• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1300 GT Shutting Down

The NHTSA investigation undoubtedly forced the acceleration of their announced recall. NHTSA initiated the investigation of the stalling problem in the first week of November, so this is not unexpected.

Or coulda been the fact that dealers were pulling 1300 bikes off the floor 'til they were fixed...

Doesnt say much for any manufacture when the Safety Council has to step to order a fix. This goes against everything that BMW stands for in my book.

Shame on them:nono

I haven't had mine done yet, but probably will within the next couple of weeks. I've only had mine for 3 months and it has 6,100 miles on it but SO FAR has never stalled on me (KNOCK ON WOOD!) But now I have to get the update, since it's "official"

Let us know how it goes - very interested to see the driveability difference of before and after update.

Mine also stalls very infrequently. :lurk

Doesnt say much for any manufacture when the Safety Council has to step to order a fix. This goes against everything that BMW stands for in my book.

Shame on them:nono

Why do we think BMW wasn't working on this from the beginning and trying to find a permanant fix? And that it took time and testing and developing a new map for the engine.

I read the recall info. I found it astounding, since it says bad fuel can cause deposits that cause a loss of air at just off idle in stopping situations. So bad fuel and cruddy throttle bodies can now be fixed with a computer adjustment. It sounds like they are going to have to enrichen the map.

It sounds like the map was too lean (Oilhead surging redux, anybody?) and needs to be richer. I wonder of they are doing the recall in Canada?

My take on it is that the new map doesn't allow the engine to be as susceptible to fuel issues, deposits, and be too lean. The newly mapped bikes don't come down to idle as fast, so I read. Also, I wonder how they are going to meet the future epa requirements. That further makes me wonder if the "it mostly only happens in the US" supports those thoughts.

Why do we think BMW wasn't working on this from the beginning and trying to find a permanant fix? And that it took time and testing and developing a new map for the engine.
Jack
My stalling started in June after 6400 miles were on the bike. I rode the bike for five months with this problem and it was not fun. After I had the throttle plates cleaned the stalling ceased. Now, why do I think BMW was not working the problem? It's because I got the mushroom treatment form my dealer and BMW NA. There was no feedback from BMW that they even acknowledged that a problem existed. Since most dealers could not replicate the malfunction there was a certain amount of disbelief on the BMW side. Then when the owners banded together and started registering complaints with the NHTSB and multiple forums BMW started to take notice. This has not ben a pleasant experience for those of us that had the stalling problems. This is the antithesis of how good customer relations are established.

My two cents.

Don S

My two cents reflect the sediments of Dons email with the problem I had with the K1200S. They didnt recognize the problem I was having although they had reports from hundreds of owners of the same complaint along with the rear drive failure that BMW still state are non- existant and will not cover repair bills.
Now the 1300 issues?? I agree that all manufactures face common problems with thier products wether they are automotive, toasters or motorcycles. It is the way the problems are addressed that make a manufacture win my next purchase and the way BMW has handled this problem is enough for me to move onto other manufactures for my two wheeled pleasure.

My two cents............

Jack
My stalling started in June after 6400 miles were on the bike. I rode the bike for five months with this problem and it was not fun. After I had the throttle plates cleaned the stalling ceased. Now, why do I think BMW was not working the problem? It's because I got the mushroom treatment form my dealer and BMW NA. There was no feedback from BMW that they even acknowledged that a problem existed. Since most dealers could not replicate the malfunction there was a certain amount of disbelief on the BMW side. Then when the owners banded together and started registering complaints with the NHTSB and multiple forums BMW started to take notice. This has not ben a pleasant experience for those of us that had the stalling problems. This is the antithesis of how good customer relations are established.

My two cents.

Don S

Ok. I certainly feel your pain. I'm just used to BMW being mum about issues even to the extent of formally stating there is no issue and then coming out with a fix a few weeks later. I guess I kind of expect it after 40 years. I even know of a dealer who pulled the 1300s off the floor last summer. My dealer didn't ignore it either, they just didn't know how to fix it. BMW was working on it they said. And as far as the throttle body cleaning goes, they had stallers with clean throttle bodies. There was one '06 K12S that just started stalling last fall and the remap fixed it. My wife's and my '08 K12Ses have stalled only once in the heat last summer. I think I'll remap them both.

My Experience

I've got an '09 K1300GT and had seen the stalling problem 3 or 4 times when this issue first appeared in this thread. Having read about it here, I worked with my dealer (BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta). The dealer has been excellent to deal with - both giving me regular updates and following the guidance of BMW Corporate,

On the recommendation of BMW Corporate, I had my throttle bodies cleaned and the adaptives reset, and never had the problem again. I have since also gotten the software update. Dealer said throttle bodies were clean. I'm certain I didn't train teh adaptives the same way as I was no longer in the break-in period :dance.

The service manager speculates that it is a series of conditions that lead to the stalling - a large part of which is how the adaptives learn/set up, our riding style, and conditions of fuel, etc. Fortunately, one of their 'test' bikes - a K1300S also had the problem, so they were able to experiment with it, and didn't think I was crazy even if they didn't reproduce the problem on my bike.

Having worked in customer support in a large corporation for a long time, I do believe there is a 'life cycle' of these problems. They get reported; they get checked. If they can't reproduce, the reports are suspect; if they can, they start work. Even when they can't reproduce the problem, if the reports persist, they look further as it may be very intermittent or only under certain conditions that it occurs. This appears to be a highly complex, intermittent problem that took time to reproduce, then solve, then ensure that the fix actually solved the problem.

I'll admit I'm one of the first to escalate and put pressure on companies when I think I'm not being fairly treated - that just wasn't my experience here - if anything, it strengthened my support of my local dealer.

Just my .02 (or maybe .0000002) worth, but my experience was very good.

Good insight Steve - since you had the software upgrade have you noted any change in driveability, either good or bad?

...since you had the software upgrade have you noted any change in driveability, either good or bad?

Fortunately, the stalling problem was fixed before the software upgrade (no problems since resetting adaptives/cleaning throttle bodies) - and this is over several thousand miles, so I can't say what the fix did about the stalling problem.

As far as the software - perhaps just a little smoother on power delivery, and a little slower dropping down to idle speed when pulling in clutch and letting off of throttle. Other than that, it's just running great.

I do have a different problem, though. The more I twist that thingy on the right side handlebar, the faster my rear tire wears out ;).

"I do have a different problem, though. The more I twist that thingy on the right side handlebar, the faster my rear tire wears out"

The cure for that is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat. Unfortunately in my case its really loose...and there's no fix... :brad

Hi
My GT started shutting down between down shifts or when coasting to a stop. No trouble restarting, it starts right up. This started after about 200 miles into a trip. This was happening about 8-12 times a day on this trip. I called my SM and he said to make sure I was using good gas with the highest octane number I could get. When I got to Chicago I called Chicago BMW and the SM said he would take a wild guess that it was a throttle/EFI mapping problem. He stated that anytime the battery is disconnected on these bikes that the throttle mapping needed to be accomplished. He told me how to do the procedure and I did it. This improved the situation but did not fix it. I am home now and do for the 12K service. My trip was 7285 miles, 19 days, i9 states from Florida to California and back. Best MPG were in Utah/Colorado with 87 Octane non ethanol fuel. I actually got 54MPG there. One other 1300GT owner on another forum is having the shut down problem and he has less than 600 miles on his bike.
Any ideas appreciated.

Don S
You say there's a procedure, can you explain it???
I disconnected my battery and started the same problem.

I believe the dealerships have recalled the 1300 for this issue due to pressure from NHSTA. It has been proven that the fuel is not the problem. From the previous threads, I believe the problems you and many others are experiencing are from a software glitch. Contact your dealer and ask them about the recall. Several dealers have pulled thier inventory on the 1300's due to the serverity and potential danger of this problem.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.:banghead

There is indeed now a published recall on the K13 GT and S models to fix the stalling issue. The fix is new fuel managment software mapping (v14.2 I believe). I had my GT done in January, as soon as the fix was issued, and so far its solved the problem...If you have a K13 GT or S and haven't had the recall fix done, it needs to be accomplished. Oh, there is also a recall out for the hardbag locks on the GT. Something about lock casing cracks or similar. The dealer should be able to take of that at the same time if you're a GT rider...mine did both recalls in about an hour (I've got a really good dealer and service dept...)

Before you get the upgrade have them run your VIN and confrim that 14.2 will not throw a <!> oil warning after the software burn.

I had 14.2 with the <!>; waiting for 14.3

The new software is wonderful.

What models are affected for the saddle bag recall? Wouldn't the bags on my 1200 be the same as a 1300?
Gilly

Evidently the saddlebag recall is a minor issue. Mine was on the recall list and the dealer did it, but said they saw no evidence of any problem. They had already done three others and didn't find any problem with those, either.

Agree on the software fix, it's excellent...

Back