• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Seats for r1200gs

Just purchased a 2009 r1200 gs and i am not craisy about the seats...
Dont like corbin seats too heavy and too hard
not bill mayers to heavy
any other sugestion for good long distance traveling seats. Thank you

Me Too

I'm also just onto a 09 1200gs and have been sniffing around. Corbins seem to turn into stones. I've liked what I've seen [online] from Sargent, and have looked [online] at Russell. Tough to decide such things on their websites, but other's experiences may help.

GS seats

Seats are very dificult choice, you buy the wrong one's and you stuck with it.
I had corbin seats and they just suck
i am debating between three manufacture , sargent , russell , and bill mayer
for the 09 gs...
Anybody out there with some experience with this seats , will be greatly appriciated with some input.
Thank's

Sargent

I originally went with the Corbin and hated it. I switched to Sargent a few years ago and never looked back. Comfortable seat, well made, and good customer service. I currently have a Sargent seat on my 08 Adv and 09 GS. I just returned from a 11,000 mile trip on my Adv. No need to say any more...

Attachments

• GS and Adv.jpg
    GS and Adv.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 314
I also just read in another forum that there's been a lot of improvement noticed by those that have tried the high setting in the front while keeping the low in the back of the driver's seat. I may give this a try to see if it's a more comfortable fit. It's supposed to help out men quite a bit.

anyone got a corbin reat for 1200 gs that they would like to sell, i'm interested.

i have a corbin butt, have had 5 or 6 over the years with much success.

i think heavier folks like corbins more.

jason

GSA Lounge Chair

I can't comment on the Sargent or Corbin since I've never owned one but I will give a :thumb to a Russell. I had to get creative on the backrest for the passenger though. The wife was very skeptical that I could give her a comfy riding position on "that bike" after our last bike beingh an HD Ultra..... lol.

So here's a picture of my work in progress. I had to make a couple of brackets out of Stainless Steel to move the top case mounting bracket back 3" and relocate the hinges and latch on the top box so it would open from the side to allow the attachment of a Goldwing passenger backrest. The wife is very happy with the result! This winter I'll get it recovered in matching leather but for now it works great!

Attachments

• Seat 001a.jpg
    Seat 001a.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 245
I have had a Sargent on my'08 GS for about 3K miles, and I like it. The stock seat puts the pressure directly on the crotch, and the Sargent rolls you back and puts the pressure on the butt.

Try a search.

Use the search function here, bmwsporttouring, and the GSpot forum on ADVrider. Lots of saddle threads and reviews out there. Including my own.

I have a Sargent on my 12GS. The stocker hurt in less than 45 minutes, and a 200 mile day was torture. The Sargent gives me an easy 250 mile day, and a decent 400 mile day. When I hit more than 300 miles I'm ready to get off, but even after 400 miles on the Sargent I still feel better than with the stock seat after just a couple of hours. For me, the Sargent is not perfect, but is much better than stock.

BTW, I may still get a Russell because after 400 miles on the Sargent I'm really ready to stop for the day. The reason I got the Sargent is because I commute on my bike and I didn't want to send my seat to Russell and be without my bike for a month. For 95% of my riding the Sargent is fine, but on those ocassions where I want to ride all day the Sargent is a bit lacking where I suspect the Russell would be perfect. I'd just send my stock pan to Russell and continue to ride the Sargent, then sell the Sargent when I get it back.

BTW, I had a Corbin on my 1994 Honda CB1000. Heavier and firmer than the Sargent, and certainly better than Honda's stocker. I prefer the Sargents (had one on my R1150R, too), but I'd never quibble with those who prefer Corbin or anything else. Saddles are very personal thing.

Had my seat Spencerized, new foam put in the middle, shaved a bit off so the tilt forward is not as bad and carved out the back just a bit to make more of a pocket to sit in. Still has the stock look and cost $75. Made the seat much better. Can ride many hours with just the seat. Put on a sheepskin and I am good for all day. Longest so far is 17 hours and no monkey butt.

Back