• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2010 rally location

An anonymous person posted on Wikipedia that the 2010 rally will be in Redmond, Oregon, again. Anyone know if this is true?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_Motorcycle_Owners_of_America
Hey Jeff

Now we all know that you don't read the minutes from the Board of Director's meetings. They are boring. The announcement was made at the April board meeting and shows up in the minutes published in the July issue of the Owner's News.

And yes, it is officially Redmond, Oregon in 2010.

tb

Freakin Redmon, Or?
3,054 miles from home according to Delorme.

guess i'm out, or divorced. :violin

The rally site is walking distance from the Bend/Redmond Airport. Seriously. less than 5 minutes. It is a great area to see and visit. How do I know - I flew out there for the last rally there about 5 years ago. This time I have the time to drive it, then I didn't. Stop in the Badlands along the way and revisit last years rally site as well as take in some roads we didn't get to then.

The rally site is walking distance from the Bend/Redmond Airport. Seriously. less than 5 minutes. It is a great area to see and visit. How do I know - I flew out there for the last rally there about 5 years ago. This time I have the time to drive it, then I didn't. Stop in the Badlands along the way and revisit last years rally site as well as take in some roads we didn't get to then.

@ 3140 miles, I'm waiting for the right coast rotation but a 5 minute WALK from the rally site? It's a large airport? Like jets? Oh boy..... I can just SEE the "day after" posts next year........ :dunno

Aside, when is it coming east again?

They take regional jets, but shut down at either 9 or 10 PM, just in time for the BMW party to begin.

I am just saying if you don't want to or can't take the time to ride the 3140 miles, the rally is still very doable, and enjoyable.

I am going to try to set it up to be able to ride it next year and I am looking at 2400 miles each way - the short way, so more like 3000 on at least one way.

As someone already pointed out, the rally rotates around the country to variouos regions every 5 or 6 years, so it will be back in your back yard again soon. Half the fun and purpose is to get out there and see the rest of the country. Enjoy it.

As someone already pointed out, the rally rotates around the country to variouos regions every 5 or 6 years, so it will be back in your back yard again soon. Half the fun and purpose is to get out there and see the rest of the country. Enjoy it.

That will happen someday, God willing. Just not in the next handful of years....

Looked up the round trip distance on mapquest (5709.2 miles) from Jax, Fl. I'm thinking of taking 2 weeks leave as that would give me 16 days and plenty of time to ride and check out some (a few) of the countless scenic venues to/from the Rally. If for some reason I can't ride to Redmond I will return to to hills of N GA and E TN. I had a great time this year at the Rally and look forward to attending many more. Ride Safe :usa :usa (Had to correct round trip distance)

Last edited:
My wife has family out in Oregan, who happen to own a winery...........but with my kids the ages they are by next rally time (20, 18, 15), it will be difficult to do a 2 week trip from here to there and back without problems. Maybe 2011 will be closer and work out for us.........

The wife and I put in a total of 1,847 miles for this rally. We had a blast. However, according to my mapping software, Redmond is a 6 day, 2,947.8 mile ride one way. That's just a bit much for the two of us. Heck, by the time we got there we wouldn't care to do any riding for a few days, so we'd miss riding the area. Of course, I'm sure there are lots of great rides just getting there.

Does anyone know if there are BMW rentals in or around the area (say, within 750 miles or so) of the rally? Perhaps we could fly part of the way, then ride the rest. Or anyone have any experience with shipping their bike part of the way? Oh well....lots of time to figure it out or wait till 2011.

:dance

Looked up the round trip distance on mapquest (2854.6 miles) from Jax, Fl. I'm thinking of taking 2 weeks leave as that would give me 16 days and plenty of time to ride and check out some (a few) of the countless scenic venues to/from the Rally. If for some reason I can't ride to Redmond I will return to to hills of N GA and E TN. I had a great time this year at the Rally and look forward to attending many more. Ride Safe :usa :usa

If you can't go to Redmond, you would do well to rent a cabin at Hungry Mother State Park in Marion, Va http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/hun.shtml. The best roads of the Rally are just outside the entrance. Chromeheads and their friends (total of 7) came early for the Rally this year and had the opportunity to ride the best roads of the rally (and some others I took them).

The wife and I put in a total of 1,847 miles for this rally. We had a blast. However, according to my mapping software, Redmond is a 6 day, 2,947.8 mile ride one way. That's just a bit much for the two of us. Heck, by the time we got there we wouldn't care to do any riding for a few days, so we'd miss riding the area. Of course, I'm sure there are lots of great rides just getting there.

Does anyone know if there are BMW rentals in or around the area (say, within 750 miles or so) of the rally? Perhaps we could fly part of the way, then ride the rest. Or anyone have any experience with shipping their bike part of the way? Oh well....lots of time to figure it out or wait till 2011.

:dance

IIRC, there's at least one place to rent in the Bend area (small outfitter) and BMW of Oregon (Tigard and Eugene) is now renting BMW's. Redmond is about 3 1/2 hours from Portland, or much longer depending on your route.

You could have a really great trip by renting in San Francisco, where there are several choices (Dubbelju is one that comes to mind, but if you Google it you'll find others). Then you can ride through northern California and southern Oregon, which have little traffic and great roads and scenery!

I think that's the point. There's so much to see between home to the rally location, you may want to rest at the rally and save some energy for the ride home.

This is what I did in Spokane a few years ago. I spent most of my time at the rally getting better acquainted with new friends than riding around.

Back