• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Suggestions for which protective gear for a long trip

tvgal2000

I love to lurk!
I'm planning on going to the National Rally in July and am taking the 'long way round'. I'm going from Milwaukee, WI around the Great Lakes through Canada and then southbound through VT/NY/PA/WV and finally TN.
Since the weather will range from daytime highs of 70 - 90 F and although I limit my nighttime riding, the evening temps will be from the 60's to the 80's. I've got a Roadcrafter 'Stich for the cooler temps and have a Firstgear mesh jacket (with a rain liner) and Icon mesh pants (no liner) for the hotter temps.
Any thoughts on which to wear? I'll be camping along the way so that may be a consideration also. I can't decide and am looking for any helpful input!
Thanks in advance!:wave

It is a constant problem with me. I can never decide which gear to take and sometimes end up taking two complete sets, though that severely limits what else I can take.

I think if you are looking at 60 degrees for the low, I'd take the mesh. You might see if you can find a pair of liner pants and you can layer up as need be. An old sage used to say, "you can always put on more clothes but you can only get so naked." I've been known to run my electric jacket under a liner and my mesh jacket on cold mornings and nothing but underwear under it in the afternoon.

John

I just got back from a trip to Red River, NM. Average temps there are from mid-30s to mid 70-s. Here in South Texas, we had temps as high as 107 near Van Horn on the outbound leg, and 103 in Sweetwater inbound. I used First Gear Air mesh pants and a Cortec GX Air mesh jacket. Each has waterproof liners. I wore shorts under the pants with no liners in Texas. In NM I wore the liners in pants and jackets in the AM, with jeans and layers.....then peeled off liners and layers as needed. Left Red River on Wednesday morning....36 degrees. Layers on, liners in, heated grips and seats on. 30 minutes later, down 2000ft in elevation, began to peal off layers/liners. Got to Sweetwater by the evening, it was 103 and I was wishing for a repeat of the rain shower we hit West of Lubbock. Mesh with layers and liners has worked very well for me.

I've carried both too,BUT;

Its a challenge packing two suits anywhere. Maybe a second coat only(mesh) makes it a little easier. I try to always wear my Kilimanjaro or new Olympia AXT, both are my main travel jackets anywhere, even Summer and can be worn to near 90+ outside, but come off quickly at stops! Wearing only the most basic T underneath and wetting it for evap cooling if needed. Works pretty good. I'll probably leave my second mesh jacket home this trip and shed the heavy jacket if need be, for long sleeve shirt. No protection, I know! I have a month on the road and its hard on gear, packing it every day. Randy

Seems the mesh gear would be the most flexible, as already mentioned, you can add some layers when needed. The liner in the jacket, plus a long sleeve t-shirt will go a long way, and a pair of rain pants over the mesh pants work well at blocking the colder air, too. The tight exercise pants, like what runners wear are easy to pack and help with cooler temps as well. I wear mine over compression shorts (bicycle shorts) and can peel them off as the temps rise.

Have a safe ride down!

Well boys, I'm heading down thru Texas to NM and on north to CO next month and I'm wearing my full Darian suit! Might be a bit warm, but I need to loose a bit of weight (lol). I plan on making lots of stops for water and G2. I'm sure Texas will be lovely. Mesh gear will be my Christmas gift this coming year.

Mesh for sure. Leave the Stich at home. I'm getting more concerned about the heat & humidity as July nears. Then again, there are those that will say mesh allows dehydration sooner. Oh well..:scratch

No, you actually will dehydrate less since you are cooling yourself. Wrapped in a stitch your body will work overtime sweating harder in order to cool itself.

The rub is people FEEL cooler and don't drink and that's when they dehydrate.

Take it from someone who raced bicycles for years. Hydrate whether you think you need it or not. I'd rather drink a lot and have to stop every 100 miles for a "break" than drop of heat stroke...

Olympia GT Air

I'm leaving next Wednesday on a long trip (not going to the Rally). I'm taking my Olympia GT Air All Season Mesh 2 piece. It has a rain liner for the jacket, a quilted liner for the jacket and pants. I'm good in hot and cold (down to about 40 degrees). I'm also taking a evaporating vest if I get in a real hot situation.

Voni and I travel all summer. Daytime riding temps range from the 30s to the 100s depending on route and luck.

I have a two-piece Aerostich Roadcrafter and Mesh gear too. And other stuff. For our long road trips I take the two-piece Roadcrafter and my vented/mesh pants. I wear the Roadcrafter jacket all the time, and choose either the Roadcrafter pants or the vented/mesh pants depending upon temperature and precipitation. I have done this combination for several years and it works pretty well.

The outer gear is supplemented with a heated jacket liner and light windstopper jacket liner. I also carry an evaporative vest. In really hot weather I wear a wet flannel shirt and the evap. vest. The wet shirt sleeves route cooling air up the arms pretty well.

Thanks

Thanks for all the suggestions! All the ideas lean towards the mesh and Paul, thanks for reminding me about a heated liner - I forgot that I had that! (It was 94 degrees with about 200% humidity today -- last week Milwaukee's highs were in the 60's!)

I think that I'll wear the mesh stuff, bring the liner and some athletic pants that are snug as a layer for the cooler temps. I really appreciate all the feedback! I'm looking forward to meeting those of you who will be at the rally! :brow

Sarah

Back