• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

"Genuine" BMW Defective Points Alert

krehmkej

Airhead
Installing new points in my '78 /7 today after replacing the cam oil seal. Only took the dealer 2 weeks to get them(!) Groveling around on the floor, I set the points in place then slide the gap adjuster in place. WTF?? can't close the gap. Re-check everything, rotate the tining plate. No go. Doublecheck the part number:

12111243555 contact breaker - Up to 09/1978 Yup, that's the right one.

Let's look at the OLD points:

old.jpg

Now the NEW "Genuine" BMW ones:

new.jpg

Seems that the rubbing block specification has changed!

Was it a bad day in the Fatherland? Well, lets take a peek at the label:

label.jpg

Another quality product from the land of almost right!

Any one find a suitable replacement for the Chinese/Genuine points?

Have Bosch have stopped making them all together?

Who was the vendor? Not to be casting stones or anything ... just curious if THEY are aware of the problem.

I got a set from Huckey's about two months ago. NO PROBLEM at all.

Of course that was two months ago and may represent "old" stock.

I would have sworn that I still had an original set of those points that were new for my 77. It was totaled in 85 and I never got around to using them. I just went to the garage and searched and couldn't locate them, if I do you are welcome to them. I'm not sure that they would still be good after all these years.

points interchange

Several years ago I was experiencing a problem with my ignition. (The coils were wired backwards thanks to a practical joker) The gentleman who was helping me was a VW mechanic and he took one look at the points and said oh yea, standard VW points. I don't remember the price. (cheep) But the only difference I could see was the wire was a little shorter but not too short. I replaced the coils with a couple of VW coils he had laying around, installed the vw points and the bike fired and ran fine. :dance

I remember hearing years ago that the spring on the VW points was not as strong as the BMW points. I don't know if that is true, but I do remember hearing that.

Supplier

I want to say Max BMW is where I got mine. Be sure to specify German made. Also I thought Ted Porters Beemer Shop had them.

I got mine from Ted Porter's. They were "Noris" brand, whatever that means. They work(ed) great. Maybe try them?

Several years ago I was experiencing a problem with my ignition. (The coils were wired backwards thanks to a practical joker) The gentleman who was helping me was a VW mechanic and he took one look at the points and said oh yea, standard VW points. I don't remember the price. (cheep) But the only difference I could see was the wire was a little shorter but not too short. I replaced the coils with a couple of VW coils he had laying around, installed the vw points and the bike fired and ran fine. :dance

This is true for only 79-80.

Old VW Shops:)

Some old school VW guys will know these well:). Also, the best upgrade you can make would be to throw the points away and install the DYNA3 ignition. Its still made, I think. The bike will run noticably better. My R100/7 certainly does and I've had the Dyna3 in there for 20 years now, no issues. Randy:usa:thumb

Also, the best upgrade you can make would be to throw the points away and install the DYNA3 ignition.

Don't throw them away, or any part of the stock ignition! You may need them again at the least opportune moment. DAMHIK!!

...I'm not sure that they would still be good after all these years.

That's what's so cool about "old technology"... they can be made to work with a strip of crocus cloth. Try that with them thar new fangled ee-lektronic gimcracks.

Could grind down the offending rubbing block. Napa would have the equivalent points. Original Bosch part number;1237013067

Back