• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2010 Rally Location

Hmmm... it's in Tennesee this year.

Yep, having it in Kentucky next year would be a big change!:scratch I can already hear people bellyaching about Kentucky. "Geez, we were just in Tennesee last year. We should go to Oregon, or something.":violin

I hear everyone's concerns, many of which are valid. I perhaps have concerns of my own. However, I hope I never catch myself bellyaching publicly about where the rally is being held.

I see three valid options:
1) Go where the rally is, no matter what.
2) Go to select rallies, based on the attractiveness/convenience of the location (to you).
3) Get together with your club, riding buddies, Chamber of Commerce, etc. and organize a pitch (working through "the process") for hosting the rally at the location of your choice.

Frankly, I found all the grousing about Gillette last year to be rather disrespectful of the efforts of the folks volunteering untold hours to make it happen. :banghead

I will continue to attend as I can, and pitch in (however insignificantly) by volunteering a few hours at registration, etc., between other activities.

I'm not picking on any particular member/poster, but it seems that grousing about the rally location is an Olympic sport around here. This observation is coming from a cynical, negative, pessimist!

As I was told at the RA ralling in Michigan last year, "Rally On, Dudes!":thumb

No offense to the site selected as I found it to be real nice for the last rally there, but why not try something new. I thought they would wait at least three years to have another western rally, since Gillette, Wyoming was last year. How about one in Maine for example? How about southern Indiana or Kentucky? If it has to be in the west, how about Colorado or New Mexico? One of the reasons I go to the national is to look at all the new stuff vendors have. Unfortunately, when there is a western rally, many of the vendors do not make it.

For those of us in the west, Wyoming is "east". :D

We continue to add new locations, but going to a known location makes the logistics of running the rally about a hundred times more efficient and at least that much easier. We were last there almost ten years ago, so it's time.

I lived in the northwest through all of the 90s, covered that area pretty well on a string of different bikes. Lots of the prettiest places in this country are out that way, and most of the rest of 'em are on the way, or on the way back- or could be, with a little creative routing.

:usa

I missed the first Redmond party- I had just moved back east, had a new ball & chain, and couldn't do justice to such an excursion. I've been jealous of those who did go ever since.......
:violin

Stumbled across this thread in the wee hours of a night too warm to sleep through.....already got it on my calendar, got my maps out, thinking about which bike to take- and can't stop smiling! Like a kid in a penny-candy store, with $20 and mom's not looking.......
:dance

Any excuse at all to revisit some of these beautiful places is good reason to grin!

Now.....how to get there? how to get back? how long can I get away with being on the road, and who can I bring with me?

:twirl

A close friend and I will both be renting from you. So I will help you out by bringing a friend. I was at Gillette last year and used you and look forward to using you next year in Redmond. This years rally was just to far for me with the amount of time I get off. I have no problem with the event drifting around the US. Some how I get the feeling that people think we don't have running water in this part of the country and why would they want to got their.
The Redmond/Bend area is a very nice place to ride. And there is a lot of great places to go within 100 mile radius.
I think all rally locations bring there own pluses and minuses and distance is a factor for a lot of people. Next year is real close for me so I am happy! But if I had had the time I would be happy going to this years rally.
I do not care to understand the politics or the decision making process, I admire the effort that goes into just pulling off the event each year where ever it is held.

+1:thumb

2010 Rally location decision?

I know that everyone already knows that this is a "repeat location". I am not sure at which rally that the statement was made that these locations are "years in the planning", but it just wasn't that long ago that the BMW National Rally was in Redmond, OR.
I'll plan to go anyway, but this is a bit disappointing to not spread the wealth to other locations. I'm not buying the statements about venues that cannot support the masses.
btw- My favorite venue has been Durango, CO

Rally in Redmond

Really and truly, one of my favorite parts of the BMWMOA is that the rally is NEVER IN THE SAME PLACE TWICE. I have no desire to see Oregon a second time with so many states that I've never been to. Guess I'll have to see where the AMA and Star rallies are in 2010. Or you never know, I may decide to pick my own rally site and just go there. I hear the trans Canada railroad is nice and I could ride back.......

Really and truly, one of my favorite parts of the BMWMOA is that the rally is NEVER IN THE SAME PLACE TWICE. I have no desire to see Oregon a second time with so many states that I've never been to. Guess I'll have to see where the AMA and Star rallies are in 2010. Or you never know, I may decide to pick my own rally site and just go there. I hear the trans Canada railroad is nice and I could ride back.......

I suppose the way I look at it, we went to Oregon in 2001 and had the opportunity to ride through 32 States. Meander this way or that way and you can get just about anything you like. Our advantage in this is that we are waaaaay over on the right coast so our options are many. To us the destination is one thing but that glorious ride is....well, glorious:usa. - Bob

Opportunity in Everything

This outstanding venue provides an opportunity for hundreds if not thousands of west coast riders to participate. A lot of them are NEW to BMW since 2001. They didn't go then or to Spokane because they weren't members yet. A lot of posters talk about growth and the aging BMW clientele but seem quite narcisstic when it comes to their personal location needs. I truly believe the average club member of any organization does not appreciate the time, energy, and personal expense that goes into planning even small, local events let alone something of this scale. I'm positive the ratio of satisfied to whiner within the MOA is about 700:1. Some of the reason for the satisfaction is the positive involvement and camradrie built not just from riding together but the long hours of working as a team watching the plan come together from idea to paper to implementation with the only real objective of putting on a memorable and quality experience for those that can attend. No one says you have to go to every rally and clearly not everyone can. If you think the portapotties were taxed this year, wait until all 35K of us show up for the party. It would seem we in the west are simply supposed to dedicate and plan all our vacation time every year so the rally can be in mostly flat, humid, rain-prone, bug-fests in the midwest? Why not the garden spots of central Nevada or the Mississippi delta in the middle of summer too? Isn't there a fairgrounds in Del Rio, TX? There was genuine excitement coursing through quite a few westcoast MOA members when they found out it would be out here next year. Now, it's your "opportunity" to ride across our beautiful country to a most excellent location loaded on all sides with outstanding roads and destinations. My club couldn't make Gillette and already had a long range ride planned for 2009 but we'll be in Redmond and we'll all volunteer too. We've already made our reservations.

I truly believe the average club member of any organization does not appreciate the time, energy, and personal expense that goes into planning even small, local events let alone something of this scale.

Well said. No matter the venue, someone would be unhappy with the choice. Human nature.

I'm excited to see some more of the West Coast.

If Redmond won't work for you, enjoy one of the many local rallies put on by a Charter Club. They are listed HERE

Deja Vu

I love west coast rallies. What a great reason to ride. The last Redmond rally, I made the Paonia "Top o the Rockies", the Grand Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon, Moab, etc. Spokane rally, I went through Duluth, ND, Bear Tooth Pass, Yellowstone, and the ride home: Pacific Coast, CA redwoods, Crater Lake, etc. See you there.:usa

... I thought they would wait at least three years to have another western rally, since Gillette, Wyoming was last year. How about one in Maine for example?

Glad you asked. Have you read the list of what is required in terms of space, local hotels,
seminar venues, infrastructure and such to support Our Gang?
We're a very demanding lot.
And the bigger we get, fewer sites meet our projected needs. :dunno

Feel free to pack and come up for a local/regional event, of course, the chances are not looking
good for us to be hosting the Big Event.

West Coast Rally

Please don't get me wrong, I'll be riding to the west coast. I just don't want to go to the exact same site. I'd love to do something along the Pacific Coast Highway. I'd love to do something in BC (I personally enjoyed Trenton). I am looking at a trip to Utah. I just really don't like the idea of the same exact site. I'm from Ohio, but I wouldn't want to do Lima again, nor would I want to do Midland, MI or any of the other eastern or midwest locations again. And in all honesty, I'd go to Del Rio, TX if it were there. We've never been there. I use the rally as an opportunity to see new places, enjoy new restaurants and new roads, and to see some of my old friends. Same roads, same restaurants, and only 8 years since the last time. We haven't done a rally in St Louis that I'm aware of. If we're talking about doing an "easy" rally, let's do it right next to the club offices. How much easier could you get? I'd be all for a rally in Nebraska or Colorado or New Mexico. Just any place I haven't already been. One man's thoughts.

Is the 2010 rally in Redmond in the same location as the 2001?? That was an awesome location and my first rally......

Agreed, I dont think i was complaining about the place. I live in Arkansas, I much prefer rallies out west. Maybe thats why ive been to two out there and only one east or midwest, I enjoy the trip..............:thumb

Back