• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Deer!

bmwmotowoman

Yesterday I hit a deer near Jackson Tn. Luckily there was not much damage to the bike. Has anyone else had this happen? I was about 1 hour from my house. I was actually on my ST3 Ducati. I did not have time to react. Luckily, I just stopped the bike for a minute and then I was able to continue riding. BE SAFE!

They are just pretty rats.

Way overpopulated, but the greenies would hate anything more aggresive than what we currently have to control their numbers.

We need more hunters and longer hunting seasons.

I suspect that in the next 10 years we will have to impose a bounty on them.

People have trouble understanding that there are more Whitetail Deer in the US than ever before. Yes, there are more now than when it was just the native Americans.

I have killed 3 deer and destroyed two bikes while doing so. Not to mention the injuries to me. Fortunately ATGATT works!

Way overpopulated, but the greenies would hate anything more aggresive than what we currently have to control their numbers.

Disagree - I consider myself a "greenie", an environmentalist, a tree hugger and I understand the importance of stewardship of our resources. I think it is the wildlife officials who are responsible for managing the resource for hunters who want high numbers. I would love to see longer doe seasons and professional culling in suburban areas to bring numbers down to numbers that represent a healthy prey/predator balance.

Native plants, wildflowers, forbs and forage for other critters are being decimated by deer overpopulation, but hunters, want close and easy kills so the deer populations are allowed to grow excessivly high to keep hunters from complaining.

Still I am sure there are self proclaimed environmentalists who do not understand the natural balance of predator/prey relationships who want to protect bambi, but people who actually get out into open country know there are too many deer and too few predators (hunters)

Yes Bob, you are right. I should not have generalized. Putting people in neat little groups is never easy and you always wind up offending someone. That said I hope most get the point.

Yes Bob, you are right. I should not have generalized. Putting people in neat little groups is never easy and you always wind up offending someone. That said I hope most get the point.

No offense taken. Ride safe and anticipate Bambi.

Hey all, having destroyed a perfectly good Gold wing by hitting an eight point buck, I would have to agree that they are becoming a major menace. The problem isn't only too many dear, it's too few hunters and other predators. As a society, we no longer encourage youngsters to take up hunting. In fact, the MEA and PETA has done everything in their (considerable) power to demonize hunting. The DNR has attempted to reintroduce predators several times, but they are too few, and can become a nuisance in their own right. Longer seasons, higher bag limits maybe a bounty... Don't know that there is a answer that isn't going to P.O.someone!! Just be careful out there!! Vaya con Dios, Dutch

You would think that the recession going so bad the people would start culling them on their own like during the depression. That was a all time low for deer populations, countrywide. Meat is meat and man has to eat.

Bring back the wolves.

We tried! Canada sent a pack of wolves to Yellowstone to help address the imbalances and you wouldn't believe the fuss the local ranchers made. A better balance of predators everywhere in N. America would be a good thing. Around here we have people who insist on feeding the darned deer!!

Holly
FIM Environmental Steward
545415002_hBPhv-M.jpg

Oh believe me. We have lots of predators here in Western TN, (where the OP & I both live) but they are the kind with two legs.

Nothing scary around here in the woods, but there are a few zipcodes in the area that would frighten a sasquatch or chupacabra.

In Wisconsin, about a half-dozen motorcycle riders each year die in collisions with white-tailed deer. If you ride in Wisconsin, you WILL dodge deer. Wild turkey have become a problem as well.

In Arizona, collisions with mule deer are not as common, but still occur. Also, watch out for javelina in Arizona. Coyotes, while common, are usually too smart to allow themselves to be hit by a motorcycle.

this year the Deer threat is is real bad around here. a local farmer has planted Soybeans on both sides of the gravel road to my house. Deer and Turkey love Soybeans. :banghead

In our province of Ontario, during the first two weeks of November, we have an average of 65 reported deer hits a day.

If I ride at night, it is now only for a very short distance. After a month's ride though the U.S. a couple of summers ago. I spotted deer, sometimes in herds, at the side of the road at all hours of the day, not just night time. At least during the day you can see them; who needs a striking surprise in the dark?

I like to consider myself an environmentalist, but I can not understand people in our area that protest whenever deer culling is brought up by the local government.

As an aside, in Ontario and most likely all of Canada (and this applies to cages more so than bikes), if there is no contact and tangible proof (blood, deer hair) that you ended up in a ditch while trying to avoid a deer (even with a witness), our insurance companies refuse to pay out for repairs, saying that the driver was probably inattentive, asleep at the wheel or possibly intoxicated. As riders our best option is to maintain course with brakes forcefully applied.

One of my cousins tried to made the mistake of trying to miss a deer with her car two Christmases ago. It wasn't the deer that killed her but rather the tree that she hit while trying to avoid the deer.

One of Walt Disney's legacies was making Bambi so adorable to the general population; what a shame.

Texas is full of whitetail as well...a few mule deer west & south. This year the drought is even worse and the deer are moving at all times of the day...used to be dusk & dawn as normal. We have them in the yard two three times a day foraging for food & water... I quit hunting many years ago, the neighbors haven't.
I avoid the night driving unless necessary since they just come out of nowhere.

Near Austin & San Antonio the cities continue to expand into natural habitat and everyone gripes about the deer, the feral hogs( don't hit one of those tanks!), and the coyotes.
Have made contact with GS and with Dodge...made it OK so far...the GS hit was a broadside at low speed..the deer broadsided me I should say.

Hey all; Here in Northern Michigan, the darn things wonder through the center of town as if they own the place. I won't ride after dark anymore unless I have no other recourse. As far as other predators go, the locals seem to get as upset by the prospect of wolves or (God forbid!!) mountain lions being reintroduced into the area. Of course, most of the ones who whine the loudest about the predators, are the same ones who feed these overgrown rats in their backyards. Give me my 30-30 darn it!! Vaya con Dios, Dutch

Unfortunately I too had a bad encounter with a deer in Aug. 07 and am still recovering physically almost two years later.

I have been testing a new product called the Hornet Electronic Deer Whistle and can say it works! Five times during my test I saw deer on the side of the road nibbling the grass and turned the unit on. Immediately they looked up and walked back into the woods. This has happened each and every time. I highly recommend it. (No affiliation to the company)

As a hunter, I would rather see those deer in my freezer than in my headlight.

Ride safe, and watch for those hoof rats.

but hunters, want close and easy kills so the deer populations are allowed to grow excessivly high to keep hunters from complaining.

Really? I heard that swine flu is being allowed to spread to keep the doctors from complainig!!! Good Lord......

Back