Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Post pictures of fun you had this summer on your bmw:

Rt. 50 in Nevada is always cool. From the Lonliest Phone.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Spotted these in Oregon.

Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Made some new friends.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

rocketman
    Hmmm took a ton of good rides, I still am for that matter some of my favorites thou would have to be a ride to the Fairfax Stone at the headwaters of the Potomac, a 17 hour 500+ mile ride

Mid-Ohio for three days

The /5 gathering at Seneca Rocks and ride home through Smoke Hole

Local Square Route Rally where it rained the entire time! (but still fun)
    (no picÔÇÖs)

Bunch of day/weekend rides to nowhere in particular

Just last weekend I went up to Thurmont for the 2004 Nostalgia Run and road with these bikes, on a nice 70 mile putt through the mountains of upper MD and lower PA. Man I love these old machines, the funkier the better!

This is a mid 50ÔÇÖs BMW, well the motor and frame anyway, the rest of it is well, anyones guess, but not bad for $50, in running (more or less) condition.!

a Jawa

and a Monkey Wards,

were among the group I rode with.

There was also a very nice Arial Square Four

you can see more of the 2004 event at my web site here
    then click on photos and Nostalgia Run 2004, also have shots from some rides on Sat and Sun Aug 7 and 8 where I did around 800 miles on my two air heads.

So yeah itÔÇÖs been a good summer and like I said, it ainÔÇÖt over yet! (least not in these parts!)

RM

Yesterday I met a Biker Gang!

9/12 still counts as summer, doesn't it? It was 85 degrees and in Michigan that is summer.
    I was on my way out to cover the NMRA Ford National event at the US 131 Motorsports Park and came across this gang of hell raisers tearing up a county road.
    There were four couples and they ride together every Sunday. They started out with 10-15 mile jaunts and worked up to 100 mile loops on their 49 cc scooters. (Our kinda people huh? Increasing their milage all the time.)
    I learned a lot about scooters and the laws that apply to them in Michigan and enjoyed meeting these people. (Now I never would have met them if I was a slab riding kind of guy on account of they are not allowed on the freeway.)
    One of the guys confessed to hopping up some of the scooters so they will exceed the legal limit of 40 mph in Michigan. (Sorry Dan Z, but none of them had Screemin' Eagle kits installed yet - so I told them to call my dad!) These cruise at 35-40 mph and get around 100 mpg so they ride their ride on a gallon of gas.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't winterize; Rounderize!
    www.yearroundriders.com

Ended up writing a story for the local paper:

We first encountered this gang of two wheeled riders just south of Shelbyville on a sunny Sunday. There were eight of them rolling along in formation and we pulled in behind and tailed them until they pulled into a gas station in Martin for a break.
    They rode similar looking vehicles but there was no evidence of ÔÇ£colorsÔÇØ in their outfits because no two of them were dressed alike. Some wore helmets and some didnÔÇÖt ÔÇô which is okay according to Michigan law because they were riding 49 cc mopeds or scooters. The gang was made up of three couples from Shelbyville and a couple from Caledonia. Leading the pack was Jim Magee with his wife Linda falling in behind. Also from Shelbyville were members Dwight and Anna Bixler and Bob and Mary Schwab. Stan and Bel Bogus are from Caledonia ÔÇô and this ride was their initiation. (It was rumored that their initiation involved buying gas for all the members that day, but like most gangs this one was somewhat secret about the inner working of the organization.)
    The group was on their way to Paw Paw on a trip that would be about 100 miles total for them. When four of them first went out for a Sunday ride it was about 10 or 15 miles, but they have worked their way up to being quite comfortable handling 100 miles in a day. They have taken similar Sunday trips to Hastings, Saranac, and Saugatuck.
    As with most gangs, they have had scrapes with the law. Earlier this year they were stopped by an overzealous, and somewhat uninformed, state trooper because she noticed some of them were not wearing helmets and none of them had license plates.
    ÔÇ£We got pulled over for impersonating motorcycle riders,ÔÇØ joked Dwight Bixler. She received her scooter education and let the group off. Moped, or scooter, riders are not required to wear helmets and they operate legally on ORV stickers not license plates.
    We received our education about scooters from Jim Magee. Jim owns a small engine repair business in Shelbyville and sells the vehicles. He went on to tell us other facts that make owning and riding a scooter very attractive:
    ÔÇó The scooters cost between $1,000.00 to $1,500.00
    ÔÇó They get up to 100 miles per gallon.
    ÔÇó Scooters have lots of storage.
    ÔÇó You can ride legally on any road except the freeways.
    ÔÇó Drivers 19 and older need only a regular driverÔÇÖs license.
    ÔÇó Those 15 to 19 need a permit and a helmet.
    The gang loves their scooters. Their favorite roads are the better county and state ones because they have a nice shoulder for them to ride on. The law states they need to stay to the right in the lane, but when there is a shoulder they ride on them. Mary Scwab was quick to praise Michigan motorists. ÔÇ£Everyone is friendly and courteous to us,ÔÇØ she said. ÔÇ£Most everyone waves and we have never had any problems with other drivers.ÔÇØ
    This has been a good summer for the Shelbyville Gang. The excellent weather has allowed this group of grandparents to make many similar Sunday excursions and they have put 1200 or more miles on their bikes.
    They keep an eye out for each other. Jim watches his mirrors and keeps count of the group and Bob Schwab brings up the rear of the parade. Sometimes the group splits up when the ladies want to concentrate on garage sales and they all carry cell phones in case of an emergency.
    Like any good reporter would, we kept asking questions until we got to the heart of the story and uncovered the real reason the group was riding all the way to Paw Paw. The art fair was part of the motivation, but the clincher for the deal came from MageeÔÇÖs brother in law, Lionel Haskins, who operates a food concession. He promised the group they would eat for free ÔÇ£if they made it all the way there.ÔÇØ
    The promise of free food as a reward for a ride on a perfect sunny day would make anyone ride a scooter for 100 miles or so, wouldnÔÇÖt it?
    www.yearroundriders.com

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    so Cliffy, how long before they left you in the dust?
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Talking to tell the truth

I stalled packing up my cub reporter notebook and super keen camera so they got bored and left first to save me the humiliation of getting left behind.....
    www.yearroundriders.com

Crater Lake, Oregon on my way up to Spokane!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Marty Takimoto
    1999 R1100R
    BMWMOA #107071/IBA #44006
    El Cerrito, CA

Thumbs up Crater Lake

is ab-so-lute-ly gorgeous. Wow.
    www.yearroundriders.com

ian408
    Originally posted by Calnalu
    Crater Lake, Oregon on my way up to Spokane!
    Everyone should go to Crater Lake!

Great picture.

Ian

ian408
    Originally posted by KBasa
    Probably my favorite photo this year.

Arches National Park at dawn. That's Chacifer down there in the front.
    This one's a keeper. Great light, setting. The whole bit.

Ian

Got it in June.

REBECCAV
    Congratulations, Win3855!!! Nice pictures everyone!

Can I wait to post until after summer's over???