• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The Project

Hey All,

Well I'm about to embark on my largest farkleing project ever. Here's the list:

1. Install fuse block, EB, with wiring harness.
2. Oil cooler protector grill.
3. RCU shelf.
4. PIAAs to fuse block (switched).
5. GPS to fuse block (switched?), then mount to shelf.
6. Hyper-Lytes brake lights.
7. Headlight Modulator.

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice (leaving myself open here) is welcome.
:usa
Thanks,
Rich

Ooops, could a moderator move this to "Gear", please?
Thanks, Rw

To get all the wiring in, you'll be removing pretty much all the tupperware. If you want to make your life easier routing the wiring, remove the gas tank too.

Since you'll have it all stripped down, if you think you might be adding comm sometime, now would be the time to at add the wiring for the comm (PTT, headphones/mic wiring, etc.).

Ah tupperware!
Yes I've taken it off before. That was prior to the fine write up by Semper Fi. I had no idea what I was doing then, but took stuff apart all the time as a kid. :dunno
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll keep you posted. It looks like a rainy week-end coming up, I'll start then.

Rubber down
Rich

Hey All,

Well I'm about to embark on my largest farkleing project ever. Here's the list:

1. Install fuse block, EB, with wiring harness.
2. Oil cooler protector grill.
3. RCU shelf.
4. PIAAs to fuse block (switched).
5. GPS to fuse block (switched?), then mount to shelf.
6. Hyper-Lytes brake lights.
7. Headlight Modulator.

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice (leaving myself open here) is welcome.
Thanks,
Rich
Thanks, Rw

I recommend wiring the PIAA's in so they only come on with the High Beams. And also have a switch so they can be turned off. Mine are that way, and I can leave the switch for them on and hit the High Beam Passing flasher and it is much more attention getting. Nice to be able to turn them off just by dimming the High Beam also.

The GPS I wired hot all the time so that it keeps my GPS charged when the bike is not running.

Enjoy the work, sounds like some great mods.

hairsmith,
I'm afraid your wiring suggestion is over my head. :dunno Also, my GPS is a Garmin 2820 which doesn't have an internal battery to re-charge. Thanks for your advice, tho.
Rich

On hold

Getting all the mods together today for the project, I find that I'm missing the mounting screws for the RCU shelf. I called RCU Designs to purchase the missing screws... They're sending them free of charge and no shipping!
Project on hold for now, was going to start/finish this week-end.
On a brighter note, the weather is supposed to clear up, so I'll be riding instead!
Rubber down
Rich

I also have the EB fuse block follow his instructions and be careful wen putting in the fuses the plugs are easy to bend (very easy!). I also have my GPS wired to an unswitched outlet, not to recharge it but so that when I stop for gas I don't have to reboot it. I haven't forgotten to shut it off, yet. Happy wiring.

Thanks for the heads up re easy to bend, I'll be careful. BTW, where did you tap in for switched power? Thanks.
Rubber Down

Last edited:
Back