• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Closing Ceremonies, How big a deal

charleetho

This is my first rally.

We just had layoffs here at work. Good news, I made the cut.

The boss says she needs me in Dallas TX on Monday morning (7/20) to work with a client. This means a 950 mile day from Johnson City to Dallas on Sunday. I have done several IB rides and I know this is very doable, but tiring.

I am considering getting a start on Sat afternoon and breaking it up in to 1-1/2 days. But I don't want to miss Sat night at the rally. How much will I be missing. I could be on the road at 6am on Sunday but I will be looking at a 16+ hour day in the saddle.

Another question.

I have a hotel booked for the rally but reading other posts I think I am going to camp instead. How about eating at the campsite? Pleanty of vendor food or do you cook?

TIA for your advice.

The closing is an event that is endless. Some of the door prizes are only for those who have stayed. If my job depended on being 1000 miles away, I wouldn't hesitate on missing the closing.

We camping and hoteling it so I'm no help on that. As for food, each of the nationals I've been to have had food vendors. Fair type of food but food. It doesn't look too far from the location to have plenty of choices. Now, finding good BBQ may be an issue. I understand that that part of the country uses mustard base for their sauces.......

the closing ceremonies are a snooze.

it's the party in the beer tent afterwards that's worth staying for. :dance

ian

Now, finding good BBQ may be an issue. I understand that that part of the country uses mustard base for their sauces.......

wrong!

south carolina is mustard.

there are some good vinegar sauces in north carolina. tomato, too.

most of tennessee is tomato based, or a mix of tomato, vinegar and special ingredients.

ian

Welcome to the forum!

I been to two nationals and went to closing ceremonies at both and enjoyed the festivities. Unfortunately wonÔÇÖt make this rally.

I have had Monday as a travel or rest day when I went. Last year included a long hot trip home. Given the scenario you describe I would leave on Saturday. As fun as the closing ceremony may be for you it wouldnÔÇÖt be worth trashing the rest of your rally experience because of a crappy Monday.

Food and other things like showers. I found plenty of food at both rally sites. As in the past, there will be plenty of options to go for a ride and dine at this one; take advantage of them too.

Get on 'rally time right away'. Be flexible in your timing for eating and showers and you will have no problem with lines. For example you may shower in the morning at home but an afternoon shower is a great way to refresh yourself at a rally. Cook if you want to but you donÔÇÖt need to. If you are a java junkie bring enough to keep up your habit in addition to what is available on site. A cup, jet boil and purchase of a small can of coffee when you get there is more than enough.

Camping at the rally site is the way to go. It gives you a place to rest during the day and access to all the varied night life a rally has to offer.

You can leave Saturday after the ceremonies, and get in a couple hundred.
It should make the next day bearable.
I picked my stop and reserved a hotel room, so when we got there saturday evening, we just checked in and slept.

Thanks guys!

I cancelled my Hotel reservations for during the rally. (only reason I booked it was for the girl friend who now unfortunately can't get the time off from work. :( )

I think the plan will be pack it up Saturday am. Hang for most of the activities and head out 3-4 hours before sunset. Get up early Sun and try to beat some of the heat.

Thanks again!

Roy's right;

I think i would go "after" the ceremonies, ride 200m and get a room. The ceremonies are great some years, so so others. Some have entertainment, some don't! Been to ALL of the closing ceremonies, the 21 Nationals I've been to. The entertainment at closing ceremonies have been pretty good, from locals. Being Blue Grass is in fashion back there(forever), I would guess(hope) maybe a little of it at the ceremonies:). Randy:usa:dance

I have the bike all packed and ready and leave right after the prize announcements. By midnight I'm flopped in a motel 200 miles down the road, get a good nights sleep and a relaxed ride on Sunday. Works great.

I have NEVER understood the awards ceremony part of the closing ceramony.

Does anyone really care who's the "_________" (insert your obscure title here)?

Oldest sidecar rider
Youngest passenger
Rider that rode with a pet

The only reason people go to these is to be held hostage for the door prizes.

This is my first rally.

We just had layoffs here at work. Good news, I made the cut.

The boss says she needs me in Dallas TX on Monday morning (7/20) to work with a client. This means a 950 mile day from Johnson City to Dallas on Sunday. I have done several IB rides and I know this is very doable, but tiring.

I am considering getting a start on Sat afternoon and breaking it up in to 1-1/2 days. But I don't want to miss Sat night at the rally. How much will I be missing. I could be on the road at 6am on Sunday but I will be looking at a 16+ hour day in the saddle.

Another question.

I have a hotel booked for the rally but reading other posts I think I am going to camp instead. How about eating at the campsite? Pleanty of vendor food or do you cook?

TIA for your advice.

As always YMMV.

Friday is the best party night of the rally. Saturday is a good party night for the folks that have been working all week except many are too tired to dance. THANKS FOLKS!

The closing ceremonies can be great or they can be a disaster, especially if the sound system craps out on the MC. :laugh They can be nice and tight and come in around 60 minutes or they can be horrendous and last 120.

As far as prizes if it is a MOA prize you do not have to be present to win, if it is vendor provided it is the vendor's choice.

I'd say do what you need to do to be fresh Monday morning. The 200 after the closing isn't a bad plan but still leaves you almost 800 to go, even at IB pace you'll have a 12hr day.

On my documented rides a really quick overall rate of advance is 65mph is fast, average is 60 which his still quick over 24hrs. Over the course of the Iron Butt rally the average is around 45.

Unless you do this sort of thing all the time I suggest you allocate 14 hrs for 800 including stops etc.

You also mentioned being spared form lay-offs and being in a client meeting Monday morning. I would give this a heavy factor in my decision. I would want to totally ace the meeting which for me means getting a nice dinner and good night's rest Sunday.

If you get on the road right after the ceremony you'll have around 22 hrs to go 950 miles if you want to be there by 6pm. Let's say you want six hours of sleep (7hrs off the bike then) so you have 15 hrs to go the 950 *assuming* you want to be there by 6. that's an average of 64 which is very quick (faster than Bun Burner Gold pace)

Bottom line is with no planned rest the average rider will likely take approximately 18.5 hrs to complete 950. Add in whatever you want for sleep and that is your total time.

It all comes down to how you think you'll feel Monday morning if you knock out 950 after 8pm Saturday.

FWIW, I have to be bright and happy in my office Monday morning. Rather than do a forced march on the slab I'm going to leave Saturday morning (right after I put Greg Feeler in the dunk tank) and enjoy back roads Saturday, hotel Sat night and slab Sunday.

As always YMMV. For me the bottom line is nothing at the rally after noon Saturday would worth not being on my game for the client Monday morning.

Closing ceremonies

Leave early!!

If you want to party, stay. If you have a low tolerance for trivial BS and self-praise, LEAVE!
Most closing ceremonies start out as a well intentioned "thank you" to the committee, but soon get hijacked by some well meaning windbag that thinks you want to hear the name and bio of everyone in attendance and what major contribution they made. It is also a forum to recognize all the oldest, youngest, biggest, littlest, farthest, closest, and any other category that strikes their fancy.

I know that a lot of people worked hard to make te rallies a success and get some degree of satisfaction on being recognized, but enough is enough.

I choose to appoint a proxy to claim my prizes and skip the ceremony and go directly to the beer tent.

I'll be booting it out of there immediately after the closing ceremonies. Home is 2500 miles away and I need to be at work on Tuesday morning.

Two years ago, we departed WI after the ceremonies, covered a couple hundred miles and got a hotel room. We were home on Monday afternoon, with time to do some laundry before work on Tuesday.

TN is a couple hundred miles further from home than West Bend was, but I think we'll be able to accomplish this without much trouble.

we'll be in the car. in the west, we can maintain a 75mph avg. speed pretty easily.

Very cool KBasa:)

I like the fine print:). At least you're honest about your cage:). You know, many have a point about the praise laid out on nearly everyone casting a shadow in the 'MOA...It drags out(closing ceremonies) and can be done via the BMW'ON too, with a very fine written article with pictures. Some really cool entertainment thrown in would be a real nice boredom breaker at these events. Speed is the key, so maybe a GANG 'MOA thank you, all at once would get r done. Maybe? Put on a really great show and we get more enthused....Just thoughts, Randy PS; I still do every closing ceremony, its just in me to see it happen and the rally end. :thumb:usa

...You know, many have a point about the praise laid out on nearly everyone casting a shadow in the 'MOA...It drags out(closing ceremonies) and can be done via the BMW'ON too, with a very fine written article with pictures. Some really cool entertainment thrown in would be a real nice boredom breaker at these events. Speed is the key, so maybe a GANG 'MOA thank you, all at once would get r done. Maybe? Put on a really great show and we get more enthused....Just thoughts, Randy PS; I still do every closing ceremony, its just in me to see it happen and the rally end. :thumb:usa

this is my point exactly and thanks for making it, randy.

we have our most involved and members sitting together, paying rapt attention. and we use that valuable time to put them to sleep with endless statistics? :snore

while i certainly understand the need to recognize people and their achievements, there are other ways, ranging from a large graphics display that shows pics of the people and the T&A they won, to listings in the magazine.

to me, the closing ceremonies should be a show that culminates the whole experience of going to this rally and if we did that, we'd give people even more for their money than we already do. :nod

ian

(either that, or bring back the Stoner girls.... :p)

I think it should be a closing celebration. Save the best entertainment for the last night. Have a song, give an award. Have another song, draw a door prize., etc. It would be fun, people would not fall asleep or avoid it and the awards/presentations would be given out with people paying attention.

Well I decided to miss most of Saturday.

Looking at Streets and Trips (does anybody else do this when they are supposed to be working? :p ) for a place to stop Sat evening on the way to Dallas. Hmmm... Nashville, hmmm... What's this... Natchez Trace...

New plan. Leave the rally early Sat am., I-40 to Nashville to the Trace. Down the NT to Tupelo for Sat night. Sun am on the Trace to Jackson then b-line to Dallas via I-20.

As usual I try to put in too much for one trip! :dance

Highlights for this trip will be besides the rally

Arkansas Ozarks
Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum
Tail of the Dragon and several other legendary roads in E. Tennessee
Northern half of Natchez Trace
Meet HD buddy in Dallas for the ride home to Denver.

Heat

Dont forget the heat. It is going to be well into the 100's with heat index well above 100.
Makes for hard riding.

Be prepaired.

I gave up on closing ceremonies some time ago. The never ending platitudes of the oldest bike not ridden to the rally and the youngest infant brought make me sick.

Back