Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rally Sucked

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinohio View Post
    My ONLY complaint is this--I was by myself, and I wore my little "#1" pin when I was there. I'm a socialble guy but I guess my only disappointment was that not a lot of people went out of their way to say "hi" or speak to me unless I initiated the conversation. It seemed a lot of you knew one another and I felt like an outsider the whole time I was there. I know there was a lot of cathing up to do among friends but I guess, well I don't know, it was a slight turn-off.
    Add me to the list of people that had no idea what the pin meant.

I also agree that some food inside the beer area would have been a good idea (and they would have made a killing).

As a vendor I'd suggest some vendor list with booth addresses. I had a lot of people asking me if I knew where XYZ was and were upset that it wasn't in the rally book. My explination to them was that the books are printed far in advance and vendors get added/subtracted/moved up to rally time so it is hard for the club to do that.

Maybe some kind of 8.5x11 paper with a map on one side and a name/location on the other side handed out at registration, or perhaps a board like you see in malls with a map and listing near the Country Store so people can reference.

Lightbulb Riding at the rally site...

Quote Originally Posted by beemerdon View Post
    Okay, I'll jump in here. I thought it was nuts to route ALL traffic thru the vendor area. On the plus side, the one way rule was a good idea. But on the down side, the one-way rule routed you OUT of the fairgrounds (had to wear your helmet just to go to the shower) and then back into the grounds. On the plus side, there was plenty of green grassy areas on which to set up the tent. But, they were on a 30% slope!

I especially liked the way they paved the interstate intersection on the first day of the rally; go TNDOT!

Don
    It probably wouldn't hurt you to put the side stand down and walk the 500 feet to the showers. I can't remember [the last time] I saw so many riders who haven't seen their belt buckle in 25 years. Geez, go on a diet (and avoid the sausage gravy and biscuits)!

Vern
    Last edited by BlackFly; 07-22-2009 at 12:23 AM.
    Black Fly BMW Riders
    The (now) Legendary Motorcyclists of New England

Yankee Beemers

Talking

[QUOTE=BlackFly;480873]It probably wouldn't hurt you to put the side stand down and walk the 500 feet to the showers. I remember [the last time] I saw so many riders who haven't seen their belt buckle in 25 years. Geez, go on a diet (and avoid the sausage gravy and biscuits)!

LOL now thats some funny s... Thanks Vern!!

jacqui
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinohio View Post
    Okay, I'm game..

This was my first rally. I am the guy perhaps a few of you saw sleeping outside a men's room on Wednesday night, on a wooden bench, because I'm not camping in a field when I see lightening in the air.

I had a pretty good time. I found no problems with the porta-johns. I haven't camped in 20 plus years but I remembered to bring extra toilet paper, although I didn't need it.

I found the traffic manageable.

The folks selling the cantelope and fresh fruit on the road toward the beer tent were great-that was kick-a--- cantelope and it was nice to be able to get fresh fruit at the site.

I never saw so many hi-viz colored jackets in one place. It was refreshing.

So many people had really nice bikes. Harley and cruiser riders chrome their machines-BMW riders electrify them.

My ONLY complaint is this--I was by myself, and I wore my little "#1" pin when I was there. I'm a socialble guy but I guess my only disappointment was that not a lot of people went out of their way to say "hi" or speak to me unless I initiated the conversation. It seemed a lot of you knew one another and I felt like an outsider the whole time I was there. I know there was a lot of cathing up to do among friends but I guess, well I don't know, it was a slight turn-off.

Otherwise, thanks for the good time and thanks to the volunteers who made it all possible.

I guess my dearly departed aunt would remind me to never criticize without offering solutions so here is mine-perhaps at future rallys there could be some sort of a special area in the beer tent or somewhere for first timers or lone riders to socialize with other first time attendees or lone riders, a place where some rally veteran volunteers could talk to us and help break the ice and learn the ropes. Thank you
    "Hi...I'm so-and-so from wherever, and this is my first time at a rally. What about you?" You'd be surprised what you find out!

jacqui

"Life is short...go for a ride."

jacqui
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    thanks, mike.

that #1 pin was an idea that originated in the ambassador group a couple rallies ago. the goal was to make new people feel welcome.

we have to get better at making everyone aware of what that pin means. perhaps a short article in the magazine next year.

perhaps a prize of some sort for welcoming the "special" #1....

ian
    Last year I wore a first time pin. This year I spoke to at least three different rally virgins if they had yet won a prize for wearing the pin (they had not) If you wore a first time pin this year, connect with the new kids next year....really how hard can it be?

jacqui

"Life is short...go for a ride."

I'm not happy .. I couldn't go.

Otherwise, glad there IS a RALLY!!!! next year.. maybe..

Yeah it was rough

I had a hard time with all the snoring in my camping area. The stadium lights were a shock on Wednesday night. Thank goodness someone turned them off.

For me the things that weren't my cuppa, like the blues and country rock bands, were just icing on the cake. I didn't have to listen, and enjoyed talking with friends instead. I wish they had hired Southern Culture on the Skids for one of the slots. Those guys are just over the hill in NC. They rock and are way more entertaining than some of this year's acts.

I'm sure there are some quality bands to hire near Redmond that won't recycle the same old tired riffs. Not all of us rally goers are baby boomers.

Future venues need to be up to speed wireless connectivity. For a site to have consumer-level routers when 1-2k web junkies show up is bananas. I don't believe this will be an issue in Redmond.
    Robert Peterson | Cary, NC | 68820
    cat herder and pixel pusher

Talking Sucking Harder

Quote Originally Posted by longriderdesign View Post
    For me the things that weren't my cuppa, like the blues and country rock bands, were just icing on the cake. I didn't have to listen, and enjoyed talking with friends instead. I wish they had hired Southern Culture on the Skids for one of the slots. Those guys are just over the hill in NC. They rock and are way more entertaining than some of this year's acts.
    Different strokes. But, Delbert was pretty darn good! He always is...

And i can't think of anything that SUCKS harder than NEW country.

Vern
    Black Fly BMW Riders
    The (now) Legendary Motorcyclists of New England

Yankee Beemers

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cathdeac View Post
    I'm not happy .. I couldn't go.

Otherwise, glad there IS a RALLY!!!! next year.. maybe..
    +1

I thought I could but had to eat the ticket.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackFly View Post
    And i can't think of anything that SUCKS harder than NEW country.

Vern
    I was a country music for many years until New country came along. I can't think of a single country song I like that was produced in this century. I turned to Bluegrass and country music from the 70s and before.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

This may be the wrong spot, but can anyone tell me why there wasn't a Flea Market this year at the Rally? I've heard rumours, but I'd like the inside scoop...if there is one.

Woodgrain

I had a great time at the rally. It was the first one I've been to since the 86 one in California. A lot fewer AirHeads this time! I was surprised how cheap it was and I'm guessing the cost has not increased with inflation.

I found the porta-pottis clean but the fixed units in the fairgrounds were often not. It could be the users as well as my wife reported the female restrooms were quite clean! I was also surprised by the diversity in fair food. The fruit stand was particularly nice.

My only constructive criticism would be that I would like to have seen some seminars from those who have made great trips without the aid of tour companies (or support teams!)

klw457
    Quote:

I would add that that "breaking the ice" is a challenge in any large group if you are the outsider. I've experienced this at my church, scout gatherings, business meetings, and the local BMW club I'm trying to assimilate into. It's just human nature and a reminder that if we want our groups to grow we have to invite those people on the outside of our circle into our conversations. "Birds of a feather flock together", it is just natural for us to feel comfortable around those we know. Whenever I'm the outsider I make it a point to be on the initiator of conversations. Sometimes you find out you have nothing in common and it fizzles out, however, I've made more new friends using this approach than standing on the sidelines waiting to be engaged by others.

Quote Originally Posted by 83014 View Post
    This thread is supposed to be about how this rally sucked. You folks, like me, who had a great time at the rally should not post here. Hills in Tennessee, what a surprise. People using up the TP, who'da thunk it. Water containers and cups for anyone, just not right. In order for my post to qualify for this thread, here it is..... No good coffee on site. There.
    Wrong. The produce stand on the road up the hill had decent coffee(plus other good and reasonable stuff) for $1.

Quote Originally Posted by pjm1128 View Post
    Ditto. I rode down from MI with a friend, but he camped onsite while I stayed offsite, so we kind of went our separate ways at the rally. I also wore my #1 pin and had only one person notice and officially welcome me. I had conversations with folks over meals at the food vendor sites, but I too felt like a bit of an outsider. And I feel that being a woman made it even worse. At some of the vendor tents, I wasn't even acknowledged or asked if I needed help, while all of the male shoppers were approached with offers of assistance.

In spite of all this, I learned things from the seminars I attended, spent a good amount of $$, and enjoyed the rally overall. I agree with the person who suggested a special meeting/social for us 'newbies'. So I wouldn't say the rally sucked, but it could be improved in this area.

PJ in Ann Arbor, MI
    '07 F650 GS
    '08 R1200 GS
    While the #1 pins were promoted at registration(I worked there a bunch) they should have been promoted in the rally book and with signage or something like an ON article. I wore mine for awhile and tossed it.Obviously more interest in the friends you know than the ones you haven't made yet, which is a natural thing socially.