• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

K1300GT Seized Rear Brake

E

EW1952

Just wondering if anybody has had a problem with the rear brake seizing on the k1300gt ?

no, I have just over 2000 miles on my gt. no problems other than my info and my four way switches stopped working, apparently bmw is having huge problem with the redisigned switches, national and worldwide backorder. I haven't had to panic stop yet, and when I do apply brakes I'm 50/50 front and rear. maybe yours is an abs issue??:type

Seized rear brake

Thanks for the reply the switch for the windshield did not work on my gt a couple of times. will give the bike another ride today to see if there are anymore brake problems. It is kind of a hassle as the closest dealer is about 700 km's away and this takes a bit of planning thanks for your reply ED

Did you adjust the foot pedal height?
I'm not familiar with the GT, but on my earlier K when you adjust the foot pedal you must also adjust where the pedal contacts the plunger on the master cylinder.
If you lowered the pedal, you may pe partially applying the brake.

Rear brake drag...yup

I have a K1300GT and I know exactly what you mean, and I know how I did it too.
I was caught in traffic with no way out. When I finally made it to the light, I was beginning to feel a bit fatigued from standing in traffic with 600+ lbs of dead weight between my legs.
Finally, a green light. I started to pull away from the light and it felt like I was pulling a boat. I made it through the intersection in first gear and was looking for a place to pull out of traffic when the rear brake let go. It dragged for about a hundred yards or so.
I did manage to duplicate this rear brake anomaly a few times. What you do is sit heavy on the rear brake. Then with the pressure still on the rear brake, you apply the front brake, then release the rear. Now when you release the front brake, the rear brake will not release.
I don't know if this is just a glitch in the "partially integral brake" design or not. It sure sounds like one.
It is rare that I would manipulate the brakes in such a manner as I did that day I was stuck in traffic, so I just never gave it a second thought.
Hope this freaks ya out...err...I mean helps.

Dug this post up because today I had the same issue coming off the highway.

The rear brake pedal was locked up tight and i am on the side of the road in the rain......

Wasnot riding the brake - that I know of

Out of desperation i cracked the rear brake line and was able to drive home.

by the time I got home (5 miles) the rear brake lever was very tight.

This is prorably to the brake fluid boiling.

Any one else lucky?

Last edited:
So the possibilities are...If you have the rear lock up, can you let it sit and it will eventually unlock itself? If it's boiling brake fluid, that would probably be the case, as once the fluid cools and goes back into solution, the system pressure will ease. On the other hand, if its an issue with the electronics (partial integration, etc.), then maybe cycling the electronics system would free it. Or, in desperation as SF mentions, you crack the line and let the fluid/pressure drain, then the calipers will back off. A little harsh, but when you're stuck on the highway in the rain, certainly an understandable solution of last resort...

I've not had it happen, and I rode my GT in some pretty hot weather last fall, on numerous occasions in very slow traffic (4-way stop near the home), doing the rear brake drag/throttle technique to stay balanced. Also had it up in the mountains, doing some hard runs in the corners, using a lot of pre-corner braking and not had an issue. Hmmm, think I'll have them flush the lines since they've got it in for a new alternator anyway...

Let the bike sit for a while - also dealing with a leaking hot water tank - monster monday:banghead

anyway took the caliper off and was able to push the pads back with no issue.

Also had no issue with with moving the caliper on the slides.

Have full lever travel.

The pads are a little glazed over (due to heat) and the inner disc mount have a nice patena - will proably drain and replace the final drive fluid just as a precaution.

As stupid as i am i will try to road test later. :brow

Dealer is closed on Mondays so I will call tomorrow.

Keep us posted on this one. Oh, we just replaced out hot water tank as well...before it went out on us, fortunately! I feel your pain...

Good luck!

Road test went fine - i am at a loss.

Will call Max tomorrow and see what Tom says.

Need to get the <!> fixed anyways :bolt

Tends to argue for either the electronic glitch or the fluid boiling. How about holding your GT over an open flame and see if the fluid boils...:)

If you asked me that when I was on the side of the road this morning I would probably give you a different answer :)

If the lock-up were caused by an intermittant ABS glitch, wouldn't turning the ignition off and on clear it?
My electronics experience does not include the workings of the BMW ABS, but I had assumed that the braking force at the rear was pedal pressure boosted or bypassed by servo action in the control unit.
If that is the case, wouldn't ignition-off give you pedal braking only?

OK - dealer looked at it - no issues noted.

Checked all the parts hoses tubing - all ok

Bled the rear brake - a little air.

Was that air I let in when I cracked the line - who knows.

All is well - it's like it never happened.....:lurk

Bizarre. Maybe you caught some crap in the rotor/calipers that made it stick...or possibly it was the aliens...

I just had this happen to me. In the middle of nowhere and I get a flat tire.. I braked pretty hard but the abs didn't feel like it kicked in but maybe. Fix flat, air up tire and tried to leave and it struggled so I pulled over immediately. I think I got to third gear before I figured some thing was really wrong. When I pulled off the first time and stopped the bike I didn't turn the key off because I was using the pressure gauge on the display. When I got off the second time knowing something was wrong I remembered this thread.. I turned the key off and there was a click from the rear and the bike settled backward because of the incline. Problem gone, went on my merry way. Just turning off the key was enough to fix my problem.

One thing you may want check or do is bleed the rear brake.

When the dealer did it when I brought it in they got a few air bubbles out of it.

Back