• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1300 GT Shutting Down

k1600GTrider

Hi
My GT started shutting down between down shifts or when coasting to a stop. No trouble restarting, it starts right up. This started after about 200 miles into a trip. This was happening about 8-12 times a day on this trip. I called my SM and he said to make sure I was using good gas with the highest octane number I could get. When I got to Chicago I called Chicago BMW and the SM said he would take a wild guess that it was a throttle/EFI mapping problem. He stated that anytime the battery is disconnected on these bikes that the throttle mapping needed to be accomplished. He told me how to do the procedure and I did it. This improved the situation but did not fix it. I am home now and do for the 12K service. My trip was 7285 miles, 19 days, i9 states from Florida to California and back. Best MPG were in Utah/Colorado with 87 Octane non ethanol fuel. I actually got 54MPG there. One other 1300GT owner on another forum is having the shut down problem and he has less than 600 miles on his bike.
Any ideas appreciated.

Don S

It's a 1300GT, going in for the 12K service, just maybe you could tell the dealer to fix it under warranty?? Just a thought.

Gilly

1300 GT Shutdown

The bike is still in the warranty period. My concern is they will not find the cause of the problem because it is intermittent. If no fault balls are set, then it will be tough to diagnose.

Don S

me too

I just recently started having the same problem. usually after a nice run on the freeway coming up the off ramp to a stop. re-starts right away,. no problem there. maybe an idle sensor problem? I do not drop from 6k rpm to o it is a steady decrease so it is not a fuel cut-off ( anology). 2000 miles on my gt, other than that my info button and my hazard button stopped working after my breakin service, the new button layout maybe?? fortunately it is not a ridability issue yet!:bolt

The bike is still in the warranty period. My concern is they will not find the cause of the problem because it is intermittent. If no fault balls are set, then it will be tough to diagnose.

Don S

That's true, Don. I should have looked at it from your side. Never hurts to see if others know what they have to do to fix it. That's what the internet is here for, just ask your mechanic, he'll tell ya:p

Gilly

1300 GT Shut Down

Just dropped my 1300GT to have the same problem repaired. The service manager thought it maybe caused by a problem in the idle sensor circuit. Will follow up as soon as I get the bike back from the shop.

That's true, Don. I should have looked at it from your side. Never hurts to see if others know what they have to do to fix it. That's what the internet is here for, just ask your mechanic, he'll tell ya:p

Gilly
Gilly
Maybe I am not being fair, BUT, I have three items that need to be taken care of:
A)Fix the engine shut down problem
B)12K Service
C) New tires

If I dropped the bike off both B and C would be accomplished while A (under warranty) would be a could not duplicate or no fault balls were set. I really want the shut down issue resolved before doing the other work. We have enough folks with the same problem that it is possible we could get some serious troubleshooting done by BMW.

Don S

K1300GT Shutting Down

Received a call today from the service manager at the dealership servicing my K1300GT. They have asked BMW for direction on the problem and have been informed by BMW that they are aware of the problem and are working on a solution. With no indication of how long this will take the dealer has offered me the use of a demo bike until the problem is resolved.

A friend of mine has had this same problem with a V-Strom 1000 for a while. More than one suzuki shop has failed to really fix it. I'll bet BMW does no better.

Received a call today from the service manager at the dealership servicing my K1300GT. They have asked BMW for direction on the problem and have been informed by BMW that they are aware of the problem and are working on a solution. With no indication of how long this will take the dealer has offered me the use of a demo bike until the problem is resolved.

Have you heard any more from your dealer???

Thanks

Don S

K1200R Stalling/Shutting Down

Your post proves to me that BMW has no clue to the solution of this same problem that has been bugging me since 2006, and that it has carried over to the K1300 bikes. Look at the forum for BMW Superbikes about the topic of Stalling to read more about this all too common issue.

Your post proves to me that BMW has no clue to the solution of this same problem that has been bugging me since 2006, and that it has carried over to the K1300 bikes. Look at the forum for BMW Superbikes about the topic of Stalling to read more about this all too common issue.
They make it sound pretty simple-just remove the vacuum line from the filter to the cannister. Makes you wonder why BMW cannot come up with a fix since this problem is so prevalent on these bikes.

Don S

Sounds like software from Microsoft!!!!!!

I have written embedded software for years, now I have an easy job.

BUT, some things to think about

Does this happen when near cell phone, or radio/TV towers. Near High Voltage lines? Trucks with CB radios. Airports? When it happens try turning your cell phone/ radio even GPS and every other electronic divice you can think of off.

Altitude or temperature changes?

If course, they should be looking for loose wire connections. There is a very expensive chemical called stabilant 22A. It is a connection enhancer.

http://www.stabilant.com/

You can try cleaning all the connections with contact cleaner, then put some of this stuff on. It works like magic. I had one old Zilog development system for the Z-80 ( Yes, i am old) that needed the boards reseated every day. One treatment with this stuff, and it ran for many more years.

I had an 86 Monte Carlo SS that ran like crap when it rained. I treated all the under hood connections with this stuff, and the connector to the computer, Problem solved. I do not have it anymore, well I do, but DOG only knows where.

If for about $40, if it fixes it, i bet you will have free libations of your choice at every rally you attend, at least until your bottle runs dry.

If not, then someday you will have something that only works when you hit it (does not work on teenagers, I meant electronic) and if you can find where you put this stuff, it will fix it.

Be sure to post back

Good luck

Rod

In my case it did not happen in the first 4500 miles. It has happened at sea level(Fl) as well as at altitude(Co, Ut,) damp conditions as well as dry conditions. Full tank of gas as well as 1/4 full tank. Different brands of gas. Different octanes. I have spent quite a bit of time trying to isolate/identify a set of circumstances that causes this problem but have not been successful yet.

Don S

In my case it did not happen in the first 4500 miles

Don S

4 cylinder bikes have some high frequency buzz. This is PERFECT for something called fretting corrosion in connectors. It makes connectors intermittent. All you need is one connector somewhere critical. It will get worse with age if this is it. I wish I could find that bottle. I would send it to someone with time to try it. This is one of the things you run into in cheap copy of connector designs. They copy the connector faithfully, but do not know about the factory installed lubricant. If this is it, it will only get worse with age, and then replacing any part will fix it, for a while.

It is an interesting subject to read up about. Google connector fretting corrosion.

Another problem could come from the no lead European directive (ROHS). Lead solder is a wonderful material, and the newer ones are inferior. Just suggesting. I have dealt with low level analog signals in outdoor environments for years, and it can be a real education.

I am glad I have a easy job now.

Rod

2006 K1200R Stalling

Let me post BOTH stalling problems I have endured since early 2006 starting after the first service...Tis is an email I recently sent to my dealer...They have responded with an appointment which will be covered under warranty (Bike out of Warranty, but complaint multiple times while it was still under warranty)

As you know I have had my 2006 K1200R in to you for warranty service with the Stalling Problem associated with this engine as the principal and recurring cuplrit. The bike ran without stalling when I first got it in November 2005 for about 8000 miles. My only complaint about it, other than the rear brake servo failure, was that it surged, like a pre-2004 oilhead, under no load, slow speed conditions.

During the time from the Summer of 2006 until August 2008, I experienced the first type of stalling problem, which is well documented on the http://www.bmw-k.com/forum, where, upon slowing for a stop and pulling in the clutch, the engine would die...this would continue through every subsequent restart of the engine until the key was actually turned off. THEN, upon immediately reactivating the bike by turning the key back on, and pushing the starter button, the bike would return to normal operation. I likened this to a cold restart of a Windows Computer whose behavior had become squirrelly.

It was not until I was actually riding to your shop for my last available warranty appointment in November 2008 that I experienced the second type of stalling problem, which is also well documented on the http://www.bmw-k.com/forum, and in that 73 mile trip my home here in York, PA to your shop, it occurred 4 times...upon approaching a stop, and pulling in the clutch, the bike would stall. However, this time I could push the starter WITHOUT turning the key OFF first, and the bike would idle operate properly. However, shortly thereafter while approaching another stop it would happen again. After this service, this second type of stalling appeared to be behind us. However, it just happened to me last week, so here I am to report it. The first type of stalling problem has not reoccurred. Let me say that I have ridden this bike only about 1500 miles since the last service.

The forum has posted success stories ranging from checking all seals and connections downstream of the airbox to replacement of the O2 sensor and ECU. Some guys have resorted to third party devices, that I don't want to get into. All I want is for the Bike to run properly at all times.

Has BMW aknowledged that there are problems with this K12 engine and stalling? What do you suggest? Please know that since these problems have been reported by me to you during the warranty period, and that they are not resolved so far, that I consider them still to be addressed under warranty.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to your answer.

David L Good

Forum Feedback is Appreciated

Hello everybody my 1300 had 1400 miles on it before i had to go back to work. I pulled the battery and put it on a bmw trik-charge while i was gone. When i returned i put the batt back in and the bike started and ran fine. The second day home the shut down problem started like everybody else only when coming down from higher rpms and was re-starting with no problem. Then the left side controls started malfunctioning (the wind shield, right turn, esa, and info switches) all stopped working. Took the bike in tec said i had left the bike without no batt for to long (4 months) and the internal batts died so the system re-set to default settings. I being a non motor head said ok he re-programed the computer and said the problem was fixed. The left hand control problem was another issue. I was told that a circuit board fried and that this was not unusual he had seen these bad boards come on new bikes right out of the box. The part was ordered and i was sent home with the bike running ok to wait for the part. Next day went out to ride and the dam thing will not start at all now. When you turn on the key the info screen does not go through the test mode just to a screen that is half ass working. Of course its sunday and bmw is closed till tuesday so i try the thing a few more times and give up. Tuesday i am loading the bike on a truck to go the 100 miles to the dealer and just for the hell of it i hit the start button and the thing starts. The dealership i bought the bike at are good people and are doing everything to get me going again but they also said it is electronic and if it is working when they test it the problem can be a bitch to find. Don't know the out come yet i dropped the thing off and went on a vacation for a week. I will post what was found out when i get back maybe it will help with someone else's problems.

Hello everybody my 1300 had 1400 miles on it before i had to go back to work. I pulled the battery and put it on a bmw trik-charge while i was gone. When i returned i put the batt back in and the bike started and ran fine. The second day home the shut down problem started like everybody else only when coming down from higher rpms and was re-starting with no problem. Then the left side controls started malfunctioning (the wind shield, right turn, esa, and info switches) all stopped working. Took the bike in tec said i had left the bike without no batt for to long (4 months) and the internal batts died so the system re-set to default settings. I being a non motor head said ok he re-programed the computer and said the problem was fixed. The left hand control problem was another issue. I was told that a circuit board fried and that this was not unusual he had seen these bad boards come on new bikes right out of the box. The part was ordered and i was sent home with the bike running ok to wait for the part. Next day went out to ride and the dam thing will not start at all now. When you turn on the key the info screen does not go through the test mode just to a screen that is half ass working. Of course its sunday and bmw is closed till tuesday so i try the thing a few more times and give up. Tuesday i am loading the bike on a truck to go the 100 miles to the dealer and just for the hell of it i hit the start button and the thing starts. The dealership i bought the bike at are good people and are doing everything to get me going again but they also said it is electronic and if it is working when they test it the problem can be a bitch to find. Don't know the out come yet i dropped the thing off and went on a vacation for a week. I will post what was found out when i get back maybe it will help with someone else's problems.

I'm not sure about what the screen would look like if you turned the key on and the kill switch off, but there were bad switches on these bikes which were delivered around the first part of '09. Both sides. New handlebar switches may cure most of this.

My 09 K1300GT goes in tomorrow morning to address the low speed, clutch pull stalling problem. The bike has 4800 miles on it. When I informed my service manager (very reliable shop), he very quickly agreed the issue was a problem, and said they are waiting on a fix from BMW. In the meantime, he says best information he has is that ethanol mix in the gas appears to be leaving deposits on the slides, causing the stall problem. Until BMW comes up with a fix (different mapping, etc), they are cleaning the slides and using a fuel additive every X number of fill-ups to combat the problem. I'll post more after tomorrow morning's warranty work and face-to-face discussion with him.

When you mention the slides are you talking about the throttle bodies?

If so are they plannign to do it with the TB's on the bike.

Also another question to ask is if indeed this is the magic pill will this be a warranty item for the install base?

Thanks and keep us updated

Back