• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Servo-assisted brakes

In the June, '01, Cycle World, Don Canet, professional test rider and veteran of thousands of U-turns for photo shoots, dumped the 1150RT in the middle of a U-turn, because he "feathered" the rear brake.
Maybe the RT he was riding had fully linked brakes. The RT had fully linked brakes for a couple years, but I don't remember what years. Maybe someone who knows will chime in. When the brakes are fully linked, both the front and rear brakes are applied when the rear pedal is pressed. Same when using the front lever, both brakes will be applied.
Most of the BMWs after a few years went to partially linked brakes. That's what we had on our K1200RSs and now on our K1300Ss. On the partially linked brakes if you press the rear brake pedal, only the rear brake is applied. Pressing the front lever will apply both brakes. You will also see the linked brakes referred to as Part Integral and Full Integral.
We had servo brakes on our K1200RSs and do not have them on the K1300Ss. The servo brakes worked good and it only took a couple rides for both of us to get used to them. Given the choice I would prefer to not have servo brakes because of the extra maintenance involved.

I did a Google search for the RT and it looks like he R1150RT had Full Integral brakes in 2002, 2003, and 2004. In 2005 the R1200RT came equipped with Part Integral brakes

Last edited:
Back