• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

ZUMO 550 Crazy Routing

J

JANMILLER

I've got a Zumo 550 running version 4.70 of the software. Upgraded just before going on my last trip.

Zumo now routes crazily, when using 'shortest distance' will plot hundreds of miles out of the way!!!????
Before I check for upgrades, wondering if anyone else has encountered this. For instance, from around Cairo, IL, will plot a route to Superior, WI that goes FAR west in Iowa, north, than returns far east... about 250+ miles out of the way..

Plotting a similar route, with a waypoint to Madison WI, will plot straight north, then straight east to Madison, straight west back along the same route, and then north again.

example image shows a plot with a very obvious crazy jog in it...

It did not exhibit this ridiculousness previously, and I've not changed any settings, avoidances, etc.

Oh, and it randomly shuts off occasionally... No power warnings, just goes instantly black...

Anyone else seen this... Have a fix.... Haven't check for latest upgrade yet, wanted to check this forum..

Thanks,
Jan..

Attachments

• GarminRouteError.jpg
    GarminRouteError.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 264
Jan
I sounds a bit like you have the option "avoid main roads" selected. It can do some funky routing then.

A tip in Mapsource. Pick you waypoints carefully - zoom right in. You could, for instance, select the south-bound lanes of a highway, when you're heading north. You will then take the "scenic" route. Before you select the point, right click and some other options pop up. Try not to merely select a town (it will take you to the middle of it) but rather the exit road. Take a close up look at route, especially near the waypoints - it can send you down a road, then tell you to do a U turn - and get itself "lost"

Jan
I sounds a bit like you have the option "avoid main roads" selected. It can do some funky routing then.

A tip in Mapsource. Pick you waypoints carefully - zoom right in. You could, for instance, select the south-bound lanes of a highway, when you're heading north.

Excellent point by Mark - have fallen into that trap unawares - BTDT!!

Jan

I too have on numerous times been concerned about the shortest route. It sent me up a dead end the other day on a side road !
However I have played with it enough to start making my own routes. Word of advice about that, make a route to the half way point and then make another route to return. If not and you start out from the same point it will try to take you straight to the end and miss out all the fun in the middle. This could go on for miles.
I still struggle transferring my routes to the GPS, but I am working on that.
Still I do love appreciate it and it gets me home every time, even if it sends me a long way round

Jan

A tip in Mapsource. Pick you waypoints carefully - zoom right in. You could, for instance, select the south-bound lanes of a highway, when you're heading north. You will then take the "scenic" route. Before you select the point, right click and some other options pop up. Try not to merely select a town (it will take you to the middle of it) but rather the exit road. Take a close up look at route, especially near the waypoints - it can send you down a road, then tell you to do a U turn - and get itself "lost"

Have not seen that option on a Zumo.. I do have an avoidance set for 'interstates' but that was no problem until now.. Not using mapsource, but aware that you need to be careful..
Thanks
Jan..

Back