• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Recently moved to Philly

Z

Zanotti

I recently located to the western suburbs of Philly. I have a 2002 1150R and have been considering a new bike. There are no BMW dealers anywhere less than an hour drive from here that I can figure out.

Its either Hermy's far north of me, or DeSimone over in Jersey. In either case, an hour drive and a very long trip if there was a problem or maintainance issue.

I drove up to Hermy's one day, really ready to buy and couldnt get anyone to even help me. I had moved here from Florida and rather than go through all the DMV hassle (and it is a pain in PA!) I figured I would just take the $250 it cost me in DMV and Inspection fees and put it towards a new bike - hell I couldn't get anyone to even speak to me, let alone sell me a bike.

I havent been over to DeSimone yet, but again you have to reserve an entire day to get over there and talk to anyone. At this point, I might as well just drive down to Bob's and get better treatment, but I still dont know what to do about service. With the new bikes electronics, its tough to do much beyond oil anymore - just like their cars!

It has put me off buying a BMW, although nothing else really interests me.

What is the history here - there used to be two dealers, Main Line and Ottos, but I assume they have both dropped the line?

Anyway - what can I do? Ideas-

Thanks,

Z

I live in Bucks County, about 18 miles north of Philly.
Hermy's is by far and I really do mean by far the best dealership in the area.
They are also a very laid back dealership, by this I mean very, very low pressure.
Unless you ask for help they might have thought you were browsing. Last summer when they did a state inspection on my bike I took one of their demo's out for a test ride. When I came back I saw my bikewas in the same spot so I just thought they didn't get to it so I hung out for a while. After an hour or so I asked when the thought they could get to it. The reply was " Nick, it was done 20 minutes after you got here". That's Hermy's. Give Chris a call, he's the sales manager and give them another chance. I think you'll be surprised.

+1 on Hermys. Give them another try and talk to someone....anyone...there. Let them know what you are interested in and they will do whatever they can to help. I don't know of anyone who's ever left disappointed. Their service is top notch and if a loaner is available, Hermy has allowed me to take one home for a week.

DiSimone has moved to a new location and BMW seems to be less of an afterthought than it was at the previous location.

Bob has always taken good care of us however it's pretty far away.

Otto's stopped dealing bikes a long time ago. Main Line went out of business about a year and a half ago. The sad thing about Main Line is that they didn't notify anyone - not even the guys who had bikes stored there! If you are looking for local service, Joe Litchko from Main Line is still servicing bikes at Devon Hill BMW.

If you are looking to meet and greet, consider joining us this Saturday for breakfast. The Mid Atlantic Riders meet the second Saturday of the month. This month we will be in Newark, DE at Michael's Restaurant. PM me for details if you are interested.

+ 1 on Hermy's

Another satisfied Hermy's customer. They are truly a laid back group of people. I have dealt with both salesmen: Chris and Tom. It would be worth your while to try them again.

What they said. I'd give Hermy's another chance. I've only had good experiences there both with service and buying a used bike. It's a great place to hang out and there are a lot of nice routes up and back. I use a trip to Hermy's as an excuse to find some more nice roads between here and there. Probably headed up there this weekend.

+1 on Hermys. Give them another try and talk to someone....anyone...there. Let them know what you are interested in and they will do whatever they can to help. I don't know of anyone who's ever left disappointed. Their service is top notch and if a loaner is available, Hermy has allowed me to take one home for a week.

DiSimone has moved to a new location and BMW seems to be less of an afterthought than it was at the previous location.

Bob has always taken good care of us however it's pretty far away.

Otto's stopped dealing bikes a long time ago. Main Line went out of business about a year and a half ago. The sad thing about Main Line is that they didn't notify anyone - not even the guys who had bikes stored there! If you are looking for local service, Joe Litchko from Main Line is still servicing bikes at Devon Hill BMW.

If you are looking to meet and greet, consider joining us this Saturday for breakfast. The Mid Atlantic Riders meet the second Saturday of the month. This month we will be in Newark, DE at Michael's Restaurant. PM me for details if you are interested.

Thanks for the info and invite - I have kid stuff on Saturday morning. This is sometimes what keeps me from getting up to Hermy's or DeSimone - they (and most shops) are always closed on Sunday, the one day I ususlly have free.

It seems like a smart shop would close Monday/Tuesday and stay open on the weekends when many of us are free.

Z

I asked a M/C dealer once about Sunday closures, he said "We have to ride too", and since many fun bike events are on weekends, it made sense.

Been a Desimone customer for 6 years, and I have no complaints, as it's 15 miles from me so I am a lucky owner. They are very supportive of MOA clubs also. They are on their third location in the past few years, as the owner sold off his auto brands, so the BMW/Victory/Ducati/Triumph brands are now 100% of the focus.
I think any perceived pangs they had in the past few years revolved around the location switches. The new shop is nice.

Been to Hermy's only once, bought an emergency part, and that place is part dealer, part biker coffee shop, part campfire sans fire. If a salesman didn't jump on you, don't read too much into that, as they are like a town hall for the brand, and a top meeting place. I really liked the atmosphere in that place.

The ease of ride to each location would have to be the deciding factor.

+1 for DeSimone. I never take any of my bikes in for service. I make an appointment and they have someone come and pick it up. When it's done they bring it back and put it in the garage, They even clean it before bringing it back. They even have specials where they will do this for free if you have a regular service done.

They have a brand new store with just about every type of BMW, Ducati, Triumph on the floor, and Vince or Joe would just as soon talk bikes as sell you one.

I recently located to the western suburbs of Philly. I have a 2002 1150R and have been considering a new bike. There are no BMW dealers anywhere less than an hour drive from here that I can figure out.

Its either Hermy's far north of me, or DeSimone over in Jersey. In either case, an hour drive and a very long trip if there was a problem or maintainance issue.

Anyway - what can I do? Ideas-

Thanks,

Z

I'll add another +1 for Hermy's. I bought my 09 F800ST there a few months ago, and despite a few issues here and there I definitely recommend them. They struggled installing the alarm in my bike, but that's because 1)the process to install it is a mess, and 2)they haven't done very many. But they worked til they got it right, and that's all that matters.

And as others have mentioned, there are lots of fun roads to take to get there, so a definite plus!

Really??? Do you know if Joe Litchko can do a state inspection???

+ for DeSimone. Have been customer for abut 4 years. Lucky to live only a couple of mile from their new and improved shop/showroom.

Vince and Joe are great folks to deal with as are rest of the crew. Service manager is a bit too laid back for me... buts techs seem to know their stuff. Just got my bike back after replaement of main seal under warranty... no hassles and the bike had just been washed.

+ for DeSimone. Have been customer for abut 4 years. Lucky to live only a couple of mile from their new and improved shop/showroom.

Vince and Joe are great folks to deal with as are rest of the crew. Service manager is a bit too laid back for me... buts techs seem to know their stuff. Just got my bike back after replaement of main seal under warranty... no hassles and the bike had just been washed.

It's Devon. He picks up bikes and after service washes them. As far as I can see he treats them like he owns them. Go in the back and see if he is there next visit. If you think Carman in service is laid back...

They used to have a cork board in the old store. If it's in the new one take a look. Everywhere I go in the world on vacation I send them a postcard and they pin it up.

Really??? Do you know if Joe Litchko can do a state inspection???

I'm not 100% sure but I would give a call to Devon Hill BMW's service department and ask for him. He has voice mail and is pretty quick about returning calls.

TransAm in Litz

One other dealer to consider is TransAM in Litiz, PA (Lancaster area). I just bought a new RT at Hermy's and they are a good bunch.

Yes very low key dealership. No pressure.

Welcome to the area.

Good People

I bought my bike at Hermy's and since then I've been back for service, parts and accessories. I make the trip from my home in about 60 minutes so I have to take a whole morning to visit the shop. Well worth the time / distance!

A great dealer and very nice people.

Rob in the parts department has gone to great lengths to get the perfect fit on the jacket and pants I want. It's taken a couple tries, but I'm sure this time will be the one.

Darryl in the service department worked overtime to get my F800 GS to quit stalling in the rain. A very difficult situation for all.

Chris in sales got me out the door on Memorial Day weekend so I could enjoy my new bike for the holiday.

I didn't let ANYONE touch my last bike and I did ALL the service/warranty work myself. This is so different - I have a place to go where I can trust the people there!

Brian

I have friends at DeSimone, actually Vince has sold me a new (2006) Hammer, and my '93 K1100LT. He saved me from buying a Pacific Coast.

Hermy's just gave me a good deal on a '83 R80RT/RS. When it is time for a newer boxer, I will be back to Hermy's.

I travel through both areas, so, I get to frequent them both.

I have more than a few bikes, and Hermy's inspection is around $24. My official residence is PA.

Cheers

I thought your bike came from Hermy's. I remember seeing it on their website - I spend too much time looking at their used bikes.:laugh One can always dream...

lucky me

I thought your bike came from Hermy's. I remember seeing it on their website - I spend too much time looking at their used bikes.:laugh One can always dream...

I know what you mean, I spend way too much time looking also.

I was pleasantly surprised we came to a deal. I always wanted a boxer but I did not think it would happen anytime soon. After reading some articles here, I was suspecting! Not that I think the bike is bad, or that it can't go many more miles, in fact, I think they were generous and gave me a good deal. But on the other hand, I won't be crushed if transmision/spline/cyl head/bearing/carb work is needed. Thats the chance you take with older stuff - there is a luck factor involved. Kind of makes it more interesting!

We should get together for a ride, the "hotel" down from Hermy's is a great place for lunch.

BTW, did you ever get to the Abbey?

cheers

Can't believe I missed this post earlier but I have to give another shout out for Hermy's! Yes, they are low key but they are dedicated to taking good care of all of us as BMW owners/riders. If you are looking for a big, fancy "city" dealer with all the trappings of the multi million dollar strorefront they are not your place. However, if you are seeking a dealership composed of genuine lifelong motorcyclists and enthusiasts then they deserve a close look. They are also very generous supporters of any number of charitable undertakings (including my recent ride to Alaska - see www.2wheels2alaska.com) I live some 60 miles from Hermys (near Malvern, PA) but find myself heading out there all the time just to hang out as well as get services done, grab coffee, and ogle the latest offerings from BMW. Hermys Rocks!

Back