• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

08 K1200GT Pros and Cons?

C

craigstb

I am considering trading my 07 R1200RT for a 08 K1200GT. I really enjoy the RT, but find the GT's stance and center of gravity more comfortable for my body stature. I also got a new thrill from the GT's engine and handling performance.

I would be interested in any thoughts on the RT vs. the GT. Overall impressions? Durability of the engines? Performance? Etc. :bikes
Thanks.

Traded lt for 08 gt. Have friends with rt's ,excellent bike. Have only 12,000 miles in 5 months,with NO problems.Stock seat iffy,found myself sliding backwards under mild accelleration so went to a Corbin with smuggler,problem cured.omg it's fast fast fast. Friend has a new Ducati 1100,went by him in the twisties,still mad at me.Put 3,000 miles on bike in Baja,again no problems even with the often regular gas.Tire wear not great,ready for the third set already,wife says maybe at 72 I should slow down a little,hmmmmm what is a little? Buy the gt,I rode the lt a year too long before I made up my mind.

Trade It

I bought a new 08 about three months ago. The K1200GT is fantastic, lot of power, low CG makes it handle like a dream. No comparison to my 96 R1100RT or 2000 K1200RS.

I am considering trading my 07 R1200RT for a 08 K1200GT. I really enjoy the RT, but find the GT's stance and center of gravity more comfortable for my body stature. I also got a new thrill from the GT's engine and handling performance.

I would be interested in any thoughts on the RT vs. the GT. Overall impressions? Durability of the engines? Performance? Etc. :bikes
Thanks.

Craig - here is my orginal post when I got the bike

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=37827

Additonally what I can add, is that the bike is extremely well mannered, extremely confidence inspiring and extremely flexible.

the flexibility aspect is that i can troll along at parking lot speeds trapped in rush hour traffic with no issue, or pound out mile after mile at speed effortlessly. To me riding the RT above 75 is much more work than the GT, it just knifes thru the air and the motor (oh the motor) is not even working hard and you have sooooo much left.

The new ESA suspension is better than it was on the RT, and for me the seat is perfect, the bike fits me like a glove.

Good luck on your decision, but like my post stated, if you go for the test ride, bring your wallet!

Thanks

Thank you all very much for your valuable input.

I made my decision last week and now own an 08 GT. The bike is awesome! So far, I like almost everything about it better than the RT. It is so nice to be able to plant both feet firmly on the ground at the same time and the center of gravity feels much lower. The handling, power, and acceleration.....well....WOW! No comparison. I also find the seat to be more comfortable over that of the RT's saddle. I don't think I'm going to be sorry.

Thanks again for your replies.

:twirl

Back