• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

95 K1100RS oil window

Ron3BMWs

Where should the oil level be in the window when the engine is off? (Just below the red dot?) What Oil is recommended for an oil change? Thank you

Bike on centerstand on level ground, 10 minutes min after engine shut off, right at the red dot is the right amount. When the oil hits the bottom of the sight glass, add about a quarter of a quart then wait ten minutes or so and check it again.

How many miles on your bike? Does it consume oil between oil changes? If over 20k and using no oil, I would personally start using synthetic. If under 20k or still using more than a quart of oil every 1,500 miles, I would not.

oil and miles

Thank you Ted - I remember you as being the famous K1100RS (black) leader in information. The bike has about 30,000 miles and I added a little more than a quart of 20W 50 Synthetic blend - I am NOT mechanically inclined

What does your manual say?

The manual for my 91 K100RS states that anywhere in the sight glass is ok. The difference between the top of the sight glass and the bottom of the sight glass is 1 quart.

I prefer the middle on the dot or as close as possible. This with the bike on the center stand.

I miss my K11 :(

MyNewK1100RS.gif

Do you know what kind of oil is in there now? If it is regular Dino it is best to stick with that until you do an oil change and then move to synthetic though adding synthetic won't hurt anything you just won't get the full benefit.

Matter of fact, changing the oil is a great way to start getting comfortable working on the bike, it is easy for even the most mechanically dis-inclined. There are tons of "How-To's" both on the IBMWR.org site and over at the K11 Owner's Group at K11OG.org - just remember to go slow and go easy on tightening the filter cover bolts down (DAMHIK :D) Oh, and remember to put the drain plug in before adding the new oil (yeah, don't ask me how I learned that lesson either!)

Back