• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

From a cruiser to an F800ST...

kthkern

I have been riding a Yamaha V-Star 650 for almost a year.

I bought a used 2007 BMW f800st and rode it home last night!

f800st.jpg

This is the model I have now in the garage (with the side bags and top box) It had less than 650 miles on it. The warranty expires in August of 2010.

I took a short detour on the way home and only returned because it was starting to rain. I did not take a picture of my bike because of the weather, so I found one that is the same model with the same luggage and included it.

I will be going on quiet neighborhood rides and parking lot practices to get acquainted with her/him. It is friskier than my V-Star and the friction zone is in an entirely different place!! I will need to practice all of those slow turns and turns from a stop! I did stall once on the ride home.

Another new learning experience will be getting used to not being able to flatfoot the bike. It already has the low suspension and low seat.

Only the balls of my feet touch with this bike. I just had heels put on my boots (picking them up tomorrow morning), and ordered bar raisers/setbacks.

I knew from my test ride a few months ago, I will probably have handlebar risers put on it if I do not get used to the pressure on my hands. The ride home confirmed that I need them.

I am soooo excited!

I am also a bit nervous... This bike is nothing like the adorable V-Star that I have become so comfortable riding.

However, after yesterday's ride, I realized I really enjoyed the "flickability" of the sporty bike.

I will love having lockable bags!!!

I would appreciate suggestions regarding making the adjustment!

Welcome to the forum - beautiful bike, we were looking at that for my wife, but we ended up getting soemthing else.

One of the things I like is the "flickability" of my RT.

There will be many things different from the previous cruiser you will start noticing and all of them good.

Enjoy your ride. :thumb

Welcome to the forum and best of luck with your new ride!

I've never ridden a cruiser but I'm sure there's quite a difference..... just relax and be patient getting used to the new one.

WELCOME and CONGRATULATIONS!!

What a great bike and what a wonderful transition to make (from cruiser to sport touring). Congratulations.

QUESTION - is it Keith or Kath(y)?? Just curious...

In 2005 when I returned to motorcycling, I too rode a cruiser for a year, though it only took 2-3 months before I realized that my impulse buy (Honda Shadow 1100) was a mistake. It didn't fit the way I ride, the type of riding I like to do, it didn't meet my handling criteria... in short, a $$$ learning experience.

Then, I met a BMW R1100RT. What a difference. That was 3 years and 5 days ago and I've put 31,500 miles on the RT since I bought it. It just rolled to 61000 on my way home from work this evening. Yep, I commute to work on it and in the parking lot I change from "bike to bank" in 5 minutes. (chosen profession - banker).

Don't be nervous, riding a motorcycle is the same but the difference between the two bikes will be staggering. Put some hours / miles / days of riding on it and you'll be more comfortable. In a month or two, you will hadle this bike as if you've owned it for years. ENJOY.

PERSONAL SOAPBOX - PLEASE, wear All The Gear, All The Time (ATGATT). You don't get a choice as to when you'll be involved in an incident. Two weeks ago, my car got remodeled by another driver on my way home from work. Last week, my bike almost got remodeled by someone who just wasn't paying attention (though he'd just passed me a minute earlier). Be as conspicuous as you can be (the term CONSPICUITY refers to "being conspicuous" or noticeable) it may save your life.

Ride safely, ride often!

I have an 08 F800ST with the low suspension and low seat. I'm on the balls of my feet as well, but have pretty much gotten used to it as i've had the bike for almost a year. It's only a problem in gravel or sand (we have a lot of that in Florida).

I switched from a Honda Shadow 750 and am I so happy I did. This bike is a blast to ride and my riding has really improved now that I can actually lean the bike without feeling like I'm fighting with it.

You are going to love riding the bike and the more you ride it the more fun it will be. Watch that throttle though...before you know it you're going 80 and you barely turned it.

Welcome

Enjoy your new ride! I have only been an F800 ST owner for the past 12 days and I have to tell you every mile brings another smile. :wave

Welcome. Glad to have you here.

Congratulations on the new bike. Like you, I rode a cruiser before getting a Beemer so I understand the adjustments. You will never look back.

Let us know how you are doing.

IMG_1261.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome!

In the three weeks since getting the bike... 1,100 miles!!
Dpryan:
there's quite a difference..... just relax and be patient getting used to the new one.
No rough spots in this honeymoon period so far!!

kkaykk:
Enjoy your new ride! I have only been an F800 ST owner for the past 12 days and I have to tell you every mile brings another smile.
It does!

Jay said:
PERSONAL SOAPBOX - PLEASE, wear All The Gear, All The Time (ATGATT).

As you can see... I do ATGATT! (I am Kathy)

Teeny said:
I have an 08 F800ST with the low suspension and low seat. I'm on the balls of my feet as well, but have pretty much gotten used to it as i've had the bike for almost a year. It's only a problem in gravel or sand

I am very aware of the "slope of the land" when I park... It is hard (make that impossible) to back up on any incline!

Guitardad:
Hi Kathy! Welcome!!!

Thanks!!

Semper:
There will be many things different from the previous cruiser you will start noticing and all of them good.

I agree!!

Thanks!!

Sibud:
Congratulations on the new bike. Like you, I rode a cruiser before getting a Beemer so I understand the adjustments. You will never look back.

Let us know how you are doing.

As you can see.... I am having a blast!!!

I decided to take a ride to Monatuk Point and other places on Friday! I knew the summer traffic in the Hamptons is sometimes as bad as rush-hour around Manhattan, so I left early
ArriveatMontauk.jpg

It was a cloudy day, and it looked like a bank of fog was just off the coast. I started to walk towards the beach.
Pathtothebeach.jpg

Hardly anyone was there, but I did find another wanderer to take this pic:
Kathy.jpg

The area around the light house as been protected from the ocean by rocks, but there is a walk area of sorts around the tip, that looked tame enough, so off I went with only the sound of the fog horn and the waves crashing around the rocks.

This one did not get me wet. Later, one did, though I was not holding the camera at the time.
IMG_1286.jpg

Time for coffee!!
IMG_1292.jpg

Soon enough I was back on the bike for a ride to Montauk Harbor:
Enteringtheharbor.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

This pic shows the area:
IMG_1297.jpg

I decided to go .... and while at stop sign, this colorful character rides up to me and introduces himself!

IMG_1301.jpg

We pulled over to talk about riding.
Phil Berg is not a man of few words, while we chatted, one of the dogs fell asleep!
IMG_1302.jpg

Phil offered to take me on a ride through the back roads! I took him up on his offer, and I wish I had a mounted camera. (Hmm... another farkle is on the list?) He seems to be quite popular and knew (or at least seemed to know) everyone. All waved to him as we rode by. We were quite an incongruous pair of riders!!
IMG_1303.jpg

Notice the expression on the dogs' faces...
IMG_1308.jpg

The hair is part of his helmet:
IMG_1310.jpg

Now the rain clouds were starting to look like they were approaching so we went back to town. Phil Berg wanted to give me a copy of his book of his travels across the country with his dog. (He did not have the second dog at the time.)

When we arrived, reporters from Channel 11 were there reporting on the locality.

It ended up with him taking one of the reporters for a ride with the TV camera rolling... but mine wasn't! He seems to be an unofficial ambassador of Montauk ... The local town commerce department really should put him "on the books" for the "job" he does promoting the interesting sites and history of the area!!
While I was waiting for their return, I found this. A large lawn ornament without the lawn?
IMG_1311.jpg

After they returned, Phil went to the local bookstore and gave me a copy of his book, TRAVELS WITH UMMA. By now it was raining, not a downpour, just a steady rain. He told me about some pretty back roads to take on my ride west. I plugged the information into the gps and I was on the road again! That was wonderful even with the rain.

After 30-40 minutes of rain riding, it stopped, and I found a place to eat. It was where I learned to fully investigate the "slope of the land" when parking because I almost got stuck!

I decided to head for a south shore beach (Smith Point Park). When I got there, I found out it costs $12 for non-residents. Ouch! I spoke with the local park police, and explained that I used to live in the area, came back for old-times-sake, and wanted to just look around for a moment and take a few pictures. He let me use their parking place!

IMG_1319.jpg

IMG_1320-1.jpg

I went to the slab to see if my CB works... and left shortly after.

I decided that I wanted a prettier ride, and headed on a more northern route for the ride home. That was better (no pic though), and since I was so close to the water, I might take a picture of a north shore beach as well!

IMG_1326.jpg

It looked dark, but it was not late! I decided to head home. As I was riding, I looked overhead and saw the clouds... not too bad. I looked above and behind me!!! Oh sh$t!!! :shocked:

Now I was in a hurry!!! I continued to ride home ...faster!!!

Arriving home... it looks ok:
IMG_1327.jpg

However, this was a pic taken from my front door a few minutes later!!

Rain!! Wind!! Thunder!! Lightning!! Hail!!
IMG_1333.jpg

WHEW!!!

268 miles
A fun day!

Last edited:
Welcome to the club.I switchrd from a Harley to my RT and have never looked back.Some of my friends have also sold their Harleys for the BMW's that they have always wanted....Getting ready for a small trip this afternoon with my son in law(he sold his Harley and had a GS now)we are going to the beach about 240 miles for some fried shrimp and oysters..Gulf Shores here we come..Have fun and enjoy the ride..:D

first bike

Kathy, you should consider writing a story for the owners news. Not a lot of members participate in the forum and this would make a nice story for the, I think they call it first bike, but your story would be a good one.

Two days after that solo ride, I went for a small group ride and did 380 miles.

Towards the end of the ride, different body parts did start to complain... and I was dreaming of highway pegs to change my leg position a bit. It may have looked a tad silly, but on the quiet roads, I let a leg dangle a bit now and then when my knee joints started to make themselves noticed!

Next month, I will be taking a long (mostly boring slab) ride and will have to put in about 650 miles on a Friday, about 100 miles (fun group ride) on Saturday, and another 650 miles on Sunday's return trip. Because of time limitations, the trip can't be be extended. It will be an endurance run!

I have an AirHawk cushion that I used on the cruiser, I put it on the F800ST and sat on the bike, I am glad I can still reach the ground with it on, so that will be used. Though I have the low suspension and low seat on the F800ST, this is what I had to do to get my feet on the ground... the shoemaker was very confused when I requested that two additional heels be put on my boots!
I can "flatfoot" now without the AirHawk, but most of my body weight is on the bike.

IMG_1251-1.jpg

I have a Crampbuster to help with those long highway miles.
I will toughen up and also pack some over-the-counter pain medication!!!! :)

Kathy
I love this bike!!:heart

With an airhawk people tend to over inflate them.
Giving you the impression of sitting on a balloon... (sorta)
It really takes very little to reap the benefits.
Usually just enough air to separate the sides.

Try it. Makes a big difference.

With an airhawk people tend to over inflate them.

I did that when I first got it for the cruiser!!:blush

When I put it on the ST it had the right about of air in it (very little), and it did not raise me up more than a half inch... it will work!
My butt is saved!:clap

Seat height and flat footing

Kathy,
I am looking for a "next bike" for my wife. She started riding (after decades as pillion) a year ago, with a cruiser (Honda Shadow), and is feeling comfortable enough to start venturing out with me on longer rides on her own bike, instead of as pillion (I have an R1200RT). I have been considering the F800ST for her. My R1200RT (understandably) intimidates her because of the seat height, compared to the Shadow. She can hardly tip-toe both feed at the same time on my bike!

She is 5' 4" tall. My question is: from your experience, with the lowered suspension on your F800ST, can you offer an opinion how flat footed or not would she be? I'm looking around locally for such a bike so she can try it out and see, and last weekend we went to the BMW dealer and she sat on several bikes, but none had the lowered suspension. We liked the F800GT and were disappointed to find that BMW is not (according to the dealer) offering it with the lowered suspension option, which is hard to understand. But the ST still seems a very viable option, if the low suspension is low enough for her.

Enjoyed your post and travel-log.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_2111 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2111 (Small).JPG
    101 KB · Views: 68
Brings back memories

Your report from Monatuk brought back great memories of a trip with the best dog in the world. I agree you should write an article, I really enjoyed reading it and as someone who has no writing skills I can appreciate it.

Wayne

Cruiser to Beemer

I've only been riding a little over a year and started out on a cruiser as well, Suzuki S50. I purchased an F800ST and I can't say enough about it. I love it. What a difference. I love doing tight windy roads and really enjoy those corners. I'm leaning the bike more and more and wow is that fun. I'm thinking of doing the BMW Rally in Minnesota and we are also doing a bike trip to the Outer Banks. I am located in PA. Enjoy your ride. It only gets better and better.

Back