• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2006 K1200GT seat replacement question

D

Docsigmund

Taking a tour on the bike for 2000 miles lately took its toll on both my tailbone and crotch, and changing the seat position did not help either. The OEM seat forces me into the tank. I have placed risers on the handlebars since I desire a more upright posture and need to replace the seat. Am looking at the Bill Mayer, Rick Mayer and Sargent seats, and wonder if anyone has experience with these and can provide useful comments on how to differentiate. On a tour, I am a 500 mile a day rider but mainly do 3-4 hour Hill Country rides around here. Thanks in advance.

K1200GT seat

Sorry I don't know the answer to your problem, but I posted an identical question a while ago. See the post labelled "K1200GT seat replacement ".

The only thing I am able to conclude from all the rants against the stock seat on a GT is that German butts are shaped differently and the seat must fit them like a glove.

I have not read a definitive posting about a seat that will answer the sliding forward and discomfort problem. I'm curious about the Sargeant seat, but I'd need to sit on a bike that has one before I'd be willing to shell out that kind of dough.

I'd appreciate it if you could let me know if you come up with an acceptable answer.

K1200 GT Seat

Tried this on three different BMW forums and so far, got seven replies on one mostly favoring the Russell Day long assuming you do not have an inseam shorter than 30". Two have had all three and both favor the Russell. May not look as 'new generation' but it is the most comfortable according to both.

Seems this is a personal issue. I did ride a Bill (Rocky) Mayer vinyl seat yesterday on another guys RT. After 1.5 hrs it was OK but not great. So far, I think I may look at the Russell.

The forum where I got the replies was the K1200/1300GT (The Next luxury Touring Community).

Same problem, went with Corbin w/smuggler.Was like they made foam from a 2x4.Went back and Julio redid the seat with a different foam.I can now ride in comfort.The Corbin people are very easy to work with.This is my 4th seat from them along with a fairing for wife's Harley.Great people to work with.

Taking a tour on the bike for 2000 miles lately took its toll on both my tailbone and crotch, and changing the seat position did not help either. The OEM seat forces me into the tank. I have placed risers on the handlebars since I desire a more upright posture and need to replace the seat. Am looking at the Bill Mayer, Rick Mayer and Sargent seats, and wonder if anyone has experience with these and can provide useful comments on how to differentiate. On a tour, I am a 500 mile a day rider but mainly do 3-4 hour Hill Country rides around here. Thanks in advance.

I first got a Sargent... it was better than the OEM, but not much. Sat on a Rick Mayer at the BMWMOA Rally in Johnson City, TN--Fellow who owned the GS the seat was on said he'd been around the world twice on that seat, and it made all the difference between staying on the bike all day, and wanting off after a couple of hours if that. When I sat on it, it felt like heaven by comparison. Haven't gotten mine yet, but I ordered one immediately. Should be coming any day now.

Back