• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Do you use a Kryptonite lock?

OMG. that's pretty freaky. im torn...part of me wants to write a nasty letter to the u-lock people and part of me wants to go down to campus tonight and get a new mountain bike. talk about a dilemma!

so can i assume that if i have an old-school u-lock im safe? i guess i need to try it. i also wonder if it will work with pilot pens and other brands, or just bic.

Barrel Locks

This looks like Urban Legend material to me. If Barrel locks were that easy to "pick", they would have been done away with years (Decades) ago. Pop Machines, arcade games ,atc. appear to vulnerable.
I am not hitting the panic button over some footage shown over the internet. More facts and hard evidence please... Doubting Thomas

> More facts and hard evidence please..

I attempted to open my Kryptonite like they do it the video with no success. But then I'm no master thief (or locksmith).

I wish it was an urban legend but since the story has been picked up by AP and other sources who have picked the lock with success.... Kyrptonite hasn't issued a statement OR a rebutal but HAS said that they are speeding up the release of the next generation of locks.

RW

I tried it at the local sporting goods store. It does work, and I will not use a kryptonite lock if I need to lock my bike.

lorazepam said:
I tried it at the local sporting goods store. It does work
OK - I watched a couple of the videos, went downstairs with a bic pen and spent a while trying to open my U-lock without success.
How did you get it to work?

I do have one of the older locks that the key goes in the end rather than the middle. Maybe they've changed the mechanism?

C'mon BG be a man, push that bic pen way in there, and then turn it with brute force. It will open. Tap it with a hammer, or tap it on the floor to get it seated really well. It will work, trust me.

It just doesn't matter (to me, anyway)

Getting back to the original question: Do you use a Kryptonite lock?
No. I worry more about stuff being stolen from my tankbag and mindless vandalism than I do about the bike being stolen.
The fact is that BMWs are grossly underrepresented in the stolen bike stats.
My hypothesis: Only smart people (like us) like BMW motorcycles. Thieves are not smart people. Ergo, thieves do not steal BMW motorcycles.
Who would they sell them to? Who in the BMW community would buy parts from a dubious source?
This is not to say I don't worry about my bike whenever it's out of my sight. That's why I insist on a window seat whenever I ride to a restaurant and why I peek out of my motel room and check the bike the last thing before going to sleep and the first thing after I awake.
But I don't carry or use a lock because (1.) I have insurance and (2.) the odds are with us.

kryptonite locks

I have 2 Kryptonite disc locks, I sent all the required information into them as they requested, they did reply.

The last I heard from them was on 9-24-2004, I sent another e mail last week, no reply.

Maybe they are swamped and the alligators ate them all??

My Kryptonite Update

Funny how things work out, today I received a e mail from Kryptonite, finally telling me things are happening, and that I should be receiving a UPS call tag ( what ever that is) shortly.

The exchange program is in progress and I'm on the list for 2 new locks.

Good Deal

I wonder if Kryptonite is reading this forum?

I was really surprised to see this subject come up on a BMW forum. I large percentage of the beemers that I see, often including mine, have the keys in the ignition. I guess the GS is not pretty enough to steal.

Jay:bliss

Back