn the bars to the left? I hold the left grip but keep the bars strait. I agree with everyone that has posted on the rest of the technique.

Get the two contact points in place on ground, steady the bike anyway you like and stand on it. I find myself off the ground with the right foot applying all my weight. It's a nervous thing at first but you'll get it. That model year RT has really good counter weighting, it's easier to get up on the stand than my F800ST.
My arms and hands are doing nothing to lift, just steadying the bike.

I used the centerstand all day today. What I discovered is that I was just being a little too tentative. I had this fear of dumping the bike, so I wasn't using it regularly. Using it 5-6 times today has me on the right track. Just grab it and stomp down. Simple enough.

Thanks for the advice guys.

I used the centerstand all day today. What I discovered is that I was just being a little too tentative. I had this fear of dumping the bike, so I wasn't using it regularly. Using it 5-6 times today has me on the right track. Just grab it and stomp down. Simple enough.

Thanks for the advice guys.

There you go! I understand about being tentative, did the same thing myself and I was trying to lift the bike with my arms. Like that was going to happen! :laugh

Center stand

I used to own a LT so this is easy. Try doing all the above bike straight, use the left leg and a little rocking motion front to back pop right up. This stance allows for more defence against the weight if all is not right.

Try and see.

It's a Zen like thing, once you get it, you've got it. :laugh

Good advice above. You leg does the work.

Correct explanations here though not sure what the deal was about turning the front wheel left. When I use the center stand I tap the foot pedal on the ground to make sure it's planted well and then I slowly move the bike level ( left hand on handle bar, right hand on grab rail) until I feel the other side of the stand make good contact with the floor. I think I use my knee as a guide. Having the bike firmly on both left and right points will have it going up like butta when standing on the pedal.

If there is any needed caution it would to be careful not to go past that center point. Tilt the bike too hard or fast and it can get away on you by falling away.

I always put the sidestand down when removing the bike from the center stand. Sometomes the bike gets a little off-kilter, and it is nice to know that all I have to do is pull the bike to me and let it rest on the side stand. Just my 2 cents.

My last ride was a '96 RT before the '07 RT and it is different to get it on the center stand. I put my R foot on the stand and rock from L to R with my left foot off the ground when I use the center stand. You need to keep the bars straight so it rolls back real nice so you don't end up with the machine on top of you. I think they did a pretty good job with the center stand operation but it takes some getting used to for sure.

I also pull right off the center stand with my feet on the pegs with a sort of rocking motion, I know some will tell me one day I'll break the stand off the machine but, Oh well. I rode in the dirt for many years and I like to try and stay balanced while riding and sometimes it's kinda' neat to see how slow you can go while staying balanced.

I always put the sidestand down when removing the bike from the center stand. Sometomes the bike gets a little off-kilter, and it is nice to know that all I have to do is pull the bike to me and let it rest on the side stand. Just my 2 cents.

I go one step further. I initially put the sidestand down, rest the bike on it and then leave it down after putting the cycle on the centerstand. I suspect anyone who owned an airhead with a spring loaded sidestand will inderstand why.

Tom

Easier with a rear case

If you have a load like the rear case or similar, it shifts the balance enough to make it even easier to put on the center stand.

And if you have a lot of other stuff in your garage, using a Turn a Bike under the center stand makes a nice addition. Of extra interest if your dive is sloped right up to the garage door and you can't easily back pedal out.

I'm 5'-6", 185 lbs, and I have never had an issue with getting any BMW on the centerstand. Its all about technique. But I always have the handlebar straight ahead and do 90% of the lift with my right leg/foot. My arms simply guide and stabilize the bike. I can even get a K1200LT on the centerstand, but that is a bit more intense lift. no wimping out about it, and follow through. A 1/2 lift will get you in trouble.

I'm 5'-6", 185 lbs, and I have never had an issue with getting any BMW on the centerstand. Its all about technique. But I always have the handlebar straight ahead and do 90% of the lift with my right leg/foot. My arms simply guide and stabilize the bike. I can even get a K1200LT on the centerstand, but that is a bit more intense lift. no wimping out about it, and follow through. A 1/2 lift will get you in trouble.
+1 I'm virtually the same size, and agree completely, except for the part about the LT -- I find my '09 RT to be harder to put up on the centerstand than any of the LTs I owned (but still, the RT is easily managed). Technique (and practice) is the key.

Hi All,

I don't have any problems getting the bike up on the centerstand, but I do have a basic question...

Do you leave the bike in 1st gear when you put the bike up on the center stand?

And if so, when you take the bike down off the stand, and the bike is in 1st, is there any danger to the gear box as the bike is coming down and rolling forward those few inches?

I have a new R1200R, and am coming from an F800ST (that I always parked on it's sidestand, in 1st, with the front forks locked).

Sorry for the newbie question...

Thanks,
Jeff

Back