Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Rally ROCKED!

Itinerant Traveler
    Favorite parts of the rally for me:

1) The fish guy vending out of his truck was AWESOME! I was sad I didn't find out about him until late Friday, but his food was great.

2) The GS challenge was great fun to watch. Ian and his crew did a fantastic job setting up that course and, if it is at all possible, this should be a staple for future rallies.

3) Seeing lots of people I knew but hadn't seen in a while. I set up a MotoDiscovery trip to Mexico for my customers (from all over the USA) in Nov 2007, and I think every one of them was on site.

4) Great riding area, but we knew that already, right?

5) As usual, I skipped the closing ceremonies because those things ALWAYS go on forever and I never win the bike. But one of my customers did

6) I chauffeured a friend with a broken wrist to the rally, her first MOA national (she would normally have ridden her own bike). It was fun to see her enjoy some of the experience as a rally virgin and remember my first MOA national in 1987. She jumped in and volunteered, met bunches of people, and had a really good time.

7) Teach McNeill doing stunts was a fun show. I've seen Christian Pfeiffer do his show, too, and they're both well worth watching.

8) The shuttle was a great idea, especially considering the size and hilliness of the fairgrounds.

9) I was recruited by MOA Prez Ray Zimmerman to be part of a focus group on MOA and BMW. I thought this was a great idea to get ideas, comments, and suggestions from the membership.

10) Again, the people. BMW riders are the best, hands down.

Steve Anderson
    Morton's BMW Motorcycles
    Fredericksburg, Virginia
    2002 R1150GS
    steve@mortonsbmw.com

Bikes, Guitars, and ... beemokat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebmw View Post
    Favorite parts of the rally for me:

6) I chauffeured a friend with a broken wrist to the rally, her first MOA national (she would normally have ridden her own bike). It was fun to see her enjoy some of the experience as a rally virgin and remember my first MOA national in 1987. She jumped in and volunteered, met bunches of people, and had a really good time.

Steve Anderson
    Morton's BMW Motorcycles
    Fredericksburg, Virginia
    2002 R1150GS
    steve@mortonsbmw.com
    I think your friend roomed with my friend...
    Wherever you go, there you are.

It was my first rally too. I tossed the pin. I camped with the Sherpa. Several campers/riders around me were first timers. They tossed their pins to. Some of us rode every day, some of us slept or read under the shade tent, some of us spent our time in the vendor area, and some of us did it all. The showers were close by. The porta-potties were just close enough. In one direction my tent was a tad down hill, in the other direction it was a tad up hill. The food was fine with me. The lemonade was perfect. The music was good. The beer was cold. Everyone I talked to was nice. I bought some stuff. The single plane air show was cool. The fireworks were cooler. The closing ceremony was pretty long, but I didn't go so no big deal to me. Its all what you make of it or its different things to different people or some such. I'll be back. Thanks to everyone who made it great...

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Come on now.... "The Rally Sucked" thread is leading 36 to 18.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

It was great!

The venue was great. There was enough space for almost 9K riders. The only shortcoming was that the food vendors weren't prepared for the Ride To Eat crowd.

It was close to great riding in nearly any direction. I tried getting lost in the hills and found a great gravel road that twisted along a ridge for nearly five miles. I was on the pegs the whole time. Then I noodled on NC backroads for 50 miles on the way back. Yay!

The Off-Road Trainers from BMW were excellent. They really know their stuff and were accessible to all who participated. The GS Challenge is a great addition to the rally. Keep up the good work.

Having a Noah's Tarp was worth the extra weight. We sat under it during one of the downpours on Thursday. Staying dry and not huddling in a vendor hall was really cool.

The spontaneous bluegrass playing was much more enjoyable than the oompah music at West Bend. Some of those guys can flat out play. One of our neighbors brought a backpacker's guitar. His noodling on the guitar was a nice complement to the mellow vibe of the campground.

The fireworks display was a bonus. Great job getting the show for free. It was about twice as long as the one my town put on this year.

Seeing old friends and making new ones was fun as usual. With any luck, I'll be riding across country with a good friend to Redmond next year. Who knows, maybe my better half will fly out for a couple of days to see what this rally thing is all about.
    Robert Peterson | Cary, NC | 68820
    cat herder and pixel pusher

xtek95

So glad i made it.

This was my first Annual Rally too. Really enjoyed talking with all the people who were eager to share their experiences.
    Music was excellent
    Plenty of port a potties
    Super rides just short distance away
    Lots of vendors
    Lots of BMW's
    Lots of friendly people
    Cool airshow
    Plenty of cold beer, and other liquid refreshments
    Great time overall.
    Spent so much time riding i missed all the classes i wanted to attend.
    Will definately consider riding from Missouri to Oregon next year, but would like to do in small group next time instead of solo.
    Like many things in life, the rally was what you made of it.

This was my first BMW MOA Rally.

What I liked:

1. Well organized (thank you to all the organizers and the volunteers);

2. Great seminars. I'd like to see more of those in future rallies;

3. Decent showers and always available when I needed;

4. Demo rides;

5. Great roads;

6. Traffic in and out o the rally was manageable.

A new attendee or new member social, as suggested in another thread, would have been helpful to people travelling alone like me.

I will definitely consider attending next year's rally, but would like to ride with a small group instead of solo.
    2004 BMW R1150RT

Stronger, Faster, Tougher iRene's Avatar
    I found the one little vendor on the fairway who was selling parts AND making
    espresso drinks.
    His tween daughter made an outstanding latte for me, and it was all the better for being
    both well made AND unexpected.

I tipped her heavily.
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Sled Dog Touring Team | RSMaine | MOVermont
    '08 R1200GS | '60 R60

Quote Originally Posted by tommcgee View Post
    Come on now.... "The Rally Sucked" thread is leading 36 to 18.
    Tom, you know the ones most likely to post are the unhappy ones. I'd guess the "Rally Sucked" vs. "Rally Rocked" ratio is more like 1 to 100!
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Tom, you know the ones most likely to post are the unhappy ones. I'd guess the "Rally Sucked" vs. "Rally Rocked" ratio is more like 1 to 100!
    not if you consider that half of "sucked" contains positive comments.

i think my favorite part of the rally was the people of tennessee.

in addition to just plain friendly non-motorcycling locals, the east tennessee pterodactyls (club #63) provided a TON of help... everything from their local contacts to working tirelessly on-site throughout the entire rally.

there's a reason it's called the volunteer state.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.
    __________________________________________________ ________
    '67 Trail 90 || '86 R80 G/SPD+ || '97 F650ST || '00 1150 GS || '06 HP2e

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    not if you consider that half of "sucked" contains positive comments.

i think my favorite part of the rally was the people of tennessee.

in addition to just plain friendly non-motorcycling locals, the east tennessee pterodactyls (club #63) provided a TON of help... everything from their local contacts to working tirelessly on-site throughout the entire rally.

there's a reason it's called the volunteer state.

ian
    +1

And I'll add that there wasn't a single native I encountered in any state South of the Mason-Dixon that wasn't as friendly as they come. From store clerks, to lunch counter cooks to cagers at gas stations, everyone was delightfully curious and conversational about my (our) origin and destination.

A big thank you to all the people of the South.

Thumbs up I had a blast in Tennessee

From a solo trip to the rally in a day and a half to the music and fireworks, good friends and new friends, I had a great time!

Not to mention the fantastic roads everywhere I went before, during and after the rally! The low point was picking up a head injured HD rider after an accident...wear a fuc%?┬źn helmet ok? I got blood on my jacket, and he won’t be riding any time soon.

Unlike so many of you, my way of finding roads was to get lost, come out of the twisties somewhere in the Carolinas! OMG what twisty unending roads! Everywhere! You guys that live here are spoiled rotten! Out in MN, we have some twisties, but nothing like what you got there! OUTRAGIOUS!! Thanks for the GREAT hospitality everywhere I went, you people of Tennessee are great!

On Sunday, I ate lunch with my 95 yr old Aunt, Cousin and her 15 yr old daughter, in Elizabethton, then headed up by the Watuga River into places unknown and ended up four hours later and a million pavement and dirt twisty roads later in the Carolinas! I came back home later after a visit to Nashville and trip back up the Mississippi from Memphis to Minneapolis, following Alton Browns’ footsteps until the rain took me home. This trip and Rally rocked!

3000+ miles, 11 states, Barbeque at least at dozen meals and done right (burp) and a trip to remember! It was my third National, and all have rocked as far as I'm concerned.

Red

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    Unlike so many of you, my way of finding roads was to get lost, come out of the twisties somewhere in the Carolinas! OMG what twisty unending roads! Everywhere! You guys that live here are spoiled rotten! Red
    I live here in the mountains and don't carry a map. We meet frequently on Wednesday mornings for breakfast and decide on the direction we are going to ride. We don't know or care what roads we take or where we end up. We ride in that direction until we have lunch somewhere and they head in the general direction toward home but on different roads. Almost all roads comes across a familiar road sooner or later and we can proceed homel. You're not lost if you don't care where you are.

We've always found our way home and have never had a bad ride in the mountains.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Talking

I loved the rally! My 6 year old did too.
    The children's area was great, I never dreamed I could leave my child with someone and then go to a seminar! All my child talked about was getting to break a pinata on the last day.
    My 6 yr old really loved the dunk tank. We watched numerous people hit and not hit the target.
    The thai food and homemade ice cream was awesome! The fruit stand was great too! I wish I would have known about the fish.
    The local food was great too. We went to Gino's and it was the best Italian food I have had in awhile.
    The demo ride was great!
    The sale on BMW gear was great. I got a whole suit!
    Donna
    Last edited by bmwmotowoman; 07-23-2009 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling
    "If you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride"

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar

a few of my favorite things

• Hot coffee and Krispee Kreme donuts
    • rides to the hot showers, we never used the trailer trucks
    • Plenty of green space in our camping area
    • ear plugs
    • meeting new friends
    • YB Tent
    • great hills for walking