• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1100RS Backrest

C

COMMANDO74

Hello Everyone!

After years of owning Airheads, I just bought my first Oilhead, a 1996 R1100RS. First order of business is a passenger backrest due to kids, etc. I would like one with a rack, if possible. I am also consiering a top hard bag with built in backrest. Any suggestions? Of course, a backrest with removeable hardbag would be the best, but I suppose I am being overly optomistic these exist. Anyone have ideas they can forward? Thanks in advance for your replys..

Hello back at ya,

When I bought my '95 RSL, a Sargent backrest and luggage rack were included in the deal; this system works very well. A while back, I came across a deal on a Givi top case with a backrest included that I couldn't pass up, so I bought it. I like both of the systems; but if I could only have one, I would have to choose the top box because of the extra luggage space (Did I mention that I even go grocery shopping on The Black Bee?), and my daughter prefers the top box support over the back rest.

Hope this helps,
Robert

Backrest

My RS came with a Corbin that has the flip up backrest. Not bad but the Givi hard case gives a bit more comfort. The Corbin is straight up if not a hair forward with the lean. Not bad but I wouldn't call it overly comfortable.

Kerbse

I've got a '94 R1100RS. I'm assuming U don't have a rear rack. Goto the oilhead microfishce like at Max BMW. Early oilhead RS had a reinforsement bar had to be added to add a rear rack. BMW does't show a top case for the RS. If U get the oilhead RT rear rack instead of the RS rear rack, it will mount the RT topcase. Just a small amount of creative trimming and that rear rack will fit. The small amount of trimming is on the back of the plastic seat cowling. Be sure to get the 2 rubber grommets that surround the rack. U will probably have to add a little black filler to help fill the area around the rubber grommets. Hardly notiveable on my bike. Now U can use the RT topcase. I see used ones for sell on several sites. Back rests can be added to the topcase and case can be keyed to your saddlebags. Good luck with your project.

I've got a '94 R1100RS. I'm assuming U don't have a rear rack. Goto the oilhead microfishce like at Max BMW. Early oilhead RS had a reinforsement bar had to be added to add a rear rack. BMW does't show a top case for the RS. If U get the oilhead RT rear rack instead of the RS rear rack, it will mount the RT topcase. Just a small amount of creative trimming and that rear rack will fit. The small amount of trimming is on the back of the plastic seat cowling. Be sure to get the 2 rubber grommets that surround the rack. U will probably have to add a little black filler to help fill the area around the rubber grommets. Hardly notiveable on my bike. Now U can use the RT topcase. I see used ones for sell on several sites. Back rests can be added to the topcase and case can be keyed to your saddlebags. Good luck with your project.

I did the above to my '94 RSL. I bought a used BMW top case from the ON flea market, good as new for less than half price. You can purchase a new pad that installs on the top case if there is not one there already. The used top cases come up for sale regularly. Also as mentioned here elsewhere, GIVI makes a nice case as well.

Back