• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

New-ish member

O

onemunk

Hi everyone,

I'm a relatively new member but I have been a lurker for too long so time to jump in. I am 38 and I live in MA.

I bought my first BMW, a 1968 R60/2, in 2007. This was also the second bike I have ever owned. I found her in a warehouse with about 100 fully restored classic muscle cars:thumb. She was quietly waiting for me in the corner where she had sat since 1980. She had about 19,500 miles on her and belonged to a former employee of the warehouse owner that had abandoned her. I brought her home, changed the oil, cleaned the points and charged the battery and she fired right up. I knew I was hooked right there. I've done a lot of mechanical restoration since and about 5,0000 miles later, she still purrs like a kitten. I can't believe how comfortable she is to ride.

Flash to the present... In April I purchased a 2009 F800GS which I completely love (not as much as my /2 though!). I have about 3,000 miles on her so far and plan on many more.

Here is Greta...
BMWglouc005.jpg

and here is Nicole and I (she'll kill me for posting this).
YES.jpg

I wish I could make it to the national this year to meet some of you but unfortunately it isn't in the cards.

That's about it. Nice to meet all of you electronically!

Scott (aka Munk)

Scott - welcome aboard - we are almost neighbors! I live in Gloucester.

Beautiful bikes.

As you have been lurking you are aware of the vast amount of resources available on this forum.

So welcome aboard and enjoy your time.

If you have any questions just ask - see you on the road.

Luis

Welcome aboard! That /2 is a beautiful bike, please don't tell us you picked it up for spare change :) Actually, the story behind that find might be a great read (hint... hint...)

i'm always jealous of those who find bikes that just happened to be stored accidentally in perfect conditions and they run like an old lawn mower that's been forgotten.

welcome aboard. i found an abandoned /2 in MA once, and before i could secure it, someone stole it!

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am glad to be out of lurk-dom:wave

Luis, I've probably seen you on 128. I work in Gloucester. I mostly commute via 127 or 133 to ensure it take me as long as possible to get to the office though. We have some nice backroads around here!

Although Greta isn't a Prom Queen, she is in nice shape for girl her age. I wish I could say it was spare change but unfortunately not for me. It was a fair price considering all she's given back to me though. She is a little jealous over my new bike. Once I can afford to get 2 bikes on the road, the jealousy will be gone.

I don't know Ted, could I go from Lurker to story teller in 2 posts??? Maybe I'll get inspired.

Nice to be in the sunshine! Thanks again guys.

Luis, I've probably seen you on 128. I work in Gloucester. I mostly commute via 127 or 133 to ensure it take me as long as possible to get to the office though. We have some nice backroads around here!

If I am not pressed for time I'll do 133 to 95S, I am the one on the Blue RT, either the Red Mesh Jacket (summer) or neon yellow Olympia else.

Maybe I'll see you around!

Luis

Munk,

Great first post including pictures. Thanks. And we won't tell Nicole that you posted her picture on the internet. :dance

Ride reports with pics are a favorite here and it looks like you know how to 1.ride, 2. report and 3. take good pics. Looking forward to many, many more.

Thanks! I'll do my best to remember my camera now that I have a tank bag for my F8GS. :brad

I'll keep en eye out for you tomorrow and Friday Luis. I'm riding in on both days. I'm in a black jacket/pants and a white full face. Haven't seen a lot of other F8GSs around here yet so I should be easy to pick out. I :wave at everyone so I'm sure I've seen ya.

Now to get to some riding so I can get to reportin!

Oh yeah, thanks for not telling Nicole Sibud :)

Munk,

Great first post including pictures. Thanks. And we won't tell Nicole that you posted her picture on the internet. :dance

Ride reports with pics are a favorite here and it looks like you know how to 1.ride, 2. report and 3. take good pics. Looking forward to many, many more.

Greetings Scott, from just down the road in Topsfield. Great little group of bikes you've got there :thumb

So what do you think? Is there finally some sunshine in our future around here??

Howdy neighbor! Thanks.

Sun came out for me on my way in this morning. :dance
Been so long I almost didn't recognize it. I'm going to need 50+ sunblock to protect me. :whistle

Good weekend for riding coming up around here. Maybe I can get my first report up...

Welcome Scott. Since Nicole appears to ride, feel free to get her associated with the Forum too. My wife has just completed the MSF class and is now working on getting up to speed so she can go riding with me. It looks like maybe your a bit ahead of us in that respect.

Howdy neighbor! Thanks.

Sun came out for me on my way in this morning. :dance
Been so long I almost didn't recognize it. I'm going to need 50+ sunblock to protect me. :whistle

Good weekend for riding coming up around here. Maybe I can get my first report up...

Welcome to the "light"; bathe in it.

Hopefully you will find the time for a ride. I really enjoy your writing style and the personality it depicts. I look forward to reading your ride reports.:thumb

Ride safe, and once again, welcome.:wave

Tom

Nicole does ride. I taught her about a year and a 1/2 ago on a 72 Triumph Tiger we built together. She doesn't mind getting her hands dirty :dance and she did a lot of the work herself. We bought the bike in 5 crates and spent the summer rebuilding it. Next time, I'll plan it better and do the rebuild over the winter - DOH!
72TR6R.jpg

After about 7 months of dealing with drum brakes and a kick start, she decided (with some encouragement from me) that she wanted to upgrade. That's where the 01 F650GS came from. Needless to say, she loves the bike. I have been constantly encouraging her to take the MSF course. I think she is almost convinced ;)

Thanks for the compliments on my story telling ability Tom. I am humbled.

Back