• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Road/Hotel/Town suggestions, Central NY

MDCRUISER

Ride Safe!
Hi all,

I'm off to Ottawa, Canada in July to see a long-lost friend, and plan to take two days to get there. From south-central Maryland I will be coming up US 15 (Frederick-Harrisburg-Williamsport - Mansfield, etc. ) and am looking to stop overnight somewhere in central NY (convenient to my next day's right north into Canada). Looking for a suggestion of a really nice road/town/hotel/B&B, etc. [I don't camp.] Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

If you would like a nice diversion from Rt 15: take rt 44 at Allenwood which is north of Lewisburg. Once you arrive in Jersey Shore pick up Rt 287. Hop back on Rt 15 right before the NY state border. Corning for a first time over nighter is very user friendly.

Ride 414 out of Corning to 104B, 3, 180 then 12 and you will have a great ride to the 1000 Island Bridge. If you are uncomfortable crossing over on those bridges; ride on up to Ogdensburg. Don't forget your passport.

If you would like a nice diversion from Rt 15: take rt 44 at Allenwood which is north of Lewisburg. Once you arrive in Jersey Shore pick up Rt 287. Hop back on Rt 15 right before the NY state border. Corning for a first time over nighter is very user friendly.

Ride 414 out of Corning to 104B, 3, 180 then 12 and you will have a great ride to the 1000 Island Bridge. If you are uncomfortable crossing over on those bridges; ride on up to Ogdensburg. Don't forget your passport.

Thanks, these are great suggestions, and I will follow them!

Finger Lakes Stop

A little more than an hour north of Corning is the town of Canandaigua. It is located on the north end of Canandaigua Lake and The Inn on the Lake would be a great stop with lakefront access. Be sure to ask for a room with lake view. I am sure you would be impressed, I may be a little biased as this is my home town.
Jimmer

If you follow the suggested Rt 414, it will take you into Watkins Glen, there are several small mom and pop places in the area, should not be a problem getting a place unless you hit a race weekend, check the Glens Race calendar.

Town has a lot of nice places to eat and is not a bad town to walk. The Glen park is real nice if you have a couple hours and want a good hike.

The closer you get to the north end of the lake near Geneva, the more $$$ you can expect to pay for lodging.

I think I've decided to stay in downtown Ithaca (maybe tour Cornell a bit, or go canoeing on the lake, as I hope to arrive at the hotel around 1PM). My route to the border the next day is, tentatively, (all NY highways and adapting the recommendation made above) 34 to 104B to 3 to 180 to 12, crossing the 1000-islands bridge. Are there any improvements possible to this selection of highways? Also, from the Canadian side, is there a "most scenic" way to get to Ottawa?

I think I've decided to stay in downtown Ithaca (maybe tour Cornell a bit, or go canoeing on the lake, as I hope to arrive at the hotel around 1PM). My route to the border the next day is, tentatively, (all NY highways and adapting the recommendation made above) 34 to 104B to 3 to 180 to 12, crossing the 1000-islands bridge. Are there any improvements possible to this selection of highways? Also, from the Canadian side, is there a "most scenic" way to get to Ottawa?

Pretty flat N of the border, some small lakes, and farm land, but nothing too thrilling. If you want to stay off the slab, try this route MAP 15 is a main, but good road. Watch some of the smaller roads as they can be REAL rough, and get annoying quickly.

Smiths Falls

That route in Canada goes through Smiths Falls. Must stop and tour Hersey Canada plant. Lots of chocolate and Jolly Rancher candy......

Back