• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

K1200GT seat replacement

allanc53045

I have an '06 1200GT with the stock seat. I absolutely love the bike but the seat is like riding on the edge of a forward leaning 2 x 4; but not as comfortable. Any suggestions for improvement or modification?? I bought the sheepskin cover which provides marginal improvement, but does not address the problem of the feeling of always sliding forward. I have a Russell All Day on my 1100RT which is really comfortable.

Any suggestions??

Based on many forum discussions about K1200GT seats, it seems that the Sargent seats are one of the best out there. I have one on order for my 2008 but it hasn't arrived yet. I guess there's a 4-6 week wait, especially for the seats that have the front and rear heat option included. As soon as I get it installed and road tested, I will certainly post my findings here and on other K-bike forums.

I made the decision to purchase the Sargent because of the all the positive words about them and they look really nice as well.

Good luck. I'm very sick of my 2 x 4 as well!

Ride safe! :clap

I sat on a Sargent at the national in Wisconsin, 2 years ago. The problem is that they based their GT pan on the 06/early 07 pan dimension, long passenger and cramped rider. For me, it was too confining but it was less sloped than my early 07. When I asked the representative why they did that he said "we already had our GT seat pan form done when BMW decided to change the seat and we're not starting over." Corbin must have done the same thing. (I haven't checked recently, maybe they are now using the updated size?)
I ended up buying a stock BMW (post 11/06 production) seat from a salvage yard.

I have a Sargent seat. Sat on a Rick Mayer on a fellow's GS at the Johnson City MOA Rally and the difference was like day and night. I forthwith ordered the Rick Mayer, and am going to sell the Sargent. Best I can say for the Sargent is that it's better than the OEM by a country quarter mile, but I think the Rick Mayer's going to be better by the whole country mile and then some when it arrives, if it's anything like the fellow's I sat on at the rally. Curious thing is that the Mayer's no more expensive than what I paid for the Sargent, and it's custom made to fit my butt, weight, riding position, etc. whereas the Sargent was a 'ya get what we wanta make' type--and the heated setup doesn't even have the proper connector to be merely a plug-in fit to the BMW plug--the Sargent requires cutting and soldering THEIR type of connector to the OEM wires--Fooey! One of the fellows in our club (4 Winds) has a Russell Day Long, and he loves that too.

Been riding on the Sargent replacement seat for the 2008 K1200GT for a couple of months now and I couldn't be happier. The seat is wonderful. I'm not just sitting on a bike for a few minutes but riding 300-400 miles at a time and that's the real test. I use to get hot spots on my butt, but those no longer exist. In fact, after a long duration cruise, I can get off the bike and feel wonderful. The seat was an expensive option, but it turned out great. One thing I've also used are bicycle shorts under my mesh pants. They have a bit of chamois in the butt area. It makes an even bigger improvement when combined with the Sargent seat.

What's perfect? I don't know, but the Sargent seat has made my riding very pleasurable. Perhaps it's the combination of Sirrius/XM, the great local weather or the Sargent seat.

Whatever...please ride safely. :D

Peter

I have a Corbin

I just put a Corbin on. I will let you know how it works out.

Corbin seats are heavy, ill-fitting, and their customer service sucks. With that said, I actually like the feel/ride of them and have put one on every BMW I have owned. BMW stock seats are the worst!

I have a Sargent Seat on my K1200 gt '08. I rode the stock seat 6800 miles. I thought the germans can sure engineer a machine but they can't build a seat that a goat would eat. I have about 600 miles on the Sargent and it is a difference.
Once its broken in it will be a big improvement over the OEM seat by far.
I give it a thumbs up! Worth the cash spent. My numbness has gone away at
the 200 mile mark.
Ride with care.

Rick Mayer Saddle

My Rick Mayer Saddle is due in next week, so Rick tells me. At that time, the heated Sargent will go up for sale.

I've had a Russell for 5,000 miles and it's the most comfortable seat I've owned. My back seat driver is even happier.

russell seat is excellent

Allanc5305
Listen to 2wheelunit, put on a Russell and I can assure you you will not regret it.
I have had mine for two seasons..only covered 23000kms but i would highly recommend it.
They will spend as much time on the phone with you as you need. Everthing was exactly as advertised. I can keep on going all day and more.
They are not cheap but your butt will thank you.
There is my two cents.
Good luck I will be back on the road once the second of my two weddings are over this weekend(daughter this time).
Regards,
Vic
07 k1200gt

Last edited:
Finally got a replacement

So I posted my question/beef about the stock seat in 2009 and got a fair number of replies and suggestions, so thanks to all who chimed in. There was no overwhelming choice, and I didn't (obviously) rush into a decision because of the large amount of cash outlay to change; and then what if I didn't like the replacement. I saw an ad on the flea market for a used Russell for a good price and I have a Russell on my 1100RT that I love; so I opted for it. It's on the bike and I love it. The sliding forward and the sore butt problems are now history.

I've still got a Sargent seat for sale (the Flea Market ad just ran out). I only had it on my 09 K13GT for a few miles. Really nice seat, perfect condition, just doesn't fit my skinny butt...

If you're interested, let me know...

Bill Mayer Saddle

Rode out, from TX Hill Country, on my 06GT to Ojai on the way to the 49'er two weeks ago. Got this bike in April and it came with a Russell and it was OK but was not fitting me correctly.
Had a Bill (Rocky) Mayer on my R1200RT and my ass loved it. So made an apt and rode in at 7, had 4-5 fittings, went for a test ride, an adjustment, and it was covered and I was out by 10:30.
Did the same for my R1200RT and no problems. The K seat is also a heated seat and used it riding over the Sonora Pass and everything is fine. For what it's worth.

Rocky vs. Rick Mayer

I have been reading this post carefully as I agree the BMW stock seat is hell. I have checked out both "Mayer" sites and hard to guess which is better. I spoke with Rocky today and he was really easy to work with. I'm wondering if these guys are related.

At any rate, any additional information on riders using either Mayer seat would be appreciated.

Thanks.

K1200gt

So I posted my question/beef about the stock seat in 2009 and got a fair number of replies and suggestions, so thanks to all who chimed in. There was no overwhelming choice, and I didn't (obviously) rush into a decision because of the large amount of cash outlay to change; and then what if I didn't like the replacement. I saw an ad on the flea market for a used Russell for a good price and I have a Russell on my 1100RT that I love; so I opted for it. It's on the bike and I love it. The sliding forward and the sore butt problems are now history.

Be you always satisfied with your Russell saddle?

I don't like the OEM (K1200GT 20007)

Thank's

Back