• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Rally Sucked

The only thing I missed out on was the Forum get together. the last that I had heard, it was going to happen at the Beer tent between 7 & 9 pm on Friday. the tent was full of people when I arrived, and I had no idea where the group would be. maybe next year we can narrow it down some. other than that small issue, it was a GREAT RALLY...:thumb:thumb:thumb

i "organized" that gathering and didn't make it :whistle

got stuck at a VERY slow (but VERY tasty) Indian restaurant over in Johnson City, got there about 8:55, got to meet some of the late comers:thumb

I had fun but a few things I would tweak

I had a great time. Had too much fun at the vendor area ($) The food was diverse. Got to meet some cool people who were camping next to us. Drank far too much beer. A time is what you make it. Although I would change a few things. Consider this constructive criticism, not a bitch session.

1. Scrap the awards ceremony. The people I was sitting with could care less about total miles, oldest fart, etc. Draw the prizes quickly and post the other crap on the net.

2. One of the other posters had a great idea about a new attendee or new member social. I was with others this time but when I have gone to rallies alone it would have been cool.

3. Start courting young members. Advertise in the surrounding area a few weeks prior to the rally and allow anyone with a MC license under the age of 25 to attend for free. Give them first priority at the demo lines to allow them to ride the BMWs. Most young riders have never seen, yet ridden a BMW. To ride them is to love them. Keep doing the GS challenge.

4. Have an area with a DJ. Have walk up IPOD time. This will allow for younger riders to listen to current music without having to pay for a band. This could be rented locally (equipment). The one performer on Sat. night was talking about songs he wrote back in the '70's. Before younger riders were even born.

Ron

My ONLY complaint is this--I was by myself, and I wore my little "#1" pin when I was there. I'm a socialble guy but I guess my only disappointment was that not a lot of people went out of their way to say "hi" or speak to me unless I initiated the conversation. It seemed a lot of you knew one another and I felt like an outsider the whole time I was there. I know there was a lot of catching up to do among friends but I guess, well I don't know, it was a slight turn-off.

I woulda, I had no idea and I didn't even notice the pins.
Now I feel like number 2.
Next time.
:wave
Also, I am bummed that I didn't get to talk more with Tessler, Bubba, Knary, and some others, and that I didn't find JGR451. I am sorry. Next time, we exchange cell phone numbers, dangit!
:wave

Last edited:
Alone

Okay, I'm game..

My ONLY complaint is this--I was by myself, and I wore my little "#1" pin when I was there. I'm a socialble guy but I guess my only disappointment was that not a lot of people went out of their way to say "hi" or speak to me unless I initiated the conversation. It seemed a lot of you knew one another and I felt like an outsider the whole time I was there. I know there was a lot of cathing up to do among friends but I guess, well I don't know, it was a slight turn-off.

Ditto. I rode down from MI with a friend, but he camped onsite while I stayed offsite, so we kind of went our separate ways at the rally. I also wore my #1 pin and had only one person notice and officially welcome me. I had conversations with folks over meals at the food vendor sites, but I too felt like a bit of an outsider. And I feel that being a woman made it even worse. At some of the vendor tents, I wasn't even acknowledged or asked if I needed help, while all of the male shoppers were approached with offers of assistance.

In spite of all this, I learned things from the seminars I attended, spent a good amount of $$, and enjoyed the rally overall. I agree with the person who suggested a special meeting/social for us 'newbies'. So I wouldn't say the rally sucked, but it could be improved in this area.

PJ in Ann Arbor, MI
'07 F650 GS
'08 R1200 GS

While I had a great time at the rally overall, a couple of things DID kinda grind me. We camped in the Sherpa area, always great. The first thing I noticed as I was getting my bearings was the row of 6 or so portapotties nearby - GREAT! The second thing was that there was absolutely NO place to wash my hands after using one - NOT great. I can't speak for the rest of them, but these particular portapotties were not emptied/cleaned/restocked at all that we noticed. On Saturday, I actually scooped some TP from the flushies uphill and popped a roll into the portapots so there'd BE some. Completely disgusting, IMO.

The other involves the closing ceremony. We were seated with friends to the side of the stage, where several of the MOA Drectors were milling about. Two things stood out for me - first, during the singing of the National Anthem with the Armed Forces Colour Guard proudly displaying the flag, one of our Directors failed to remove his hat (shame on you!) and stood with his hands in his pockets; and second, the 'Princess' in the pink-trimmed tiara (a Director's wife, I think) who had a temper tantrum when our friend asked her nicely to move as she was obstructing what little view we had of the proceedings. She told him that if we couldn't see then WE should move, then gave us all a big curtsey a few minutes later as she announced with a sneer that she was moving, then proceeded to FLIP US OFF as she relocated to a golf cart off to the side. Everybody has bad days, but really - NOT impressed.

Any one know where you can find out who won the bikes ? Had to leave Mid day Saturday.Had a great time!!!!!

As I recall, both winners were from Virginia; one from Richmond, one from Vienna.

This was my fourth Rally since 1989. My riding crew and I had a great time, and we are currently fantasizing about going to next years Rally after Mapsourcing the 5434 mile round trip route this morning.

Routing traffic THROUGH the vendor area? DUMB!

Food. Better than last year but still questionable...

Outside the rally.

NC drivers suck. They are just plain BAD. Tenn Driver are better but nobody down there knows what a freakin' turn signal is. Glad I have ABS. I had to use it several times once with my wife on back. That was NOT cool.

I was going to go to the rolling rally. Some personal things got in the way and had a late start. En-route I got run off the highway near Bristol by a drunk trying to exit in a pick-me-up truck that came across in front of me from the left lane at 85mph and slamming on the brakes in front of me to get his exit. Luckily, I was in a spot that was grass and mowed and the 50 mph adventure was down through a ditch in the exit median. Think the rear shock is gone...Just like the driver.:dunno

I decided I had enough and after checking out the bike I went back to WI.

Routing traffic THROUGH the vendor area? DUMB!

Food. Better than last year but still questionable...

Outside the rally.

NC drivers suck. They are just plain BAD. Tenn Driver are better but nobody down there knows what a freakin' turn signal is. Glad I have ABS. I had to use it several times once with my wife on back. That was NOT cool.

I was going to go to the rolling rally. Some personal things got in the way and had a late start. En-route I got run off the highway near Bristol by a drunk trying to exit in a pick-me-up truck that came across in front of me from the left lane at 85mph and slamming on the brakes in front of me to get his exit. Luckily, I was in a spot that was grass and mowed and the 50 mph adventure was down through a ditch in the exit median. Think the rear shock is gone...Just like the driver.:dunno

I decided I had enough and after checking out the bike I went back to WI.
Jason, sorry to hear about your bust up with that drunk near Bristol. To be frank, I don't often travel I-81 and I found it to be a pretty raucous route from my POV. Glad you're ok.

Thanks,

I'm just glad to be in one piece and able to ride home. What's the old adage?

I was going to ride the BRP but just didn't have time. Weather was perfect for it. Not too hot!

FWIW I rode back to about 25W north of Knoxville and stopped for the night. (12:30am. ) The Choice Inn I stopped at had 3 ATF/State of Tenn jet ranger helicopters and more 4x4 trucks with trailer loads of ATV's in one place than I've seen in a long time. Looking for Meth labs....Apparently the area is #1 or #2 in the nation for production. So much for dirt riding in the area!

Wasn't worried about the bike in THAT parking lot!:whistle

My ONLY complaint is this--I was by myself, and I wore my little "#1" pin when I was there. I'm a socialble guy but I guess my only disappointment was that not a lot of people went out of their way to say "hi" or speak to me unless I initiated the conversation. It seemed a lot of you knew one another and I felt like an outsider the whole time I was there. I know there was a lot of cathing up to do among friends but I guess, well I don't know, it was a slight turn-off.

Add me to the list of people that had no idea what the pin meant.

I also agree that some food inside the beer area would have been a good idea (and they would have made a killing).

As a vendor I'd suggest some vendor list with booth addresses. I had a lot of people asking me if I knew where XYZ was and were upset that it wasn't in the rally book. My explination to them was that the books are printed far in advance and vendors get added/subtracted/moved up to rally time so it is hard for the club to do that.

Maybe some kind of 8.5x11 paper with a map on one side and a name/location on the other side handed out at registration, or perhaps a board like you see in malls with a map and listing near the Country Store so people can reference.

:dunno

Riding at the rally site...

Okay, I'll jump in here. I thought it was nuts to route ALL traffic thru the vendor area. On the plus side, the one way rule was a good idea. But on the down side, the one-way rule routed you OUT of the fairgrounds (had to wear your helmet just to go to the shower) and then back into the grounds. On the plus side, there was plenty of green grassy areas on which to set up the tent. But, they were on a 30% slope!

I especially liked the way they paved the interstate intersection on the first day of the rally; go TNDOT!

Don

It probably wouldn't hurt you to put the side stand down and walk the 500 feet to the showers. I can't remember [the last time] I saw so many riders who haven't seen their belt buckle in 25 years. Geez, go on a diet (and avoid the sausage gravy and biscuits)!

Vern

Last edited:
Okay, I'm game..

This was my first rally. I am the guy perhaps a few of you saw sleeping outside a men's room on Wednesday night, on a wooden bench, because I'm not camping in a field when I see lightening in the air.

I had a pretty good time. I found no problems with the porta-johns. I haven't camped in 20 plus years but I remembered to bring extra toilet paper, although I didn't need it.

I found the traffic manageable.

The folks selling the cantelope and fresh fruit on the road toward the beer tent were great-that was kick-a--- cantelope and it was nice to be able to get fresh fruit at the site.

I never saw so many hi-viz colored jackets in one place. It was refreshing.

So many people had really nice bikes. Harley and cruiser riders chrome their machines-BMW riders electrify them.

Otherwise, thanks for the good time and thanks to the volunteers who made it all possible.

I guess my dearly departed aunt would remind me to never criticize without offering solutions so here is mine-perhaps at future rallys there could be some sort of a special area in the beer tent or somewhere for first timers or lone riders to socialize with other first time attendees or lone riders, a place where some rally veteran volunteers could talk to us and help break the ice and learn the ropes. Thank you

"Hi...I'm so-and-so from wherever, and this is my first time at a rally. What about you?" You'd be surprised what you find out!

jacqui

"Life is short...go for a ride."

thanks, mike.

that #1 pin was an idea that originated in the ambassador group a couple rallies ago. the goal was to make new people feel welcome.

we have to get better at making everyone aware of what that pin means. perhaps a short article in the magazine next year.

perhaps a prize of some sort for welcoming the "special" #1....

ian

Last year I wore a first time pin. This year I spoke to at least three different rally virgins if they had yet won a prize for wearing the pin (they had not) If you wore a first time pin this year, connect with the new kids next year....really how hard can it be?

jacqui

"Life is short...go for a ride."

Yeah it was rough

I had a hard time with all the snoring in my camping area. ;) The stadium lights were a shock on Wednesday night. Thank goodness someone turned them off.

For me the things that weren't my cuppa, like the blues and country rock bands, were just icing on the cake. I didn't have to listen, and enjoyed talking with friends instead. I wish they had hired Southern Culture on the Skids for one of the slots. Those guys are just over the hill in NC. They rock and are way more entertaining than some of this year's acts.

I'm sure there are some quality bands to hire near Redmond that won't recycle the same old tired riffs. Not all of us rally goers are baby boomers.

Future venues need to be up to speed wireless connectivity. For a site to have consumer-level routers when 1-2k web junkies show up is bananas. I don't believe this will be an issue in Redmond.

Sucking Harder

For me the things that weren't my cuppa, like the blues and country rock bands, were just icing on the cake. I didn't have to listen, and enjoyed talking with friends instead. I wish they had hired Southern Culture on the Skids for one of the slots. Those guys are just over the hill in NC. They rock and are way more entertaining than some of this year's acts.

Different strokes. But, Delbert was pretty darn good! He always is...

And i can't think of anything that SUCKS harder than NEW country.

Vern

And i can't think of anything that SUCKS harder than NEW country.

Vern

I was a country music for many years until New country came along. I can't think of a single country song I like that was produced in this century. I turned to Bluegrass and country music from the 70s and before.

Back