• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Great River Road route needed WI to St Louis

N

nevada72

Got bad news today - I'm scheduled to be in Chicago for the rally. I'm very unhappy about it. I may console myself with a solo ride down the GRR to St Louis and then on to Arkansas to ride some of my favorite roads. I've done Google and mapquest searches and I'm just not seeing an obvious "Great River Road" route. My goal is to head from home (Milw-ish) over to Dubuque and then down. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Well this is easy

Go to River, big wet thing. Follow Green Signs that say Great River Road. Follow them some more. It will lead you on the road nearest the River. I'vedone it and enjoyed it. I would love to take it all the way to the Gulf some day. I have done it from the Mouth of the Mississippi to Missouri. Enjoy. One of the bridges that goes to Iowa has a metal grate bottom. Not good for the height fearful.

Go to River, big wet thing. Follow Green Signs that say Great River Road. Follow them some more. It will lead you on the road nearest the River. I'vedone it and enjoyed it. .

Is it really that easy? I figured it wouldn't be marked very well.

Start...

... by heading to Baraboo, then taking 33 all the way to just south of LaCrosse. Take a left on 35 South and your off!
Great ride!!:thumb

What day were you leaving on your river trip, and how many days?
Gilly

I'm keeping it loose, but shooting for Saturday. I'll head down to Rogers, AR and visit my Dad for a couple days and ride back. Probably take the GRR to St Louis from Dubuque (I've done 35 north of there - it is nice) and angle over from there through Rolla and Branson. On the way back I may head east from Fort Smith and pick up that part of the GRR heading north and then hop off in St Louis - probably slab from there. My guess it will be Weds or Thurs so 5-6 day trip.

Why Looking for a getaway?:wow

Not sure what week you mean, the week of the rally?
I am not going to the rally this year, for various reason$, I had to look up and see what week the rally IS even.
Am planning a short 3 or 4 dayer to the U.P. the week after the rally, although with my 2 Harley-riding brothers.

Gilly

thanks all for the help. The good news is I'm back in the saddle for the rally. :brad

But, someday I'll definitely do that GRR!

Back