• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MTF IBA Regional SS1K - 9/26/09

U

unleashd

The Members of the Motorcycle Tourer's Forum
are pleased to sponsor
The Iron Butt Association's Regional SaddleSore 1000 (1000 miles in 24 hours)

Registration is open until September 20th, 2009. Pre-registration required. No onsite registration will be allowed. No easier way to get that IBA membership number, or if you have one try an in-state route. All registration fees for online registrants must be paid by September 20, 2009 or your registration will be cancelled. The MTF will submit your ride to the IBA for certification. The certification fee for this ride is 45.00. While the MTF is only providing logistical support for your ride, we have an obligation to the Long Distance Riding community to insure that you comply with the guidelines as stipulated on this page and on the Home Page for this ride. The Site Coordinator has full authority to limit participation for any reason. If your participation is terminated prior to start of the ride AND you have treated the Site Coordinator respectfully, you will receive a full refund.

Herndon, VA Start / End Location
MCT Regional SS1K Website
No VA Regional SS1K Website
No VA Regional SS1K Registration

All riders must check-in with the Site Coordinator on September 26th.The Alternate Route(VA In-State) Check-in starts at 4:30 a.m. The Primary Route Check-in starts at 5:30 a.m. Riders will be released once they've checked-in. All Riders must check-in before 5:30 a.m. Unless you notify the site coordinator of a delayed start due to unforeseen circumstances, you will not be eligible to start after 5.30 AM

Newnan Ga starting point

There is one starting from Newnan Ga in this group (4 total, others are Buffalo NY, Herndon Va, and Tucson az). This GA event has two routes, one for the general population and an alternate for IBA types. The IBA alternate route is an all -In 'Georgia SS1K', something I would like to try. I have traveled the entire plan except the section between Commerce/Clayton Ga and Dalton GA. It looks like it follows US441 and then US76 most of the way although it is called a bunch of different route numbers/names. This section will certainly be at night and wanted to know what kind of route it is.. Is it difficult or special enough that I should take the time and ride it beforehand? Additionally, I'll be going through there after about 14 hours in the saddle if I'm on schedule.

here's the route

At Commerce, GA, stay on US-441 [SR-15] (North) for 18.4 mi
Keep STRAIGHT onto US-123 [US-441] for 1.4 mi
Keep STRAIGHT onto US-441 [SR-15] for 0.4 mi
Take Ramp onto US-23 [US-441] for 31.6 mi towards US-441 / GA-15 / US-23 / GA-365
At Clayton, GA, stay on US-23 [US-441] (North) for 131 yds
Turn LEFT (West) onto US-76 [SR-2] for 43.0 mi
Road name changes to US-129 [US-19] for 0.5 mi
Keep STRAIGHT onto US-76 [SR-2] for 38.1 mi
Keep RIGHT onto Local road(s) for 65 yds
Bear RIGHT (North-West) onto US-76 [SR-2] for 43 yds
Turn LEFT (South-West) onto US-76 [SR-282] for 19.7 mi
Turn LEFT to stay on US-76 [SR-282] for 0.2 mi
Turn RIGHT (North) onto US-411 [US-76] for 6.7 mi
Turn LEFT (South-West) onto US-76 [SR-52] for 8.3 mi
Turn RIGHT (North-West) onto US-41 [US-76] for 5.7 mi
At Dalton, GA, stay on US-41 [US-76] (South-West) for 0.4 mi

as you can see there are a few turns and bears (hopefully no pun intended) in there..

any advice would be appreciated..
Thanks
Ron

Ron,
I am not aware of the routes in GA. You might want to send an email to your site coordinator, Mark Campbell with this question. I am sure he will have an answer for you!

Prakash

There is one starting from Newnan Ga in this group (4 total, others are Buffalo NY, Herndon Va, and Tucson az). This GA event has two routes, one for the general population and an alternate for IBA types. The IBA alternate route is an all -In 'Georgia SS1K', something I would like to try. I have traveled the entire plan except the section between Commerce/Clayton Ga and Dalton GA. It looks like it follows US441 and then US76 most of the way although it is called a bunch of different route numbers/names. This section will certainly be at night and wanted to know what kind of route it is.. Is it difficult or special enough that I should take the time and ride it beforehand? Additionally, I'll be going through there after about 14 hours in the saddle if I'm on schedule.

here's the route

At Commerce, GA, stay on US-441 [SR-15] (North) for 18.4 mi
Keep STRAIGHT onto US-123 [US-441] for 1.4 mi
Keep STRAIGHT onto US-441 [SR-15] for 0.4 mi
Take Ramp onto US-23 [US-441] for 31.6 mi towards US-441 / GA-15 / US-23 / GA-365
At Clayton, GA, stay on US-23 [US-441] (North) for 131 yds
Turn LEFT (West) onto US-76 [SR-2] for 43.0 mi
Road name changes to US-129 [US-19] for 0.5 mi
Keep STRAIGHT onto US-76 [SR-2] for 38.1 mi
Keep RIGHT onto Local road(s) for 65 yds
Bear RIGHT (North-West) onto US-76 [SR-2] for 43 yds
Turn LEFT (South-West) onto US-76 [SR-282] for 19.7 mi
Turn LEFT to stay on US-76 [SR-282] for 0.2 mi
Turn RIGHT (North) onto US-411 [US-76] for 6.7 mi
Turn LEFT (South-West) onto US-76 [SR-52] for 8.3 mi
Turn RIGHT (North-West) onto US-41 [US-76] for 5.7 mi
At Dalton, GA, stay on US-41 [US-76] (South-West) for 0.4 mi

as you can see there are a few turns and bears (hopefully no pun intended) in there..

Thanks
Ron

Ron,

Here's the reply from Mark.

Prakash,
I'm not a member of that board. Please relay the following:

Once you exit off I-85 S onto 441 north, just follow hwy 441 to Clayton. Hwy 441 does merge with other roads, but shouldn't be a problem, just follow the 441 signs. Two years ago we offered the same route. The only problem I heard of was one rider missed hwy 76 east in Clayton. It's well marked, just pay attention. If you're still on 441 once you're through Clayton, you went too far.

Same thing on hwy 76.... just follow hwy 76 to I-75. There are a couple of other roads it merges with hwy 76, just make sure to follow the signs for hwy 76. In Elijay, there's a hard right to stay on hwy 76, but shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for your help,
Mark

I have traveled the entire plan except the section between Commerce/Clayton Ga and Dalton GA. It looks like it follows US441 and then US76 most of the way although it is called a bunch of different route numbers/names. This section will certainly be at night and wanted to know what kind of route it is.. Is it difficult or special enough that I should take the time and ride it beforehand?
Thanks
Ron

It's mostly a 4 lane road (2 lanes on each side). 441 is fairly straight, but with a lot of cops around Clayton, and 76 cuts across the mountains.

Just be careful riding at night, deer may be out.

I'm thinking of doing the in-state SS as well....We'll see how I feel on my way back from Colorado though.

thanks

Thanks Prakash and Atlbmw.. that's what I needed.. pretty sure I'm going to do this, just waiting to see any conflicts for that weekend..

Ron

Saddlesore 09/26 update

It looks like this thread died off, so I'm bumping it back up.....
It should be a good time and an easy way to get your first SS1k or add another under your belt....

peace,
theo

Back