• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Euro Bars?

photorider

I am in the process of bringing an R60/6 back to life (my first Airhead) and I'm thinking of switching to the low euro bars for a different (more streamlined) riding position. What do you think? Will the bike handle differently? Better? Worse? Also, the bike did not come with a steering damper. Is this worth adding? Bike seems to handle ok without it.
Any input appreciated.

I like em. I think they transform the bike and make it much sportier feeling. Mine are now upside down and backwards for an even sportier feel ;)

i have an RS which had to have the damper removed for awhile. With the bearings adjusted right, no problem. Sometimes I think the damper encourages neglect of steering heads and fork alignment.
Euro bars are easier on your neck and back on a naked bike at high speed. Anything which puts your hands closer to line of axle to forks will make your road feel more precise, as well. I see no downside to euro bars

Last edited:
Go for it! I just installed euro bars on my /5, and they make it look 100% better. I always felt the USA bars were way too high, I felt like i was riding a chopper with ape hangers (kidding some what). I don't know what brands you looking at,but if you get Flanders be prepared to spend a lot of time fighting to get the controls on. They seem to be bigger in diameter than the others.

I am big fan of the Euro bars. I have them on both of my Airheads. I have tried the stock bars on both bikes, but don't like them. The Euro bars give me the perfect compromise. The idea between the different bars (Euro and US) is actually very simple... In Europe the "normal" riding position is with a slight lean forward to have better control of the bike, in the US the "normal" riding position is laid back with more weight on your back and straight up. Have fun with the change over... don't forget the cable length, shorter bars might require shorter cables...

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'll go for it! I figured I might need shorter cables so I guess I'll order them. Aside from all the valuable riding benefits you all list, I also agree they look a lot better too! Thanks again.

I have a 1975 R75/6 with USA bars.My question is would i get by without changing my cables to drop down to Euro bars? TIA,Stan

I have a 1975 R75/6 with USA bars.My question is would i get by without changing my cables to drop down to Euro bars? TIA,Stan

On my R65 I swapped out the USA for R90S bars, which seems to me a similar change. I loosened and rerouted some of the cables with more generous curves in appropriate areas to make it work well - no binding etc. The funkiest part was the brake hose from the handlebar - which won't be a problem for you unless you have done the master cylinder to bar conversion.

I also replaced my US ape hangers with Euro bars on my /5 (and replaced all of the cables as well). The look fits the bike much better and the riding position fits me much better.

ducatipaso, I didn't recognize that the bars on your rat were Euros. I may have to give that a try on the ol' toaster. Flip flop & fly...

Your lucky day... check this out on IBMWR:

handle bars & crash bars
K & N chrome euro bars, 22mm, 29.5 inch wide, 2 inch rise,5.5 inch PB, 4.5 inch CW. NEW never used. $35.00 obo. Also,one piece crash bars, chrome, for r bikes. $ 50.00. Plus, Header Nut wrench for air heads, made by webco, $25.00 obo
Price: best offer, plus shipping
Contact Paul Bertholet at <pbertholet@comcast.net>
Posted Wednesday, July 15, 2009 at 16:04:51 (EDT)

:thumb

With the euro bars you can use the US cables, but it looks much better with the correct cables. The front brake cable is the same, alittle rerouting is nessasary, the clutch and throttle cables are shorter fit much better and make a much cleaner install. Just pull the longer switch wires into the headlamp shell.

I've switched mine back and forth several times over the years.

Ken G.

The route I'm thinking of is going with the BMW K75C Bars which are in between the Euros and the high USA bars.Anyone out there have a set they want to unload?Stan

I have a pair of K-bike bars on both of my airheads, I have found them to be quite comfortable with a little bit of forward lean. Not much room for the various cables/switches etc, but it all works fine. This is a pic of my cafe'd /6 with the bars, rotated and dropped as far as possible without whacking the tank at the stops. Surprisingly good ergos for me at 5'7".............

539964419_3aHmC-L.jpg

:thumb

PS fwiw, I removed the steering damper, rebuilt the head/bearing setup and am tickled with response. No issues whatsoever, quick steering with easy input, and can ride "look ma, no hands!" when I want a stretch...... he he he

I have Euro or M bars on my 1970 /5 and I love it. After I get in fourth gear I slip my feet back to the back pegs (only when not in town) and it really feels great and solid. Some things you need, I put small risers on so the bars would still turn in the fairing I have and the clutch cable it a different one I got from Bob's BMW but the break cable is standard. The throttle or cruise control I run a little tight so I don't have to keep a death grip on the throttle and I keep the steering damper about neutral.

Brett Endress
Altoona Pa

Thanks for the advice/encouragement, everybody. I installed the low bars today and I LOVE them! I like the riding position better and the bike looks better, too. Steering feels a bit heavier but I prefer it this way. Haven't ordered cables yet but it looks like it might be necessary. Clutch and front brake seem fine (will keep them) but the throttle cables are a little cramped and when they flop around it affects how the carbs behave. I tried several different positions and routes but couldn't find anything that worked all the time. Will def. swap them out. Thanks again, everyone. Very happy with the switch (and with this forum!).

a pic would be nice....

i have the k75s bars on mine.. it is great for 95% of the riding.. but I am interested in doing a tour on the bike.. wondering if the R90s bars (euro bars) are slightly taller...
before:US bars
r65_045.jpg

k75s bars
IMG_0438.JPG

result:
IMG_0340.JPG

flat bars rule

Been riding so long with flat bars that when I get on a bike with US type ÔÇô
it feels like I'm hanging onto al dente spaghetti !
I swear you can feel the delay between input and the bike's response !

Any h-bar (22mm preferred vs 7/16ths) can be fit onto a Type-247.
The operative factor will be cable fit & routing.
Of course US length cables can be coerced into service with Euro bars ÔÇô
but it will be exactly that: coercion.
The result will be cables that hang and flop about with increased likelihood of binding
and / or premature wear.

Maybe I'm wrong, but my thinking goes like this:
1.) IF one set of cables worked well with both Euro & US bars,
the bean counters at BMW would not have put two different length sets into production
(just think of the $AVING$ !!)
2.) I have in fact contorted US cables onto s-bars ... once ... for a short while ÔÇô
but was unhappy with the result for a number of reasons.
3.) The fact that the cheapest thing on an airhead will be the rider
is a poor excuse for an ill equipped machine.

i have the k75s bars on mine.. it is great for 95% of the riding.. but I am interested in doing a tour on the bike.. wondering if the R90s bars (euro bars) are slightly taller...
before:US bars
]

Euro bars and R90S bars are not one and the same

Back