• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Seeking advice on trip through Michigan

Doktork13

I'm planning a road trip with my son in a few weeks - my first major run on the K13GT. We'll be coming into Michigan from Sault Ste Marie, heading south and back to Ontario. Looks to me like the Lake Michigan side would be more interesting to travel along than the Lake Huron side. Does anybody have any opinions about either side?:dunno
Thanks,
Matt

Well, if you do decide to go on the Wisconsin side, and it's after the rallies, drop me a line and maybe we can get together for a bit. There are a lot of nice roads around here.

The Lake Michigan side is more scenic. The Lake Huron shore has some good spots, but once you get south of Oscoda it's pretty industrial in some parts.

West side you have Sleeping Bear Dune National Seashore, Traverse City, Harbor Springs, and much more.

I'm from Michigan and have been to both sides, just my opinion.

HTH
John

West Side

If you choose the west side Head over to Cross Village after crossing the Mackinac Bridge and take 119 south to Petoskey. Great Road that includes the tunnel of trees. Stay on 31 south to Traverse City and pick up M22 that will loop you around the Leelanau Pennisula. Great Lake vistas and Sand Dunes. Stay on M22 until Manistee. After that point, it's a call as to where you plan on crossing the border.... Great roads, scenery, vinyards, etc....

Attachments

• Mapquest.JPG
    Mapquest.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 169
If you choose the west side Head over to Cross Village after crossing the Mackinac Bridge and take 119 south to Petoskey. Great Road that includes the tunnel of trees. Stay on 31 south to Traverse City and pick up M22 that will loop you around the Leelanau Pennisula. Great Lake vistas and Sand Dunes. Stay on M22 until Manistee. After that point, it's a call as to where you plan on crossing the border.... Great roads, scenery, vinyards, etc....
:thumb That's the route I would take (and have taken) for sure!

Appreciate the advice

Thanks for all the tips - I'll have to pay close attention to that speed limit issue since the K13 is so easy to speed on! Jim- I haven't planned the whole route yet but if it includes Kalamazoo I'll let you know.:ca
Matt

I don't know how the mounties are but the U.P. State Partol is ruthless.....5 over TOPS.

My experience has been quite the opposite. If you don't do 15 over (70) cars are right on your tail and if you or they get observed by the patrol, no one cares, seems like anything goes in the UP (and northern WI). I don't recommend it, but that has been my experience in the past, 5 mph is a good idea.
Gilly

+1 On this route :thumb

I did that exact route last year and it was awesome (Even in the rain).

I'm leaving SE Michigan tomorrow for this route and a couple days tooling around Leelanau county. If you take M22 from Northport to Manistee, be sure to stop at the Lake Michigan senic overlook at Arcadia.

enjoy!
peterh

The one addition I would make to the route would be to go all the way into Northport at the northern end of the Leelanau Peninsula. There's a state park with a lighthouse out there, and I love walking along the beach and looking up and down the coast. Very nice out there.

If you are touring around Leelanau County, don't forget some of the interior roads, visit Peterson Park by Northport and just south of Glen Arbor you can check out Inspiration Point lookout, quite a view of both Little and Big Glen along with Lake Michigan. Also on the east side of Glen Lake you can take Miller Hill Road a couple miles, it is a dirt road but I have done it on a touring bike, it is a awesome view from up there. FYI the bridge is out at the narrows between Little Glen and Big Glen lakes so you have to go all around the lakes instead of cutting up between them but no big deal. If you are in Glen Arbor early in AM stop at Leelanau Coffee Roasters for a great coffee and pastry, later in the day make the stop at Arts Tavern for some awesome lunch or diner.

Have a great ride.

Paul
Traverse City
1986 K100RT

If you do the west route (and I would recommend this one, I have done both) there is a great campground 25 miles east of Manistee on M-37. Motorcycle friendly, VERY clean, awesome restaurant with fresh pastries daily. kestelwoodscampground.com And they give mototcyclists a discount too! Check them out.

+1 for Squatch's route

That's a beautiful run! M-119 is a treasure, and M-22 is a great run also. Depending on how you're heading back to Ontario, there are a couple of nice roads heading towards Port Huron, Grange Hall road out of Fenton is nice, and so is Ortonville road.

Hey all; Good suggestions all. Don't forget; M110 from just north of Manistee to just south of Onekama. It runs right along the lake, and has some really nice elevation changes along with some really fun twisties. Lots of seasonal residents, and maybe a little sand in the southern stretches, but very entertaining. Staying on the "gold coast", try Lakeshore drive south of Ludington all the way to Pentwater, fun road, if a bit rough in places. South of pentwater, B-15 (AKA scenic Dr.) will take you all the way to Muskegon. Runs along the shoreline, offers some really great views and is fairly entertaining as well. Lots of campgrounds, and eateries along this coast. Have fun!! Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Michigan

There are great roads on the Lake Huron side, but gets nasty north of Bay City.
Lake Michigan side is great, but then again, once you get past Muskegon, it is over built. Also to take into consideration are road conditions. For some odd reason, this year, a lot of good roads are covered in loose gravel.
I hope I don't sound too negative, just trying to make your ride a pleasant one.
You are sure to have a "Scenic" ride in Michigan. Great views and wildlife. :thumb

Back