• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need airhead mechanic

M

murphychuck

Hi,I live in Murphy,NC and just bought a 1983R100RT and I need some help with the bing carbs. Does anyone know of a mechanic in the tri-state area that I can use? I'm in far western NC and am looking for one in the NC/GA/TN area.

Last edited:
Murphy - Welcome to the Forum - for better visibility I am moving your post to the Air Head Forum.

Please check out the other various forums.

Luis

If it sorta runs..why not ride it to the National this week and head for Airhead Central.

Plenty of expertise and opinions..as well as parts from Bing so you can have a real ride home I've seen and done everything from changing out rod bearings, fork seals, all kinds of head torquing and valve adjustments...and carb rebuilds done in the tent.

I just bought this beemer on e-bay and had it shipped from WI. The previous owner installed Mikuni's in a rather unorthadox way and as I started it,it backfired and blew the left carb off the bike.Needless to say,it was really MMed.I can rebuild the Bings,but I'm not sure of how to re-attach the old cables. I also had the windshield broken in transit I need someone local to help me balance the Bings and hookup the cables.

Mikunis?? Is the engine dual plugged? Mukunis work fine if you don't regularly ride in the mountains..can't handle the change in altitude as well as CV Bings.

You should also check with the last 7 digits of your VIN to see if your bike takes 32 or 40 mm bings. If you're switching back to Bings, you'll also need the appropriate plastic horns that go between the carb and air box. Different for 32 and 40 mm models. Do you still have choke cables? Depending on what you have left from the stock carb set up, you should probably should order all 6 carb and choke cables, and the splitters - and start clean.

Carb getting blown off is usually a sign of the timing being slightly off. Single plug..S mark in the middle of the hole,,dual plugged, the "S" should be at the bottom.

ps: I'm in Greensboro heading out for the National around lunchtime Tues. are you coming to the National?

Greg,Thanks for your input! I have the 40mm Bings as well as all the old cables. I am going to rebuild them myself,but I'm not sure as to the correct way to attach all the cables. I want to replace all the old rubber connectors and install fuel line filters,but I don't know of any BMW dealer nearby. The closest is Blue Moon in Norgross,GA as far as I know!The Mikuni's will be for sale shortly,because they restrict my feet on my gear and brake levers. Thanks!

Airhead mechanic found!

:germanI found a beemer mechanic in Elijay,Ga., Apex Cycles. I met a couple on 2 old beemers who suggested that I call Wes Burton at Apex,which I did and now I can rest easy while enjoying riding in the mountains around Murphy.I will have 2 Mikuni's for sale shortly. They are like new,with less than 500 miles on them.

mikunis

drop me an e-mailwhen you,re ready to sell the Mikunis. Thanks Red1974

Back