• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1300 GT Shutting Down

When you mention the slides are you talking about the throttle bodies?

If so are they plannign to do it with the TB's on the bike.

Also another question to ask is if indeed this is the magic pill will this be a warranty item for the install base?

Thanks and keep us updated

It's the area just above the throttle plates...supposed to alter the operation of the fuel/air mix.
I have heard of the problem in the first few miles of a new bike. Hmmm. Does this happen in the rest of the world? Or just in the USA?

Some dealers think it's just in the USA...I don't think so if you read the forums. Some think it's gas...I kind of don't...why are the 1300s so much worse than the 1200s? There is some talk about different valve timing, etc. making the sensitivity to some common issues such as gas additives more an issue for the 1300. That doesn't speak to the low or no mileage 1300 bikes which stall sometimes also.

This all sounds like a continuation of the poor response BMW has for thier failing final drives. All manufactures have issues with thier products however how they respond is what seperates the good from the bad. BMW seems to know how to sell thier products, just hasnt figured out the service side. And with the 1000RR coming online, they are about to have thier hands full should this tidbit of new techno have issues.

This should be some interesting read for the next several months..........

Good luck to you all!:banghead

I'll be sure to post the full details of my discussion with my service manager today. On the phone he was very upfront about the problem, and seemed to indicate there was an interim fix (cleaning, routine fuel additive) until BMW comes up with a permanent solution. I've got a good service shop, so at least I think I'll get the straight scoop, at least as much as they know.

I'll be sure to post the full details of my discussion with my service manager today. On the phone he was very upfront about the problem, and seemed to indicate there was an interim fix (cleaning, routine fuel additive) until BMW comes up with a permanent solution. I've got a good service shop, so at least I think I'll get the straight scoop, at least as much as they know.
I see you are from Tampa. I use Eurocycles in Tampa for my Beemer work. Is that the shop you use?

Don S

Yep, EuroCycles. They've done a pretty good job for me in the past. Here's the update: I took the bike in this morning. They had it for 2 hours. They confirmed the throttle bodies (butterfly valve) were gunked up. They even took pictures of them to send to BMW. They cleaned them out, then stuck the bike on the computer and reset the adaptation values. Service manager says BMW is now going to be providing a fuel additive to prevent the deposit buildup as an interim fix. They have just heard from BMW on this, but don't have the additive yet. Our dealer is part of a 20 dealer consortium that gets together and works on issues. They discovered the marine industry is having a big problem with this as well, and is using a product called StarTron Enzyme Fuel Additive to combat the deposit buildup, so they are using it as well and having good results. Once they cleaned out the throttle bodies and reset them, they filled up the tank and added about 2 oz. of the StarTron to the tank. I got it back after their test ride and rode it home, about 40 miles, including about 10 miles of stoplight to stoplight riding. No stalling and it also cured a tiny bit of throttle lag as well. I'm sure the gunky throttle bodies were the culprit on that, too. Guidance on the StarTron is 1 oz. per full fillup, and they gave me the rest of the bottle. You can get it at any marine supply store. I'm going to just pre-fill some small 1 oz. bottles and keep them in the bike to use when I fill up, until this issue gets fixed. They are going to keep me posted on any more info from BMW on the issue (I'm in there all the time, as they do my Ducati as well).

That's it for now! Hope this helps...

I just picked up my new K13S on Tuesday the 22nd. I had called my dealer ahead of time on Saturday when the dealer in Aurora, CO had told me they had pulled all their K1300Ss from the floor due to the issue. My dealer said they had this 'fix' and that they were very proactive in this area, despite having only experienced one or two customers with issues, and they are a big volume dealer - relative for this economy of course. So, I have the BMW fuel additive to use as I refill my tank. The active ingredient is not listed, rather "Petroleum Distillates" is listed. So far in my first 70+ miles, no problem, but I do ride a LOT, so I should find out soon if this is indeed the fix. I may pickup some StarTron to have on hand.

Last edited:
It may be Chevron's Techtron. That's what BMW has me putting in my bike now every 3,000 miles. IT will help keep the fuel system clean and help protect all but the rubber parts from the nasty alcohol and such we are getting in our fuel here in the States.

BMW just replaced nearly my entire fuel system on my '09 GSA because of of fuel pump failure at 10,500 miles. Assumed culprit: too much alcohol in the fuel. And I use only Shell V-power.

Shop here also recommended using only top tier gas (Shell, Chevron, Texaco, etc) all the time. Anybody else got recommendations for the best fuel to combat this?

Cleaner in the fuel might be a good thing, but I don't think it has all to do with the stalling issue. I think my K1200S '08 has stalled once...on a hot day after a long run on the road. 12000 miles so far on the '08. I have had an '05 '06 and now an '08. No stalling. I have used just about every kind of (premium only) gas in the west, central, and east parts of the country.
I still want to know what is different about the K1300 engine that has made this stalling issue an epidemic.

I just bought an '09 K1300S last month... experienced the stall issue three times prior to the 500 mile mark on the ODO. The last time it happened, it seemed to me I was pulling the clutch lever in rather slowly when coming up and exit ramp preparing to downshift and stop. I was in third gear pulling in the clutch lever to shift to 2nd. Since then, I have consciously pulled the lever in quick and for almost 700 more miles now (1130+ total on the bike) I have not had it stall again. Around the same time, I switched from premium to mid-grade gas, which the manual says is OK - more mileage, less performance, which is fine by me - it has PLentY of performance. We don't, in general, have ethanol in our gas here in West MI, so I cannot comment on that suspected relation. I have traveled through MI, IN, IL, and WI now, all in the last 700 miles, gassing up in each, and at least one must have had ethanol and no notable effect.

I am absobfreakinglutely lovin' this bike...!

I just bought an '09 K1300S last month...

Congratulstions - did you post a picture oif it?

experienced the stall issue three times prior to the 500 mile mark on the ODO. The last time it happened, it seemed to me I was pulling the clutch lever in rather slowly when coming up and exit ramp preparing to downshift and stop. I was in third gear pulling in the clutch lever to shift to 2nd. Since then, I have consciously pulled the lever in quick and for almost 700 more miles now (1130+ total on the bike) I have not had it stall again.

I have noticed a similar event on my GT, and what i have done is not only pull the clutch in quick but also be completely off throttle - it seems to help

I am absobfreakinglutely lovin' this bike...!

AWESOME isn't it!

Like your sig line for the S

BMW K1300GT Stalling Problem

There is an interesting article on page 5 of the November 2009 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. It seems the stalling problem is BMW's highest priority right now. And apparently it is not just a problem on GTs, but other K 1300s.

BMW is working on the "Mapping" problem. It is "believed" a solution will be available "soon."

It sounds like the check is in the mail.

Easy :german

If this problem happens twice and the dealer is unable to fix it twice. Start a "lemon law" case with BMW Motorcycles of NA. Call the customer service number and tell them you want to open a lemon law case on your bike. I guarantee they will take notice when they are looking at eating the cost of all the 1300 bikes that are having problems and having to resell them branded as lemons.

Lemon Law

The requirements of the Lemon Law very from state to state however if I recall correctly, the issue has to have three documented service repairs, not two. Also, you must well document all conversations with your service personel and start with your adviser, then to the manager and if possible, to the owner of the dealer. If all else fails, you will need to track down the BMW Zone rep. His number should be in the back of your owners manual. Only after having the issue serviced three times and have spoke to all personel at the dealer, I would place the call to BMW NA.
Maintain a professional tone and do not lose your cool. A zone rep will make arrangements to meet with you and the dealer personel to discuss further options. The lemon law is there to protect the consumer however without documentation and a professional attitude, you will find this is a very long road.

I would try to get the dealer to fix the problem however if BMW is going to handle this shutting down issue like they have the rear drive failures, then they deserve what they have coming. Fact is, it appears BMW is the only one stating the ethynol content in the fuel is reaping havoc with thier bikes, Ducati, Aprilia, Honda, Yamaha, MV Agusta, Suzuki or the many other manufactures are not having these problems to date, nor are the BMW automobiles. :buds

Let's not mention the HPFP on the N54 engine, but that is already discussed to death on all the BMW car forums :lurk

A suggestion from another K-Bike site...

"Trying to come up with some kind of common ground to help solve the stalling issue. Please fill out options and please submit a report to the NHTSA and BMWNA 1-800-831-1117 ex 8849 detailing your experiences."

Regards,

Clay AA3JY
Kimberton,Pa.

K bike shutdown

In review of a couple messages regarding this issue, what is the current percentage of bikes being produced with this problem? Is it all 1300's across the board or just the ST or S models? I cant imagine riding along and having the vehicle that I am driving just shut down. Regardless wether it be a bike, car, or boat, it is unacceptable. How are the dealers handling this problem?? Are they providing any support or are they stating that it is out of thier hands until the factory gets involved??

Back