• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motorcycle Compass

talmadge_w

Anyone out there able to point me to a source for a good magnetic compass to mount on the bike (GS)? I use a GPS but am a little too "old school" to trust totally to a device that has "selective availability" built in AND requires electricity.

Internet search yielded one cruiser model with enough chrome to blind anyone within 1000 meters on a sunny day and nothing else. Sould I be looking at automotive / marine models?

Talmadge

I have a plastic ball compass attached to a suction cup stuck about 5 inches from the top of the inside of the windshield on my R1100RT. It works great. Its sold at Walmart and Target automotive sections for $2.99

Have to agree, check in the auto departments and you'll find many choices. The cheaper ones will probably not have compensation ability so metal near them will throw them off but they will be good enough to give you your general direction or to orient a map. Slightly more money will get you one with compensation adjustablility. Another source that has many choices is Aerostitch/rider wearhouse. They carry plenty for bikes in a range of prices. Two good ones with compensation that are reasonable are the Suunto Pilot and the Moto Compass.

Or one could use the sun, a watch, and/or a map.
I must admit, cloudy nights are a bit of a problem, though.

I've tried several of the $3 round compasses and they never were true North and they were significantly affected by engine interference. I then got extravagant and spent $10 on a better compass (from WalMart). It's flat, can hold a battery for night-time viewing if you can push the button with gloves one. Has a small mount that attaches with 2 screws or double-sided tape. I screwed my to the dash between the voltmeter and the clock. It works great!

Thanks Guys! The ones at Aerostitch look promising. Afraid my celestial navigation skills are a little rusty to attempt a sun shot at highway speed (at least without cruise control).

Talmadge

Me too;

I laugh, when I point out my 3$(compass) GPS to others, stuck on my GSA windscreen. Mine works quite well, especially when stopped. Bumpy roads have it excited a lot, however and its hard to read on those less than smooth roads. Pretty good for whats invested. Gets R Done:)....Pep Boys and others in the "cheapie" farkles section:) Sometimes the simpler things in life( a compass), just seem so natural, especially on our SO over the top motorbikes, by BMW. I still use 3$ maps too, which NO GPS will give that BIG picture:). The high tech Plastic Maps are very cool, for a few dollars more....I may ride the most expensive m/c on the planet, BUT don't have to spend ALL my money, farkling it to death! Happy Trails, Randy:thumb:usa

Rock-on PolarBear!

I recall, now that you mention it, that the $3 compass was near impossible to read on a road with any bumps - such as expansion joints. The little ball was spinning and bouncing inside the bigger ball.

The expensive compass I now use is relatively stable on all roads - allowing me to see which way I'm going even on a bumpy road.

I use the directions from GoogleMaps, printed out and stuck in the map pocket of my tank bag, as the other half of my "GPS".

I am, horrors!, considering buying a used Garmin 2720. I've found how to make Google Maps talk to it AND how to make Google Maps track it while I'm on the road. That would allow my wonderful wife to know where I am instead of wondering if I ran off the road (like my buddy did last month). But I do not see a GPS replacing my compass or my printed directions. I like the bigger picture they provide.

I have the micro compass from aerostich and stick it in the map case on the tank bag. Works for me! :blah

Thanks Guys! The ones at Aerostitch look promising. Afraid my celestial navigation skills are a little rusty to attempt a sun shot at highway speed (at least without cruise control).

Talmadge

Your desire for a compass has merit. I mounted one (approx. $50) on my R1200RT and it has proven useful on overcast days deep in the Smoky Mountains, while interpreting a map absent of the sun's orientation.

Only caveat is I need the engine turned off for it to read accurately, as elctromagnetic interference is significant once the boxer is humming.

As for GPS, the compass is nice back up should my Garmin throw a hissy fit.

Ride Safe, But Occasionally Take Time To Get Lost! :usa

Last edited:
Wayfinder digital compass

I have been using a Wayfinder digital compass VT 220 on my R1100 RT for over three years and have found it to be very reliable and useful. I found the digital compass at Sears. Below is a link to a website for more information.
http://www.wayfindercompass.com/wayfinder.asp

I used many magnetic compasses and replaced them each year. The Wayfinder digital compass mounts easily, is back lighted for night time and is very accurate. The Wayfinder compass works all the time. You just need a good battery in the unit. Looks like Amazon.com has these for $15.50.

I also have a Trial Drop digital compass, thermometer and clock that comes in handy.
Below is a website that gives you a good look at the product. I bought mine at a Gander Mountain store.
http://www.livesciencestore.com/57994.html

Oh MY, GPS Failure?

What to do? Well, my compass has been pretty faithful for a lot of miles, BUT. The SUN and Moon/Stars make really good directional devices too:). I had to take the course for sailing offshore:). A neat backup, when all else fails and works EVERYWHERE on the planet, NO cost/free:) Randy:thumb:usa

I carry a compass almost everywhere I go. It is in my Timex Expedition watch. After calibration, it is pretty accurate. Since it is an indeglo watch, I can see it in the dark as well.
Of course, it seems that I am in a growing minority of those who actually still wear a wristwatch. Most folks seem to use their cellphone as their timekeeping piece. If you have a newer I-Phone and need a compass... well - "There's an app for that."

Go to one of the hunting stores in your area like Cabela's or Bass Pro....been hunting in Colo. and my compass brought me right back to camp. Boy Scouts have a good one.

Back