• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1300 GT Shutting Down

There's more out now for the stalling issue. Check with your dealer if you have any problems.

Can you clarify this? When I read your post, I called my service guy and he says there has been nothing new from BMW lately. According to him (and I have a pretty reliable shop) BMW is still saying throttle body cleaning, use of top tier gas and occasional fuel additive usage.

Your service adviser/ manager needs to check the latest BMW recall bulletins. The recall was posted this month ( November ). It is questionable wether this will resolve the shut down problem though.........:usa

Can you clarify this? When I read your post, I called my service guy and he says there has been nothing new from BMW lately. According to him (and I have a pretty reliable shop) BMW is still saying throttle body cleaning, use of top tier gas and occasional fuel additive usage.

If you are still having troubles with your 1300 (it's not a recall), there is a latest version of software update available for the engine.

I believe it is now a recall coming out very soon on the stalling issue. A remap of the engine management.

Engine Remap

Do you believe the v 14.2 software update is the engine management remap recall?? I haven't gotten the v14.2 update but my understanding is that it is available for the asking at the dealerships. Not a recall-yet??

Thanks

Don S

I believe it is now a recall coming out very soon on the stalling issue. A remap of the engine management.

Do you know if this is BMW's response to the NHTSA investigation into the stalling problem, opened last month?...

Kind of hard to see it as a 'response' per se, since they have to have been working on it continuously for some time. Interesting timing, but I have read of others getting the new software installed just prior to the announcement of the NHTSA investigation. Probable they were trying to be as proactive as they can be and solve the issue and avoid the investigation, but there are have been enough complaints filed that the investigation likely would have had to happen even if BMW had found a fix earlier. Certainly the problem is widely publicized and some dealers pulled these models from their floors back in August. So, while I have only experienced mild issues compared to some, I am keeping fingers crossed that this new software really is the answer.

It is my hope as well that this is a valid resolution to the problem at hand however a product and manufacture such as BMW shouldnt have to be threatened by NHTSA to address poor engineering or quality control to resolve valid problems with thier products that can be life threatening.

This behavior pattern of BMW's customer service is what has lead me down a path over the past couple months away from the BMW show room and into the hands of another manufacture. So much to the point that I have sold my BMW in the last week and will be taking delivery of a Concours 14 in the next 2 weeks.
:banghead

...... I have sold my BMW in the last week and will be taking delivery of a Concours 14 in the next 2 weeks.
:banghead

Minor high-jack; did you get the new restyled one that addresses the heat issue and has now been optioned with traction control and heated grips?

Looks real sharp, especially in blue.

I havent purchased the Concours yet although I have some concern of the heat issue on the right side. I spent some seat time on one and it wasnt that big of a deal. There isnt much difference between the 2008 and 10 other than relocated mirrors, some minor fairing revision to address the heat and a little bit bigger windscreen. The biggest difference is there are alot of 2009's floating around that are able to be had for as low as 10400.00! The new 2010 msrp is 14995 and there isnt alot of leeway that dealers are willing to give up. Same power plant, brakes, frame, etc.
My wrist has served me well over the course of 39 years of riding therefore I am not that interested in the traction control and heated grips can be had for 150 bucks.
I think I will sway towards the 2009 and save 4K.............
I will let you know, should be picking one up in the next couple weeks.

Do you believe the v 14.2 software update is the engine management remap recall?? I haven't gotten the v14.2 update but my understanding is that it is available for the asking at the dealerships. Not a recall-yet??

Thanks

Don S

It's either a recall or I think going to be one. The fix may not be a direct response to the NHTSA, but if they are making it a recall, that sounds like a response.

I'm headed over to the dealer today, to pick upanother bike they just finished reworking for us. I'm going to ask them about the v14.2 software...

The way I heard it, BMW will provide the software update and cleaning is not necessary or required (which means they are not going to pay for it).

So, have you heard if BMW is no longer recommending the regular addition of the fuel additive? The 6-pack of Techron was pretty cheap at Costco, so no big deal, but it would be nice not to have to add something to every fillup. My biggest worry with that is getting it on the paint.....

So, have you heard if BMW is no longer recommending the regular addition of the fuel additive? The 6-pack of Techron was pretty cheap at Costco, so no big deal, but it would be nice not to have to add something to every fillup. My biggest worry with that is getting it on the paint.....

No. They have not said that they do no longer recommend it. Just that they are not including it and cleaning the throttle bodies in the fix for stalling. And that the software fix will totally fix the stalling issue regardless of any need for cleaning.

According to my dealer this morning. BMW has just issued an "official" recall on all K1300 motorcycles. It's a quick software update and supposedly even refines a few things making the bike a little smoother. He says no appointment is necessary, just a quick courtesy call to let them know you're on your way.

I haven't had mine done yet, but probably will within the next couple of weeks. I've only had mine for 3 months and it has 6,100 miles on it but SO FAR has never stalled on me (KNOCK ON WOOD!) But now I have to get the update, since it's "official"

I read the recall info. I found it astounding, since it says bad fuel can cause deposits that cause a loss of air at just off idle in stopping situations. So bad fuel and cruddy throttle bodies can now be fixed with a computer adjustment. It sounds like they are going to have to enrichen the map.

It sounds like the map was too lean (Oilhead surging redux, anybody?) and needs to be richer. I wonder of they are doing the recall in Canada?

At least they are now recognizing the issue and moving forward with a fix at the expense of the manufacturer.

Jury is still out..........

The NHTSA investigation undoubtedly forced the acceleration of their announced recall. NHTSA initiated the investigation of the stalling problem in the first week of November, so this is not unexpected.

Back