• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Run power for iPhone

B1Pilot

I have a RAM mount for my iPhone and it works well... however the biggest limitation is power... when using it for bluetoothed calls,or now with the new version as a turn by turn GPS, it can drain the battery pretty fast.

I would like to figure out a way to build a power harness so I can charge it through the power port on my RT...

I would need a simple USB charger... which would be awesome in mulitple ways or a simple BMW version of an inverter that plugs into the bike and has a standard power port on the other side. Does anyone know of anything like this that exists?

Otherwise, I am going to have to break out the soldering gun and build my own wire, which I dont totally want to do.

Thanks in advance...

B-1 Pilot

I'm currently using an iPhone on a RAM mount which is attached to the Migsel mounted on the fairing of my 1150RT.

I like the Griffin line of accessories for keeping the iPhone charged. They are fairly compact and adaptable. I can charge from USB plug on computer, 12V auto port, and 120V outlet with the same cable (or use the one that came with your iPhone instead). The Griffin 12V charger also has built-in surge protection and an LED that lets you know it's hooked up and when it's charging. They are coming out with a new system that uses a small rechargeable battery that plugs into the bottom of the phone to re-charge it. I'm probably going to get one when they're available and try it out. Then I could charge the external battery in the tank bag and plug it in when needed.

I don't have a good solution for recharging other than running a charger cable which uses a BMW to cigarette lighter converter and then the 12V Griffin adapter. The Powerlet cable looks very nice, but it's a "Unitasker" and I'm opposed to that notion since space is at a premium on a bike. I prefer a system with more flexibility.

Nothing about the iPhone is even remotely water resistant, so that's not high on my list, either. I've looked at using the RAM Aqua Box for the iPhone. The plastic membrane does not seem to work with the iPhone's touch sensitive screen. At least for me it doesn't.

I find that the display is a large consumer of juice from the iPhone. So I use it just for iPod and phone and use a Garmin for guidance.

Attachments

• P1030366.jpg
    P1030366.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 241
Back