• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How to use a bike jack

A

asaint

Hi all,

I'm puzzled by how to use a bike jack to remove the rear tire. If I have the bike jacked up, the bike is balanced from nose to tail. However, when I remove the rear tire, the bike will be unbalanced and nose forward (I assume) off the jack.

How do I remove the rear tire and not have the bike become unbalanced?

peace,
Asaint

Airhead,

Can you elaborate on that? The jack manual has you strap the tiedowns Across the bike with each end of the tiedown attaching to the lift.

The problem with this is;

1. Not much of a safety feature, bike can still tip
2. The lower fairings of my 100rt get in the way
3. Doesn't help for front to back balance (ala - remove the back tire).

I must be missing something simple here.

Thanks
Asaint

I had a similar jack i used on my Valkyrie - big pig of a bike

I would strap around the forks and shocks to the frame of the jack.

Held it well - the only issue i had was proper placement around the side stand.

If there are still safety concerns you can put a scissor jack up under the front wheel to eliminate tipping.

Not to be facetious but if you are only removing the back wheel you can use your centerstand - I am assuming your bike has one.

Semper,

To remove the rear brake master cylinder on this bike, the rear wheel not only has to be removed, but rolled away from the bike. The centerstand doesn't even come close as the rear wheel well descends behind the rear wheel.

In thinking this through, I'll need to figure out a way to do 4 point straps - 2 from the front of the bike, and 2 from the rear all attaching to the jack.

peace,
asaint

Thanks for the information.

Regarding your strap down requirements, how about 2 sheets of plywood (4 x8) stacked on top of each other and put an eye hook in each corner.

Wheel the bike into position, put the jack under it - lift up and then tether the bike to the corners, finish lifting up the bike to the neccesary height and then add tension to the straps to support the bike as you work on it.

Just throwing stuff out there.

Semper,

That sounds like a great idea. Cheap, simple. hmmm.. wait.

The jack would then not be flat on the ground. The end under the bike would be elevated above the back end of the jack which would be on the garage floor. Not certain that would be stable?? Anyone try this?

asaint

ok,

Found a picture of 4-point tie down. Posting it below. This may do the trick. If not, I'll buy some plywood and try that.

Attachments

• 0403hrb_06z+Harley_Davidson+Full_Right_Side_View.jpg
    0403hrb_06z+Harley_Davidson+Full_Right_Side_View.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 324
One way to get at the rear wheel with little clearance when on the center stand is to "kneel" the bike. Remove the front wheel and reinsert the axle. Tie a strap around the axle and the center stand. Now, very carefully, tip the bike onto the lower ends of the exposed forks. Having the gas tank off might be a good idea.

I've never tried this, but this is supposed to be a way of accessing the rear tire when on the road an you need to fix a flat or something like that.

It's not a pretty picture, and I'm wondering about the overall stability.

The picture is for a Harley, which has exposed frame for a small lift to access. On an Airhead, this is not the case. It is likely people have wound up picking theirs up by exhaust and/or fairing, with disastrous results.

For this reason amongst others I wound up with a platform garage lift.

For just a basic tire removal, with stock centerstand, I have removed axle and dropped wheel out of splines. Then with left hand I tilt bike to right, with ever so slight backwards pressure to keep stand from springing up, and pull wheel with right hand. Bike now rests on front wheel.

If I am to leave bike this way, or am doing something like a spline lube where you dont want bike tilting back, I simply use a cheap auto scissor lift under the frane crossmember which is near the swing arm axis, and force front wheel to the ground.

I am wondering where the jack is making contact with the bike. On most Airheads the exhaust and oil pan are lower than the frame. this would cause some issues trying to jack up the bike as neither is really strong enough to jack the bike up on reliably. Have you made some sort of support that would sit on the jack and then line up with the frame?

Semper,

That sounds like a great idea. Cheap, simple. hmmm.. wait.

The jack would then not be flat on the ground.

The jack would be on top of the plywood - the weight of the plywood/jack/bike would keep it flat. I don't see an issue with the jack on the wood.

The end under the bike would be elevated above the back end of the jack which would be on the garage floor.

Follow my visual - the plywood is on the ground you drive onto it long ways, so the bike is centered on the 8' side. This leaves you the 4' side to work the jack under and then do your tie offs at the corners. I think it would work.

After I traded in the Valkyrie and got the Goldwing, i replaced the bike jack and got a drive on ramp that has a removal back plate to drop the rear wheel - highly recommend it if you do your own servicing.

Would be interested to know what out come ends up being.

One way to get at the rear wheel with little clearance when on the center stand is to "kneel" the bike. Remove the front wheel and reinsert the axle. Tie a strap around the axle and the center stand. Now, very carefully, tip the bike onto the lower ends of the exposed forks. Having the gas tank off might be a good idea.

I've never tried this, but this is supposed to be a way of accessing the rear tire when on the road an you need to fix a flat or something like that.

It's not a pretty picture, and I'm wondering about the overall stability.

My brother - a long time R80RT owner - told me that's how we removed his rear wheel. I am not fond of the idea of having to remove my front wheel to change my rear tire. They don't always wear out at the same time.

As mentioned above, you will need to fabricate a method to lift the bike by the frame. That may not solve the balance problem.

Once the rear wheel is removed, it may want to tilt forward. I would put a solid support (milk crate, concrete block, etc.) just below the height of the front tire. When you remove the rear tire, it will rest on the support.

I think it is worthwhile to invest in a platform type lift if you will do much wrenching. It makes a world of difference. If you search the forums for "motorcycle lift", you will find lots of discussion on the subject. I built mine out of materials available at any home improvement store. It cost me about $110 and an afternoon of work. But if you watch for sales, you can pick up a ready-to-use steel lift for a reasonable price.

Shire,

I use short lengths of 2x4's across the jack and jack the bike up using the oilpan. This works fine but aggrevates the "tippy'ness" of the bike. My hope is the 4 point straps will greatly reduce this.

Semper,

I get what you are suggesting. Yes, actually, that would work, is simple, cheap and will keep the bike from moving.

ok, I'll need to borrow my neighbor's SUV but will pickup some plywood and give this a try. Will post pics once I have it setup.

Thanks.

Jforgo,

Isn't the oilpan the jackpoint on an R100RT? It seems real solid. I don't see what else I can use as a jack point.

Asaint

Jforgo,

Isn't the oilpan the jackpoint on an R100RT? It seems real solid. I don't see what else I can use as a jack point.

Asaint

i use a platform, or do a trick with the centerstand, as described in prior post. maybe I am being too conservative about the pan? Then again, a lot of GS people get guards for this...

Back