• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

RainX question....

vectorprime27

Okay...pardon the ignorance, but is it okay to use RainX on the windshield of my K1200LT? I know it works great on glass, but I'm not willing to put it on the windshield (which isn't glass) until I've gotten some feedback from the collective wisdom of the group. Anyone else using RainX on their bikes?

:bikes

quick answer is no, per the warnings. It's not recommended for acrylics...I will update this post when I remember what we do use...good for visors and windshields...sold at our local dealer. Other products listed in this thread are good...I use Plexus as well, but this product I mention acts a lot like rain-x but is made for acrylics

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?p=459348#post459348

Last edited:
I've been using Rejex for about a year. It's designed for aircraft windshields and does a great job of polishing and providing a slippery surface so bugs don't stick as easily.

A year or so ago I got a sample of a product called "Raincoat" which was touted to work like RainX but formulated for plastic. http://www.motosolutions.com/raincoat.html

I intended to write a review of it for ON so I cleaned my bike shield and helmet shield and applied Raincoat to one half of each shield and went for a ride in the rain.

I couldn't tell any difference in the way the water shed off the treated side versus the untreated side. I should mention, of course, that I had used Plexus to clean the shields before the Raincoat application and that may explain why I didn't see any improvement. But if that's the case and since I always use Plexus anyway the Raincoat didn't do it for me. And I didn't write the review.

Till now.:)

John

Okay...pardon the ignorance, but is it okay to use RainX on the windshield of my K1200LT? I know it works great on glass, but I'm not willing to put it on the windshield (which isn't glass) until I've gotten some feedback from the collective wisdom of the group. Anyone else using RainX on their bikes?

:bikes

I've used it on bike windscreens and faceshields, despite the warnings. It works okay and does no immediate damage, but I didn't consider it to be worth the effort. I also don't care for it on glass. YMMV.

Meguiar's makes a great three-part cleaner/restorer for motorcycle windshields, faceshields, etc. (also works great on convertible top clear vinyl windows.)

meguiars_10.gif

The #10 polish is the deep cleaner, restorer. Gets rid of scratches, swirls and fogging.

meguiars_17.gif

The #17 cleaner follows up on the #10 and makes the screen look brand new.

meguiars_18.gif

The #18 is the maintenance polish/cleaner, keeps it looking new, keeps water beading and rolling right off, and makes it much easier to remove bugs. Also comes in a smaller spray bottle that fits nicely in a tank bag.

Hot water;

Good hot water on a rag cleans bugs off quite nice, too:). I use Honda Cleaner in a spray can. I did the RainX once on a KLT and got quite WET from the rain slipping around my windscreen. All that rain slides so much easier around the shield with that stuff on there:(. I did not like it. Randy,,,PS;works really good on a car, however:). :usa

Clearview says Rain-X is OK for their shields too. I use it on my faceshields , and my van and truck. I especially like to have it on my mirrors. That's pretty handy.

Back