Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: 1300 GT Shutting Down

Maybe I have the one good K1300S?? I've only had three experiences with it stalling out and have over 3,000 miles on the odo. I run mid-grade 89 octane gas, maybe that makes a difference (manual says I can). The three stalls occurred as I was coming to a stop, so I figured it might be my personal riding habits (having slugged along on K1100's until now). I noted I was doing a lot of engine braking and only pulling the clutch lever in fully as I was near a full stop and now I pull it in fully much sooner, reducing the amount of engine braking and applying more real brake. I have the recall sitting on my desk but not so sure I want to bring it in given a) it doesn't seem to fix all the reported problems and b) it could affect my low oil light.
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

From the FWIW section: Last weekend I had two recalls done: the software update and the front master cylinder. The handlebar switches for that recall are on order as mine failed the test (?!?? works fine AFAIK).

I'm not sure I like the software "solution". They reduced the engine braking to prevent the stalling. I noticed this as I was heading into one of my regular tight right curves, throttling off to lose some speed as I entered the curve, and I wasn't losing my usual amount of speed and entering the turn a little hot. I'm not sure I like this solution... but now that I'm aware of it, I'll just have to adjust. I tested this further by leaving the bike in 2nd gear as I came to a stop. I can get down to about 5 MPH before the engine starts to noticeably struggle and I have to pull the clutch in.
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    I noticed the same change in the RPM, but that is at a pretty low range, by the time it gets to 1300 rpm, I am no longer in the engine braking mode, so I don't see or feel any effect on that. I guess I have always pulled the clutch in sooner and so I do notice that the revs stay around 1300 for a tad before settling down, I notice no effect on decel on my bike. But then, I went three months without riding it, got the remap done and am jumping on it as if it were new to me. Maybe that helps me adjust? I only have 600 miles since the remap, but I LOVE the way it runs.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/