• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Which Rear Shock?

D

DMGOFORTH

Greetings,

I have just acquired a 1991 R100RT under 20k miles. After owning a few of the new beemers, I have happily returned to an airhead.

I am shopping for a new rear suspension unit. I am not that concerned with price; I want a quality unit.

Any recommendations (and why) would be greatly appreciated.

I really like the Wilbers shock on my monolever. It is a nice complement to my Progressive fork springs. Coming from a dual shock airhead, I didn't know an airhead could feel so refined. I bought it through Bikepaintr, who is a member of this forum.

if you don't mind me asking. which version of the monolever Wilbers did you choose? Can you post a photo?

I was on the beemershop website looking through the choices and I find it a little confusing.

cheers,

g

I upgraded to a Works shock several years ago on my 88 R100RT, and I'm quite happy. For better or for worse, the shock does have a remote reservoir, but it seems like most after market shocks for our bikes do. However, my only other experience with a shock was the original with 80,000 + miles on it, so just about anything would have been better. The shock was built for my weight and riding style. While there are probably better shocks for more money, I think it's a good shock at a reasonable price.

I hope my $0.02 helps you in your decision.

I have the Wilbers 630. It does not have the remote reservoir. I don't have a picture handy, but I'm sure you could find one with a quick google search.

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks for your replies. I will probably go with a Works or a Wilbers.

Back