• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

riding for records: exciting or dangerous

I'm riding the fence

I think people who ride motorcycles have thrill issues. I know I do! Sometimes the best thrill comes when riding in the early morning as the sun rises, sometimes it comes by going fast.

Yeah, riding for records is dangerous but it is also exciting. Most of you know the feeling when your riding and suddenly the endorphines kick in.

Wait a minute..I missed it...whos the moderator?

Rob your not, Scott your the nuts and bolts IT guy, whos the moderator?

WHO's on first here?

I assumed he was talking about me, since I'm a moderator on the forum. I'm just not sure what being a moderator has to do with my position on the ride, though. As it is, I started this thread to keep such discussion out of the main thread for people who were following the attempt, so I'm not sure if I could be any more "supportive" given my stance on the thing. Also, unless I put my "mod hat" on, I'm speaking only for myself.

I really am glad he finished safely - though I don't care about any speed records.

I assumed he was talking about me, since I'm a moderator on the forum. I'm just not sure what being a moderator has to do with my position on the ride, though. As it is, I started this thread to keep such discussion out of the main thread for people who were following the attempt, so I'm not sure if I could be any more "supportive" given my stance on the thing. Also, unless I put my "mod hat" on, I'm speaking only for myself.

I really am glad he finished safely - though I don't care about any speed records.

dude, enough with the opinions already.;)

Numbers tell the story

Let's take a quick look at John Ryan's amazing run from Prudhoe Bay, Alaska to Key West Florida in 86.5 hours.

The distance is 5566 according to google maps.

5566 / 86.5 = 64mph rate of advance before sleep, food and fuel.

I read that John slept for a total of 8 hours which is also amazing but reduces the moving time to 78.5hrs.

5566 / 78.5 = 70 mph before gas or food.

At 35 mpg he would use close to 160 gallons of fuel. Let's say he is hyper efficient and was able to burn 12.5 every time.

160 / 12.5 = 12.8 which we'll round up to 13 stops for fuel. Let's again say he's hyper efficient for gas and each stop was 6 minutes long.

13 * 6 = 78 minutes or 1h:20m which I'm rounding off to 1.5 hrs for gas.

5566 / 77 = 72.3mph average speed when moving.

This is before deductions for power washing the bike, purchasing food and the fact that from Miami to Key West the posted speed is well under 65 (more like 40).

This is very, very impressive and indicates that John is amazing at managing risk or incredibly lucky.

I prefer to think it is skill over luck and yes Jim I admint that I don't have the skills to accept the kind of risk involved in maintaining the kind of numbers above.

My hat is off to those that do.

There's an old saying in endurance racing - " first you have to finish to finish first".
You have got to get yourself and your bike to the end without any damage, through many hours of unfamiliar roads, weather, traffic and the like. The succesful endurance rider will minimize these risks (in order to finish) and is hardly likely to be a danger to anyone else.
:violin

Thank You Rob.

I am betting on his risk management ability, after all he drives in the toughest place on earth, which is New York City.

I am also grateful that the US doesn't spoil spirited riding days with speed camera's.

:thumb

Unfortunately we are not too far from having cameras.

I prefer to think it is skill over luck and yes Jim I admint that I don't have the skills to accept the kind of risk involved in maintaining the kind of numbers above.

I prefer to think it is skill over risk management and luck, unless we just need a safety slogan. Luck seems largely, not entirely, home made.

"Action speaks louder than words but not nearly as often." -Twain

Ya know, Bubba, he was giving a polite response. Least you could do is offer the same. This whole thread is for opinions, isn't it?

You are right but I would discount it as cross talk between to guys that work together on the forum and are friends and not a flame.

back to lurking :lurk

I think people who ride motorcycles have thrill issues. I know I do! Sometimes the best thrill comes when riding in the early morning as the sun rises, sometimes it comes by going fast.

Yeah, riding for records is dangerous but it is also exciting. Most of you know the feeling when your riding and suddenly the endorphines kick in.

You've hit the nail on the head! If you go to the flightline on a military base, it is no simple coincidence that there is a row of fast bikes sitting in waiting. :thumb

Back