• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

locks? Theft deterrent or waste of time/money?

barooo

I have a K75 I'm going to be parking on the street in Chicago. This isn't ideal, but I think it'll work. My plan was to cover the bike with a ratty old cover, and just hope that the fact that it's an older bike that isn't a japanese sportbike or a harley will be enough of a deterrent.

Anyone suggest a lock? I don't think it'd be feasible to lock it to something, and I'm not even certain that's legal. But would a U-lock or some sort of specialized lock help improve my odds? And if so, anyone recommend a particular model?

I'm going to look for a garage spot to rent (my condo has no parking), but it may be a while before I find something. In the winter I have a friend in the suburbs that'll let me store the bike there.

Mine sits unmolested in the middle of beautiful downtown Dayton Oh 9-5 every day.
Old beemers seem to have built in anti-theft properties. The ratty cover is a good
idea, and don't leave anything of value under the seat or in the bags. Maybe take off
the bags. Don't lock the seat or bags, just something else you'll have to fix. Disc locks
are effective and compact. Vandalism will probably be you biggest problem, anything
from keying the tank to torching it. Good luck!

It is said and I believe a lock only keeps an honest man honest. But a lock also make a lazy thief look for a easier target .Lock her with everything you can would be my suggestion. Make them want to go to the next bike or car.

The old cover sounds good also. Hope you find parking.
:wave
R and R

Once the sun gets over the yardarm folks from Boston, NYC and the rest of the right coast megalopolis should be able to offer suggestions.

Once the sun gets over the yardarm folks from Boston, NYC and the rest of the right coast megalopolis should be able to offer suggestions.

yeah, no forum before 8am for me :)

a kryptonite u lock or disc lock couldn't hurt, they take a second to put on and are another visible form of deterrent.

I think locks make sense. I mean who wants to lift a BMW? I had a sturdy plastic covered chain/lock as well, and wrapped it around the rear wheel and center stand.

I just bought a heavy duty cable type lock. I plan on putting it around the front tire and the center stand so the bike cannot be taken off the center stand. If you put it around the back tire, you can still take it off the center stand. A profession thief might be able to cut the cable (25mm dia) but most will not. And the GSA is a bit much for the average thief to pick up and carry while it is still on the center stand. I'm not sure yet, but I think it will be difficult to take the front tire off so you could get the center stand down.

If you were raised by wolves and killed a b'ar when you were 3, nobody's gonna mess
with your scooter. But why the wussy little girly K75?

If you were raised by wolves and killed a b'ar when you were 3, nobody's gonna mess
with your scooter. But why the wussy little girly K75?

LOL. I've gotten a decent amount of gruff over the way the bike sounds from my harley-riding friend, I think "giggling" was the description... But I like it. Smooth, clean lines, and bulletproof. And it fits the budget and the immediate needs. Down the road I plan to get an R1200GS.

Locks, even big locks, are delaying tactics at best. There was a You Tube video a year or two ago that showed a dozen of the biggest ones I've seen cut to pieces in a matter of seconds. I went looking but couldn't find the link.

It wouldn't stop me from locking the bike, but it did stop me from paying big bucks for a cable lock.

I have a K75, live and work in NYC and never use a lock when I street park (bike is public garage parked 80% of the time). Nobody wants my bike when there are so many shiny new Sporties in the area. :D

I have a K75, live and work in NYC and never use a lock when I street park (bike is public garage parked 80% of the time). Nobody wants my bike when there are so many shiny new Sporties in the area. :D

Could be the only folks who want BMW's would rather buy than steal them:D:clap:dance:buds:twirl:groovy:nyah:doh:dance:thumb

Back