• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My Long Ride for Life

drswift

The Adventure Begins.

This is it, finally, the start of my two month odyssey! A big loop around the United States. ItÔÇÖs the chance of a lifetime for me to see a lot of great places, meet a bunch of new people, and ride some great roads. And hopefully, raise a bunch of money for the American Cancer Society.

The bike has been tuned.

578945597_62dHu-M.jpg

Camping gear and tools are stowed.

581223319_qFosU-M.jpg

Clothing all packed.

581222930_r5gDR-M.jpg

Look! Everything actually fits on the bike!

581223491_8cNVQ-M.jpg

Routes and stops all identified.

578947492_oJQRX-M.jpg

Here is my route list and schedule:

Date Destination
6-Jul Bishop, CA
7-Jul Needles, CA
8-Jul Prescott Valley, AZ
9-Jul Pie Town, NM
10-Jul Tucumcari, NM
11-Jul Pauls Valley, OK
12-Jul Hot Springs Village, AK
13-Jul West Monroe, LA
14-Jul Birmingham, AL
15-Jul Canton, NC
16-Jul Johnson City, TN - MOA Rally
19-Jul Waynesville, NC
20-Jul Franklin,TN
31-Jul Given, WV
1-Aug Shenandoah Park, VA
2-Aug Tully, NY
3-Aug Richmond, VT
5-Aug Waitsfield, VT
6-Aug Woodstock, VT
8-Aug Chester, VT
10-Aug Lancaster, NH - BMWST Unrally
14-Aug Ottawa, ONT
15-Aug Blind River, ONT
16-Aug Gwinn, MI
17-Aug Duluth, MN
18-Aug Fargo, ND
19-Aug Miles City, MT
20-Aug Butte, MT
21-Aug St. Mary, MT (Glacier)
22-Aug Nine Mile Falls, WA
23-Aug Seattle, WA
24-Aug South Bend, WA
25-Aug Troutdale, OR
26-Aug Bend, OR
27-Aug Mountain Home, ID
28-Aug Wendover, UT
3-Sep Home

HereÔÇÖs my starting mileage (for those of you who have made a pledge based on miles.)

582692942_sCkYC-M.jpg

I ride at dawn! Hope you can follow along.

Have a wonderful & safe adventure...I am sure you will keep us posted.

Don't blink in PieTown...you'll miss it!

Enjoy the :usa

I will be out there as well

Taking a different route but will be leaving 3rd week in July. Ride safe and if, only if, your "agenda" were to change, embrace it and enjoy the moment. It's all about the ride!

Have fun

Day One - July 6

Today was a great start. Up to Donner Lake, around Tahoe, and down 395 to Bishop, with a few scenic detours thrown in. Great riding in the Sierras!

583964885_6WGQP-M.jpg

For more pictures and details, go to my website.

July 7

Heat and more heat.

I left Bishop just before 5:30 a.m., thinking I would beat the heat. That proved wishful thinking. By the time I arrived in Needles it was 110. But thatÔÇÖs only part of the story.

584999734_y8qF6-M.jpg

July 8 and 9 catchup

Technology and Family

Due to some family issues and lack of internet access for two days, IÔÇÖm now playing catch-up.

July 8 was a great ride up to Kingman, AZ. I ÔÇ£got my kicksÔÇØ along 100 miles of some of the best that Route 66 has to offer.

586304878_4JKFG-M.jpg

586304929_WKMxb-M.jpg

586304991_dnkmY-M.jpg

586305026_NYcGy-M.jpg

The following day, July 9, was a welcome change of scenery into the higher elevations along Highway 260, a great road. I met up with JohnLT in Show Low. We weathered a storm together as we crossed in New Mexico in Hwy 60.

Details and photo links a now posted on my website.

Juy 10

Wonderful New Mexico

A personal note of thanks to those who have sent me pledges this week for the Cancer Society. :clap IÔÇÖll be thrilled if I can get 18 more people at a penny a mile. Some cash donations have also come in. :clap I started the trip with $135, and my goal is to hit $1,000. Ambitious, but not impossible given the number of people reading my blog. And finally, to the friends and relatives who have donated to my coffee fund, I thank you for your support and kindness. :thumb

Now, back to my trip

Another big sky day, following me from Pie Town through Albuquerque, and on to Tucumcari. I was ÔÇ£willinÔÇØ to check out a number of little towns along the way in search of Route 66 artifacts. Found some modern technology as well.

588432629_CHwod-M.jpg

More on the website.

July 11

Goodbye Mother Road

I spent half the day checking out more Route 66 remnants along I-40, across Texas and into Oklahoma. I hit the mother lode of Route 66 museums in Elk City. And that was just half the dayÔÇÖs activities!

590247771_sBdot-L.jpg

July12

Sweeping into Hot Springs

Another long and very hot day across Oklahoma and into Arkansas. Lots of great roads and scenery along the way with little or no traffic. The last 30 miles was the best part of the day.

591423669_68kBQ-M.jpg

July 13

More of the scenic South

Continuing south through Arkansas and into Louisiana, the country roads were a mix of the good, the bad, and the ugly. On the way, I found a nice spot to sample more BBQ. At this rate, my diet may be in serious jeopardy!

592420838_WHyVJ-M.jpg

Diet while touring across the south? Good luck with that? :laugh

Thanks for posting photos. I am jealous of your experience.

July 14

Mississippi meanderings

Looking for something to see on I-20 in Mississippi (besides pine trees), I took a little detour to visit a real country store in Kewanee.

Say ÔÇ£cheese.ÔÇØ

594065853_EHUvM-M.jpg

Jul 15

Motorcycle Heaven

I visited the amazing Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum outside of Birmingham on my way to North Carolina. It is home to five floors of every kind of motorcycle imaginable, as well as some classic racecars. My pictures are just a sample of what youÔÇÖll find there. Hopefully you can stay longer than I did.

595019528_wjoCg-L.jpg

Time out - July 21

When I got to Franklin, TN, yesterday I learned my dad has passed away.

For more info please go to my website.

I am very sorry to hear that. My sincerest condolences.

I'm sure some saddle time will provide some time for reflecting. But at the same time, please make sure the news isn't mentally distracting you from your ride. Maybe stay put for a couple of days.

July 16 - 18 Rally Recap

Catching up

As promised, IÔÇÖve updated the website with journals for these three days, and posted a ton of photos on my Smugmug link. There were some amazing roads around Johnson City! I wish IÔÇÖd had three more days there to explore them.

Thanks to all for your prayers, kind words, and your patience. More soon!

600362008_XQLvN-L.jpg

Back