• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Rally ROCKED!

Visian

look out!!!
that's what t thought... and so did most others.

let's put all the well-deserved kudos here. :thumb

ian

In :thumb No complaints about the rally experience at all.

• I was pleasantly surprised by the availability of campsites even as we pulled in Friday evening
  • I was pleasantly surprised by the condition of the portolets and the presence of the little portable sinks; I never had to wait and I was never short on TP either
  • the showers were decent and neither of us ever had to wait for one
  • there was a lot of tasty, cheap food and drink available
  • registration was fast and painless (we preregistered)
  • it only took us a few minutes to wend our way in and no delays at all in leaving (the traffic flow seemed well-thought-out to us)
  • there were tons of vendors
  • we thought the BMW motorrad stunt rider was awesome
  • the evening music acts were excellent
  • the airshow was an awesome surprise
  • the company, of course, was unparalleled

+1 would camp again.

1)The cantelope people
2)The music
3)The beer
4)The vendors
5)The ease of manueverability around the site
6)My quiet camping neighbors-seriously thank you
7)The way some of you have your bikes lit up and farkled
8)The showers in the air conditioned building
9)The complete lack of loud pipes
10)The weather channel

I made my first rally and had a great time. very nice people and wonderfull roads.

I may not make Oregon, but will make another rally.

Thanks to all of you who voluntered, When I rode in Friday morning there were folks standing out in the rain giving newbies like me directions to a place to park and hot coffee. Heck they were even smiling.

Had a wonderfull time

I've attended lots of small rallies but this was my first visit to the Big One.

I was impressed with the friendlieness of all of the volunteers, from registration all the way through traffic control as I departed.

The music? Outstanding! And to be able to purchase a few brews without having to leave the rally site... even better.

I was camped in the ballfields near the beer garden and my neighbors were friendly, plote and quiet once the music ended. I slept better than I expected.

No complaints here. Just kudos for everyone who had a hand in pulling this one off nicely. :thumb

This was my 1st BMWMOA.

What can I say....it was the best! People were very friendly...good food...good music...great vendors(left some cash)...great riding!

I went by myself...everyone made me feel like very welcome and were very friendly! If you were there and felt alone....you weren't trying very hard to meet people!

Next year I am going to step up and volunteer...that way I can meet more people!

Thanks to all the volunteers!!

By the way ....where is next years rally?

The rally rocked, no doubt about it! I had a great campsite, I enjoyed my volunteer shift at registration (Thurs. a.m.)...what a hoot! The vendors had everything it seemed. I actually got to buy new Metzlers and have them mounted in almost no time(big difference).
I'll never be a rally virgin (or young 'un) again. Everyone was super friendly. My group, the Chromeheads, had a wonderful turnout, way cool.
I will try to attend these, when possible, for a long time.
Thanks to the organizers!

Greg

1-great roads getting there on 421 was a blast.
2-good vendor food at a good price-one even told me he was so impressed with us he was buying a new bmw within a couple weeks!
3-getting to meet with some on here and adv rider in person.
I guess i could go on ,but well ,you know

A great rally

This was my 18th MOA National (my first was the Second National Rally @Table Rock., SC in '74.)

I would have to rate it in my top 5 of all the Nationals. York, PA, Redmond, WA, West Bend, WI, and Lima,OH are up there and I think the '09 National was even better organized and had more things to see and do . Gonna have to think about it, but the 37th National may go down as the Best National Rally! :dance

Great job Chairs!

(Now, if we could just correct the TN alcohol board about their crazy rules about beer sales and distances from churches--maybe we could have beer from the Beer Tent while we watched our musical acts!):dunno

Last edited:
So great to have a gluten-free beer available

To the folks that decided what beers would be available: THANK YOU! I never expected to find a gluten free beer at the rally. I was such a great surprise.

Closing Cermony

I think the folks who planned this out did a great job. Yes, it ran an hour and a half, but that is short by past rallies that I have attended.

It seems that the reason that it ran long was because of all the "must be present to win" drawings that took multiple tries to produce a winner.

How about having a single shot for a drawing and if it doesn't produce a winner, save the next n tries to the end of the program - either before or after the grand prize.

That way, the program can stay closer to schedule, presenters don't need to be worrying about how to shorten their particular bit and NO ONE will complain about the end as they can either leave or hang out to see if they won anything.

Again - great job by the folks who planned the whole closing thing out!

I liked Ian's Mosh Pit for GS riders. That site took an S load of work to prepare and make ready. The rain at one point provided an extra challenge.

Thanks for an event spectators loved.

Paul

+1 for the Rally rocked!

I have had different rally experiences all three times that I've been. Both of the other rallies (Vermont, West Bend) rocked, and this one did too...all were different experiences from each other. Highlights: The shuttle, the music (the other 2 were fine, but this was EXCEPTIONAL), the produce stand....and most of all...THE PEOPLE!

Had a great time!

I posted some tweaks in the other thread but overall I had a great time. The riding was exceptional, the rally is just a backdrop and value added.
Ron

Favorite parts of the rally for me:

1) The fish guy vending out of his truck was AWESOME! I was sad I didn't find out about him until late Friday, but his food was great.

2) The GS challenge was great fun to watch. Ian and his crew did a fantastic job setting up that course and, if it is at all possible, this should be a staple for future rallies.

3) Seeing lots of people I knew but hadn't seen in a while. I set up a MotoDiscovery trip to Mexico for my customers (from all over the USA) in Nov 2007, and I think every one of them was on site.

4) Great riding area, but we knew that already, right?

5) As usual, I skipped the closing ceremonies because those things ALWAYS go on forever and I never win the bike. But one of my customers did :thumb

6) I chauffeured a friend with a broken wrist to the rally, her first MOA national (she would normally have ridden her own bike). It was fun to see her enjoy some of the experience as a rally virgin and remember my first MOA national in 1987. She jumped in and volunteered, met bunches of people, and had a really good time.

7) Teach McNeill doing stunts was a fun show. I've seen Christian Pfeiffer do his show, too, and they're both well worth watching.

8) The shuttle was a great idea, especially considering the size and hilliness of the fairgrounds.

9) I was recruited by MOA Prez Ray Zimmerman to be part of a focus group on MOA and BMW. I thought this was a great idea to get ideas, comments, and suggestions from the membership.

10) Again, the people. BMW riders are the best, hands down.

Steve Anderson
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Fredericksburg, Virginia
2002 R1150GS
steve@mortonsbmw.com

Favorite parts of the rally for me:

6) I chauffeured a friend with a broken wrist to the rally, her first MOA national (she would normally have ridden her own bike). It was fun to see her enjoy some of the experience as a rally virgin and remember my first MOA national in 1987. She jumped in and volunteered, met bunches of people, and had a really good time.

Steve Anderson
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Fredericksburg, Virginia
2002 R1150GS
steve@mortonsbmw.com

I think your friend roomed with my friend...

It was my first rally too. I tossed the pin. I camped with the Sherpa. Several campers/riders around me were first timers. They tossed their pins to. Some of us rode every day, some of us slept or read under the shade tent, some of us spent our time in the vendor area, and some of us did it all. The showers were close by. The porta-potties were just close enough. In one direction my tent was a tad down hill, in the other direction it was a tad up hill. The food was fine with me. The lemonade was perfect. The music was good. The beer was cold. Everyone I talked to was nice. I bought some stuff. The single plane air show was cool. The fireworks were cooler. The closing ceremony was pretty long, but I didn't go so no big deal to me. Its all what you make of it or its different things to different people or some such. I'll be back. Thanks to everyone who made it great...:dance

It was great!

The venue was great. There was enough space for almost 9K riders. The only shortcoming was that the food vendors weren't prepared for the Ride To Eat crowd. :)

It was close to great riding in nearly any direction. I tried getting lost in the hills and found a great gravel road that twisted along a ridge for nearly five miles. I was on the pegs the whole time. Then I noodled on NC backroads for 50 miles on the way back. Yay!

The Off-Road Trainers from BMW were excellent. They really know their stuff and were accessible to all who participated. The GS Challenge is a great addition to the rally. Keep up the good work.

Having a Noah's Tarp was worth the extra weight. We sat under it during one of the downpours on Thursday. Staying dry and not huddling in a vendor hall was really cool.

The spontaneous bluegrass playing was much more enjoyable than the oompah music at West Bend. Some of those guys can flat out play. One of our neighbors brought a backpacker's guitar. His noodling on the guitar was a nice complement to the mellow vibe of the campground.

The fireworks display was a bonus. Great job getting the show for free. It was about twice as long as the one my town put on this year.

Seeing old friends and making new ones was fun as usual. With any luck, I'll be riding across country with a good friend to Redmond next year. Who knows, maybe my better half will fly out for a couple of days to see what this rally thing is all about. :)

Back