• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Day Rides - More T's in Twisties

Short Dual Sport

... and easy.

106 miles, takes in the north end of The Snake.

Holston Mountain Road departs US19 just north of Elizabethton.

Holston Mountain turns to gravel and becomes Big Creek Road.

Nice ride through the woods along the south shore of Holston Lake.

US421 South to Shady Valley.

TN91 south.

Panhandle Road up to the top of the hill and back down, just for the heck of it.

Return to rally.

Nice little 3 hour ride.

ian

Attachments

• ShortDualSport.zip
    33.7 KB · Views: 24
as usual, i'm doing all my trip planning a few days before i leave.

thanks a bunch ian!

Quick Question

When I load the map on my GPS (BMW NAVII), I get this message, "This route does not match the available maps! It will not follow the roads precisely. So you want to recalculate?" Is that OK? I have City Navigator North America 2008.
Ron

Thanks!!!

Thank you so much for your work here. Coming from CT, it is good to have these loaded in the zumo. Much appreciated!!!

:dance

When I load the map on my GPS (BMW NAVII), I get this message, "This route does not match the available maps! It will not follow the roads precisely. So you want to recalculate?" Is that OK? I have City Navigator North America 2008.
Ron

by any chance, did you load your maps from a mac? or... are the maps already pre-installed on the GPS?

i've had this issue when i load my maps into my 276C from the mac and then load a route created on my PC.

These maps were created with Mapsource version 6.15.6 using data from City Navigator North America 2009. (so that could also possibly be an issue).

I'd choose the "recalculate" option and hope you don't get lost. :ha

hey, what could be worse than getting lost in this beautiful part of the country, where there are no bad roads????

ian

by any chance, did you load your maps from a mac? or... are the maps already pre-installed on the GPS?

i've had this issue when i load my maps into my 276C from the mac and then load a route created on my PC.

These maps were created with Mapsource version 6.15.6 using data from City Navigator North America 2009. (so that could also possibly be an issue).

hey, what could be worse than getting lost in this beautiful part of the country, where there are no bad roads????

ian

I agree, it is probably the difference in software. I am going to wing it.
Ron

ian

Thanks for putting these together, Ian!

I'm using Garmin RoadTrip (2.0.2) on a mac. Able to import your files just fine.

Hesitant to say use recalculate, though. From what I've gathered trying to do this, it will change your route to fit the available waypoints based on your particular settings for avoidances, shortest vs. fastest, and scenic vs. highways which you've made in the software. This can end up totally changing the route from what you intended to something totally bizarre based on what it 'thinks' is best.

Not sure yet, but I think the same could happen after you export it to your GPS unit again based on settings you have there. So we'll have to see.

I usually end up using a ton of waypoints in order to force it to use the route that I want. It's a very cumbersome process!

Ian,

In your Dual Sport Ride Over Roan Mountain, you mention TN 143/NC 261. Is this a good paved road? I'm a RR rider and wanted to visit Roan Mtn S.P. and Carver's Gap at Roan Mtn.

Too little time to ride. There was so much going on at the rally!

I've resolved to return here just to ride next time!:thumb

Back