• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Helmets with air vents

Rudyjo

Dale Rudolph
I am thinking of getting a new helmet and have never had one with the adjustable
air vents. Any positive or negitive thoughts from those who have them? Thanks for any input.

Have had all Nolan models,100E, 102 and now a 103( no long rides in it yet and the vents are different) and a Caberg...If they vent ,I cannot tell a diff.It feels good opening them but I personally cannot feel the flow...I wear a wicking stocking cap so maybe that stops any sensation.

That's my story

The vents on my Arai Quantum II are great. You can feel the airflow and if I forget them in the closed position, my head will itch and sweat. Opening them solves the problem quickly. It also has vents on the visor and chin.

The vents on my Scorpion EXO-700 are excellent. "Adjustable" is too subtle if you ask me. Either open them or not. Need less airflow? Don't open all of them.

The vents on my Scorpion EXO-700 are excellent. "Adjustable" is too subtle if you ask me. Either open them or not. Need less airflow? Don't open all of them.
The word "adjustable" threw me a little, too. If you're just asking about helmets that ventilate well, my Shoei X-11 vents very well. One vent up top, and one vent down low. Opens and closes on the front and the back.

I have an HJC FS10. It does not vent well in my opinion.

We both are on our second Arai helmets, mine's a "Profile" and hers is a "Vector".
Both are well vented, and don't get sweaty or smelly inside even during all-day rides in our hot western summers.
The only issue or inconvenience to the vents is cleaning bugs out. Q-tips & toothpicks work.

I find that air flow is directly propotional to where my windscreen is set at.

With the shield set to have the air stream hit me around the forehead the vents work well (Nolan 102).

If i have the screen up so the air goes over my head - the vents do work to well as there is not to much air flow in the pocket behind the screen.

YMMV

If you stand around for a bit with your helmet on and get a little hot and sweaty .... well, this is the best time to notice the venting, i.e. when you then start riding.

Arai Vector

I can't tell you how many helmets I've had over the years, but the Arai Vector is the best ventilated of all of them. If I accidentally leave the vents open on a cold morning, I actually have to close them for comfort.

This is so cool

hx06cg787.jpg

I love this thing. Darth Rider.

Shoei X-11

Getting a little dated....but VERY satisfied with airflow (& quietness) of my Shoei X-11!!

Yes.....it get's a little warm down here! (but at least it's a wet heat!):laugh

In the desert SW, vented helmets distinguish themselves. I have Shoei X11 and RF1000, and an Arai Quantum II. They all vent enough to sense good air flow. The most notable flow comes with the X11, yet, it is as quiet as the others. But, sealing all those air ports in cold weather is also important. All three of the aforementioned are excellent in that regard.

Good quality helmets do not transfer heat, regardless of color, to the degree of older models. This, I presume, is a measure of the quality of the foam liner. I've placed thermometers under white and black Shoei RF1000 while in direct sunlight for 15 mintues at 110 degrees. No temperature increase difference between the two. I believe the Arai would perform in similar fashion.

If riding in hot areas during the summer, it is a good practice to rotate helmet useage to preclude a permeable stench. Having removable liners, ala Quantum II and X-11 is an important feature. The liners can be handwashed and any accumulation of sweat and/or oils removed. Motorex Helmet Care can refreshen helmet liners, too, by simply spraying the liner, let sit and wipe clean.

MOA9900, IBA, NRA
nuff said

Back