• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Thanking a local

Friday morning after driving in from Massachusetts I awoke in my tent to extreme pain in my lower back. My sciatic nerve was acting up again. Not knowing anyone I proceeded to the country store and found a member of the local chamber of commerce. That person steered my to one of their local friends who is an urgent care doctor. I rode over there after she made a personal call to him. I was really hurting at this point. The doctor took me in immediately and treated me. His bedside manor was great and his staff was very helpful. After being treated and my pain somewhat relieved at that point he urged me to get a hotel instead of camp. I said in quote, There are around 10,000 out of towners here, I probably won't be able to find a room. End quote. He told me to wait in his office. I few minutes later he came back and said he had secured a room for me very close to the rally at a hotel. He also said a member of his staff will go with me and help me tear down my tent and get me situated in my room at the hotel. He did not have to do this, I did not expect this type of treatment. Not only did his staff member help me to my room they went and got me something to eat, all on their own time. The only thing I can say is THANK YOU. If this is what you call southern hospitality, I like it.

Friday morning after driving in from Massachusetts I awoke in my tent to extreme pain in my lower back. My sciatic nerve was acting up again. Not knowing anyone I proceeded to the country store and found a member of the local chamber of commerce. That person steered my to one of their local friends who is an urgent care doctor. I rode over there after she made a personal call to him. I was really hurting at this point. The doctor took me in immediately and treated me. His bedside manor was great and his staff was very helpful. After being treated and my pain somewhat relieved at that point he urged me to get a hotel instead of camp. I said in quote, There are around 10,000 out of towners here, I probably won't be able to find a room. End quote. He told me to wait in his office. I few minutes later he came back and said he had secured a room for me very close to the rally at a hotel. He also said a member of his staff will go with me and help me tear down my tent and get me situated in my room at the hotel. He did not have to do this, I did not expect this type of treatment. Not only did his staff member help me to my room they went and got me something to eat, all on their own time. The only thing I can say is THANK YOU. If this is what you call southern hospitality, I like it.
That what's known as Southern Hospitality. Glad you got to experience it.

Motel?I am shocked that he didn't make you go stay at his house and refuse any money for food etc..I know my folks grew up in north Alabama and that is the way things are done.Hope you are feeling better.Ed

The locals from waitstaff to hotel staff to convenience clerks and barristas were to a person
gracious and helpful. Even with all of us pigpiling on them!
I'd be glad to get back to Tennessee again.

The locals from waitstaff to hotel staff to convenience clerks and barristas were to a person
gracious and helpful. Even with all of us pigpiling on them!
I'd be glad to get back to Tennessee again.

i second that.

the untold story are all the local people who helped our rally leaders put this show together.

(and... brought us some moonshine....)

ian

My experience with the local people in Johnson City and Gray was very positive.

From getting welcomed to Tennessee by someone in the parking lot at the local supermarket, to the person at Walmart that fixed my daughter's broken glasses and refused payment, to the employee at the supermarket offerring to drive us to another store where we could buy some wine.

We had a great time.

My experience with the local people in Johnson City and Gray was very positive.

From getting welcomed to Tennessee by someone in the parking lot at the local supermarket, to the person at Walmart that fixed my daughter's broken glasses and refused payment, to the employee at the supermarket offerring to drive us to another store where we could buy some wine.

We had a great time.
Yup. We found people in restaurants, stores, most anyplace we went were aware of the rally and very welcoming. When we got home we wrote a thank you letter to the newspaper in Johnson City, but have no idea if it was published. I'd return to TN in a heartbeat! :heart

Yup. We found people in restaurants, stores, most anyplace we went were aware of the rally and very welcoming. When we got home we wrote a thank you letter to the newspaper in Johnson City, but have no idea if it was published. I'd return to TN in a heartbeat! :heart

DITTO!

Very impressed with the politeness and hospitality of southern folk. Everywhere I traveled throughout KY, TN and NC during the Rally days, people were friendly and helpful.

A level of politeness I rarely see anymore here in the midwest.

My son and I just got back from a post-rally three-day ride to the French Lick area of southern Indiana (SR 135 is a hoot! - 28 miles of 'dragonesque' style curves and switchbacks!!), and found similar hospitality from all we encountered.

Good manners and good people make visits to the South a pleasure, for sure. :clap

Last edited:
We try to keep that our little secret.;)

You probably rode right past my house.

Well, after lunch in Nashville, IN, we picked up SR 135 just a 1/2 mile to the south, as it enters a state park.

After that, it was great sweeping curves and a fun ride......which we felt we deserved after three hours in the rain that morning, from Vicennes, IN to your corner of the woods!

Next time, I'll wave! :wave

Back