• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Traveling with a Laptop

I drive to work (about 80 miles round trip) everyday with my laptop(macpro 15.4)...

I use the Top case on the RT, and it really is the only thing I regularly use the top case for.. it comes off on weekends

To protect the laptop, its in an incase http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/cl57186 hardcase, and then is in my selected 'book bag" the aerostich courier bag http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/Aerostich-Courier-Bag-p-16140.html. This bag fits perfectly in the top case, and if the weather is nice I can just leave the top case off a drive with it over my shoulder to work.

Hope this helps

For the last 3 years I've carried a Toshiba laptop with me on most of my trips. I pack it vertically in the top case with a small amount of padding around it. I've never had a problem.

Most of my previous travel with laptop has been strictly for Email management.

I can now do that with my iPhone, so no more laptop travel.

Hairsmith, that's certainly a serious case. I like the concept of the laptop having a good amount of protection from both impact and water/moisture.

I've noted a number of you claim you put your laptops in your side case(s). Is this preferable or better than flat, horizontal storage?

Hoizontal storage incrases the risk of screen damage unless it is packed on top of stuff in a top case.

Vertical offers more options.

Hoizontal storage incrases the risk of screen damage unless it is packed on top of stuff in a top case.

Vertical offers more options.
Thanks, Rob. Good to know! :thumb

In researching some options for protection (and again, thanks to everyone for their great suggestions), I'm considering purchasing this Sea-Line Laptop Sleeve (and then storing the protected laptop in my side case).

Has anyone had experience with this or a similar product?

I always carry my laptop in my right side case, so it is not right over the muffler. :)

I currently use a 17" HP dv9700ec and carry it fully padded in the sidecase or in a Targus "Messenger Bag" laptop bag strapped to the co-rider backrest. The Targus bag has also been modified with the addition of straps so it can carried as a backpack if I want to. If I'm carrying a sleeping bag, I have wrapped it up in the bag which is then strapped to the co-rider seat. Been doing it this way for two years now with no problems or malfunctions ...

I carry my netbook in a RED stocking cap. Takes up no room and does double duty on cold nights in the campground.

Voni
sMiling

depends on what you need

Ted and Greg, thanks for the information about the Netbooks and amazing prices in HDs (especially for PC/Linux users). I'd contemplated a SSHD for my new MacBook Pro but Apple isn't exactly known for it's deep discounts and it's base offerings are a mere 128 or 256GB (so Serial ATA for me).

I know what you mean about Apple discounts. That's why I shop places like Newegg and Other World Computing for Mac stuff. Depending on the MacBook you have, a hard drive installation is a breeze. You could probably get by with the 13.3" MacBook instead of the more expensive 15.4" model. Just get a video adapter and run a second monitor for the Adobe CS apps. Oh yeah, max out the RAM. That will help with Photoshop, InDesign, etc.

If you're just doing email, web, and simple docs, a netbook looks like the best option. Some will even run Leopard. BoingBoing has a great chart with info on what works. The Dell Mini 9 and Lenovo S10 look to be the best bets to run OSX.

Has anyone traveled with the newer Netbooks out, they seam perfect for checking email while on the road and advertise long battery life ?

Just make sure you get one with a 6-cell or 9-cell battery - the 3-cell batteries coming with the really low-priced ones don't last very long.

Has anyone traveled with the newer Netbooks out, they seam perfect for checking email while on the road and advertise long battery life ?

I've traveled some with an Acer Aspire One with both the 3-cell and 6-cell batteries. The 3-cell lasts about 2.5 hours and the 6-cell about 5 to 5.5hrs - but that depends a lot on usage. It's small, seems durable, boots fast (resits the temptation to install a bunch of crap - just necessary applications), and packs easily. This will be my travel notebook on my rides this summer.

I have booked off for this weekend since we are just finishing a course and I know there won't be a connection at the fairgrounds. Things are really busy in July, though, and there will be no relief for me. I know I'm covered at the MOA National. Anyone know if the RA rally has WIFI? I'm gonna hate it if I have to spend most of my days there riding to the nearest internet cafe.

Holly

I have one of the Dell Mini-9 hackintosh netbooks with a 32GB SSD and 2GB RAM. it has a 4 cell battery and it lasts for about 3 1/2 hours with the wireless on. If I turn down the display and not use the wireless, I get an additional hour. I have stopped taking my Macbook Pro on trips as it weighs only 2.2 pounds and does everything I need, has plenty of speed and no hard drive to worry about.

I have booked off for this weekend since we are just finishing a course and I know there won't be a connection at the fairgrounds. Things are really busy in July, though, and there will be no relief for me. I know I'm covered at the MOA National. Anyone know if the RA rally has WIFI? I'm gonna hate it if I have to spend most of my days there riding to the nearest internet cafe.

Holly

No wireless at the National? :scratch

Jonathan, I had a 17" MacBook Pro that I hauled around vertically for about 5k miles or so in a Spire Dart sleeve. Backed up CF cards to it and and had a few 1.5TB FireWire arrays for the desk. Had the full CS3 suite and Aperture on it, maxed out the memory (after market). Only problem I ever had with it was someone stole it from the house. :(

Had other vehicles w/running laptops over the years. One laptop (older ThinkPad) with over 50k miles on it that was replaced for a Dell w/a bigger screen. The ThinkPad was one tough little machine.

Commuting with a laptop...

I use a leather courier style briefcase with a padded sleeve built specifically to transport a laptop. On the old airhead hardcases, this bag fits perfectly standing up, and strapped in with the internal elastic bands. I've used this arrange for commuting for the past 5 or 6 years with NO issues. The laptop is vertical, as Rob mentioned, and often is left in "standby" mode. Never had a problem.

Also, as Rob has suggested, the case in the pic looks exactly like what you'd need.

As far as traveling for pleaseure with a laptop on a motorcycle, I don't. People who need to contact me can do so via cell phone. As far as work is concerned, I'm on vacation, so they'll have to wait. Same with e-mail.

Back