Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 2010 rally location

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rpbump View Post
    Looked up the round trip distance on mapquest (2854.6 miles) from Jax, Fl. I'm thinking of taking 2 weeks leave as that would give me 16 days and plenty of time to ride and check out some (a few) of the countless scenic venues to/from the Rally. If for some reason I can't ride to Redmond I will return to to hills of N GA and E TN. I had a great time this year at the Rally and look forward to attending many more. Ride Safe
    If you can't go to Redmond, you would do well to rent a cabin at Hungry Mother State Park in Marion, Va http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/hun.shtml. The best roads of the Rally are just outside the entrance. Chromeheads and their friends (total of 7) came early for the Rally this year and had the opportunity to ride the best roads of the rally (and some others I took them).
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by vectorprime27 View Post
    The wife and I put in a total of 1,847 miles for this rally. We had a blast. However, according to my mapping software, Redmond is a 6 day, 2,947.8 mile ride one way. That's just a bit much for the two of us. Heck, by the time we got there we wouldn't care to do any riding for a few days, so we'd miss riding the area. Of course, I'm sure there are lots of great rides just getting there.

Does anyone know if there are BMW rentals in or around the area (say, within 750 miles or so) of the rally? Perhaps we could fly part of the way, then ride the rest. Or anyone have any experience with shipping their bike part of the way? Oh well....lots of time to figure it out or wait till 2011.

IIRC, there's at least one place to rent in the Bend area (small outfitter) and BMW of Oregon (Tigard and Eugene) is now renting BMW's. Redmond is about 3 1/2 hours from Portland, or much longer depending on your route.

You could have a really great trip by renting in San Francisco, where there are several choices (Dubbelju is one that comes to mind, but if you Google it you'll find others). Then you can ride through northern California and southern Oregon, which have little traffic and great roads and scenery!
    --Darryl Richman, forum liaison
    http://darryl.crafty-fox.com

Quote Originally Posted by SIBUD View Post
    Guess you don't know the rally rotation schedule.
    Which is????
    Nik #140220 - '88 K75C | '96 R1100RS | '77 R100RS | '06 DL650
    '01 525iT (oOO=00=OOo)

Helmets don't save lives but loud pipes do?

Quote Originally Posted by vectorprime27 View Post
    The wife and I put in a total of 1,847 miles for this rally. We had a blast. However, according to my mapping software, Redmond is a 6 day, 2,947.8 mile ride one way. That's just a bit much for the two of us. Heck, by the time we got there we wouldn't care to do any riding for a few days, so we'd miss riding the area. Of course, I'm sure there are lots of great rides just getting there.
    I think that's the point. There's so much to see between home to the rally location, you may want to rest at the rally and save some energy for the ride home.

This is what I did in Spokane a few years ago. I spent most of my time at the rally getting better acquainted with new friends than riding around.
    Bob Naumann
    Sachse TX
    K1300GT
    IBA 19100

We are def going...my niece is a Ranger at Glacier Nat'l park and is getting married in the park around Rally time...what great timing ! Hit the wedding then head to the rally or vise versa...not sure of wedding date yet. So many great sights between TX and OR and no time issues...sorry for those that do!
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait